Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I'm not scared (Read 16,898 times)
del bosque
Silver Member

I'm not scared
19. Mar 2004 at 17:47
Print Post  

This is a link to a new Italian movie which is released by Miramax in the US in April. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
   It's available to buy on DVD (in Italian only) and, although I have no Italian and barely understood a single word I promise you that it is one of the best films I've ever seen on childhood.  Some might find it distressing and I did watch a lot of it through teary eyes but it is also about choosing to do good in an evil world, and this is stunningly portrayed. It's that very rare thing indeed, a coming-ofage movie which can compete on a level with films made for adults.  It does help also that the child actors are very well directed.  Believe me, you will want to see this:  it's the best film with a BoyActors theme since A.I. (and I could not offer praise more highly than HJO's greatest role).
« Last Edit: 02. May 2014 at 14:26 by YoungArthur »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: I'm not scared
Reply #1 - 19. Mar 2004 at 18:36
Print Post  
Thanks Del Bosque. I'm glad to hear Miramax has a release date scheduled. This is good news. They have a tendency to buy the distribution rights for foreign movies and then lock them up in their vaults and never release them. I think they do it to control competition. They're evil. (Actually, Harvey Weinstein is evil.)

Here's a previous thread on this movie, including a few pics: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #2 - 19. Mar 2004 at 19:43
Print Post  
Thanks, josephk. that is a wonderful thread (funny how much that can mean on BoyActors) - I didn't realise this had appeared here before (should've known !). One query is that the Italian DVD I have is titled "No Tengo Miedo" which sounds Spanish.  A total ignorant like me has no real idea why this is different to the movie title shown below as "Io non ho puara".

IP Logged

moviefanmike

BA Member

Reply #3 - 09. May 2004 at 19:06
Print Post  
I'm Not Scared is great!  Truly worth seeing.  Just saw it on the big scrren at a local theatre.  A very believable story of a kidnapping as seen through the eyes of a 10 year old innocent.  Both the cast and the locale were beautifully photographed, and the photogropher/director obviously loved his subject.  DON'T miss it!!!

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 10. May 2004 at 01:20
Print Post  

I'm Not Scared
Starring:Giuseppe Cristiano, Aitana Sanchez-Gijon
Drama

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 10. May 2004 at 08:25
Print Post  
akkk!

I keep reading how good it is. I've had this movie for several months and I've still not got around to watching it...  so that's it! ..  I'm going to go offline, settle down and watch this movie NOW.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 12. May 2004 at 20:12
Print Post  
Cal, did you watch it yet?

I saw it yesterday at the cinema and I absolutely loved it. I'm so happy to have had a chance to see it on the big screen, after missing it last year at the Montreal World Film Festival and feeling bad about it for like six months!

The movie is simply beautiful. It's definitely the best movie featuring a boy that I've seen in a long time. Great story, good direction and acting, cute boys. I have nothing but praise for this one and I highly recommend it to everyone here.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #7 - 12. May 2004 at 20:54
Print Post  
I'm not sure if Cal watched it yet, but I did, just two days ago!  It's as good as you say, and I loved both boys.  I almost jumped out of my chair one time during the movie, though.  Shocked

You know.   Wink

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 13. May 2004 at 07:33
Print Post  
yup..  I watched it.

I'd rate it a 8/10 because I didn't like the ending... kind of Hollywood like...  a disappointing cop out and the impact was almost completely lost.

The cinematography was beautiful (at times) and the boys were fine, in particular Mattia DiPierro as the kidnapped kid.

A couple of other things annoyed me too. Although Giuseppe Cristiano was very good as Michele, I thought he was too old for the role. His character was supposed to be 8 or 9 and he looked more like 11 or 12 to me.

I also found it a bit of a stretch that the kidnappers left the kid in a hole without a guard and also that Michele didn't tell his parents, or worse still, his friends,  the first time he saw the 'foot'.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 13. May 2004 at 07:59
Print Post  
I agree that the ending could have been better.

The actor who plays Michele does indeed look a little too old for the part, but in all fairness his character was 10 years old, not 8 or 9. There is a part when he talks to the kidnapped boy and they realize that they are the same age, 10. He's also in the fifth grade, so that makes sense. But you're right that he looks more like a 12 year old.

Although that sort of stuff usually bothers me a lot, it didn't in this case because the age difference is not as outrageous as what we sometimes get (in Billy Elliot, for example).

