Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Choosing Matthias (2001) (Read 4,212 times)
socksoles
Silver Member

Choosing Matthias (2001)
24. Mar 2004 at 16:07
Print Post  

Another independant movie production that seems worthwile to mention here. Haven't seen this one yet myself, but I found the storyline really interesting. Am curious if anyone here has seen this one already...

Storyline (taken from the official website)
The setting is the glory of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, amidst a majesty that seemed to touch the face of God. This is where Maggie grew up. For as long as she could remember the same people had come to fish, hunt or simply steal time away with their loved ones. The family store Maggie owns with her husband Charlie (Jeff Fahey-Lawnmower Man, Revelation) is the only place to stock up on bait, tackle and a good cup of coffee.

Life seemed perfect. Charlie was an undiscovered artist, but with the encouragement from Maggie they were finally making the leap and venturing far from their home to an elite art district in San Francisco.

Together with their small son Jason they packed the car and headed to the big city. It was perfect. The owner of one of the most prestigious galleries said yes. Their dreams were coming true. But after that meeting, everything goes horribly wrong. While Charlie and Jason wait outside the gallery for Maggie, Charlie's attention is distracted for only a moment and in that moment Jason is snatched into the hands of a stranger.

Two years later we find Maggie and Charlie in an almost unrecognizable state. Maggie is cold and unresponsive to her husband, having buried her son and her heart in the same steely coffin.

It isn't until Matthias (Dylan Kasch), a young orphan battling his own set of demons comes into their home and forces Maggie to choose life once again. It is with a supporting cast of the likes of Bo Hoykins (American Graffiti, Wild Bunch), Collin Raye (multi-platinum recording artist), Patty McCormack (Oscar Nominated Actress, The Bad Scotland), Bobbie Eakes (The Bold & The Beautiful) that we see how love, honesty, good friends and fishing tournaments can revive a heart and cause the human spitit to prevail.

Review by George Rigney (taken from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links))
Last Sunday I saw a film touching on a subject I am familiar with. "Choosing Mathias" is about a woman trying to deal with the loss of her son.

Independent films can choose a lot of subjects. Dealing with family matters can be a tough call as most of these subjects have been discussed in film. If a film does not have a exciting subject full of intrigue and mystique it can still have fine performances, a great music score and production, as "Choosing Mathias" has.

Jeff Fahey and Caia Coley give fine, solid performances. The supporting cast with Bo Hopkins gives a good backdrop to the story.

The story and camera work have good pacing and flow through out the picture. Jeff Fahey has been giving great performances for years. His solid presence shows in this warm vision of a small town put together by producer Michael Fiefer.

The world of the small town shown is an endearing one. I think the bones of a series is in this picture.

Dylan Kasch has the potential to form a character that we would want to watch as he grows up. Bo Hopkins is always fun to watch and has one of those great voices. This is a good family film that for people that have experience with family loss is also good therapy to watch.

I think the film could be a tribute to families all over that have suffered these kinds of personal losses. Caia Coley has a lot of talent and has done a pretty good job on her first film.

Movies' official website: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

DVD R1 has been released already and can be ordered through (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

'soles'

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:33 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Choosing Matthias (USA, 2001)
Reply #1 - 24. Mar 2004 at 18:08
Print Post  
Aaah, 'soles, you know I'll watch it.  Smiley

It sounds like a tear-jerker, but also one where there's a return to love instead of grief at some point because of a boy who needs it from grieving and wounded adults. Dylan Kasch sounds like an actor I'd like to see, and I can tell already that I'm going to like his character in this one.  Thanks for telling us about it!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 25