The minor plot holes (if we can even call them that) which you mention didn't bother me at all. It seemed like the entire village was in on the kidnapping (except the kids) and since they seemed to be located in the middle of nowhere there was really no reason to leave a gard there with the kid. And although Michele mpt telling his friends or parents when he saw the foot might not be what most kids would do, it didn't seem impossible. He doesn't seem to have a very good connection with the other kids he plays with, so it doesn't surprise me that he wouldn't tell them anything. And as far as telling his parents, it seemed natural to me that he wouldn't. Even if it was a bit of a stretch, I had no problem suspending disbelief.

I gave the movie a 10 here on BoyActors, because I think it will appeal very much to this particular audience. On IMDb, I rate films on different criteria, and I will probably give it an 8 or a 9. Haven't decided yet.

I'm glad you saw it and liked it, Cal. I hope others get a chance to see it as well.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #10 - 15. May 2004 at 23:54
Print Post  
I'm so happy that others here are finally getting the chance to see this film!

While I suspect the film is best enjoyed at the cinema rather than on the small screen, I also want to defend some of the criticisms levelled at it.

Both main characters should be 11 years old, asssuming that they had completed  5th grade (the film is set in summer), they would more likely be 10 if they were going into 5th grade in the fall.
While Michele was certainly further along the puberty trail than Filippo, I thought it was within the range of acceptability for that grade.

I also didn't find it odd that Michele didn't tell anyone right away about what he saw - he just didn't seem like that kind of kid. Eventually he did tell his best friend and look where that got him. By the time he might have opened up to his parents he realized they were in on it and like Vito from Flight of the Innocent (you are going to rewatch that aren't you, Joseph?  Smiley ) he found himself totally alone trying to rectify things.
I fell for this story in Flight of the Innocent and although I consider this film to be a derivative of that one, I still was affected by this film as well.
Del if you haven't seen Flight, please do seek it out and let me know what you think.

Watching the film was emotionally draining enough for me to accept the ending as is.

P.S. Sir J, I gasped twice (as did most of the audience at my screening)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 16. May 2004 at 12:00
Print Post  
I don't know where I got the 8 or 9 age from. On our database profile it says he's 9...  so I guess the origin of that info is partially to blame for my incorrect assumption. Anyway he still looks older than ten. I think also why I was a bit distracted over the age thing is that I'd have thought anyone ten or over would have had the sense to help the boy straight away... I mean he ran off and left the poor kid for at least a day, perhaps even longer before he returned... I find that pretty shocking...  something that an eight or nine year old might be excused from doing. I also found it difficult to have much sympathy for him for that reason as well.

I still think it's a very good film and on my next viewing I may be inclined to up my rating from 8 to 9.. but maybe not... that cop out ending will surely continue to bug me.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #12 - 16. May 2004 at 12:40
Print Post  
Well, you're entitled to your opinion, of course. I think that you're being too hard in your judgement of his character, though. I didn't really have a problem with any of the points you bring up. To me, his motivations all seemed well integrated into the development of his character.

**WARNING FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM : SPOILERS BELOW**

The only thing I agree with you about is the ending. The movie would have been better if Michele had died in the end. Everything was set up for a tragedy. He takes the place of the other boy to save his life, and he ends up being killed by his own father. The dramatic irony of the man killing his own son would have been extremely poignant. In terms of plot and form, that's a perfect ending, and it's how it would have ended if it had been a Greek or Shakespearean tragedy.

My guess is that this was how it was originally written, and then some of the producers thought it would be too depressing and decided to add the final scene where we see that the boy is going to survive and everything is going to be wonderful for everyone. I agree with you, it sucks.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #13 - 16. May 2004 at 15:25
Print Post  
<i>My guess is that this was how it was originally written, and then some of the producers thought it would be too depressing and decided to add the final scene where we see that the boy is going to survive and everything is going to be wonderful for everyone. I agree with you, it sucks.</i>

I would have cried my eyes out if Michele would have died.  Sad

On the other hand, my feeling was that Michele's father certainly wasn't going to have a "wonderful" future after that scene ended.  In fact, I'd imagine the entire adult population of that village was going to be doing many years of hard time in an Italian prison.  Besides that, Michele's mother was likely to beat her husband with a wet noodle.  Shocked

Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #14 - 16. May 2004 at 17:32
Print Post  
Hmm. You're probably right about the fate of the adult population of the town. But all the more reason to be angry at the fake happy ending. It seems like a cheap way out.

I would have been very sad too if Michele had died. But, of course, it's only a movie. And as a filmmaker you have to treat the story you're trying to tell with respect. If it's been building towards some terrible tragedy, you can't just bail out at the last second.

Anyway, I'm just arguing about this because it's what I like to do. Smiley Having said all that, I still tremendously enjoyed that film and consider it a great achievement. I just wish they hadn't compromised the logical ending to please the faint of heart in the audience.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print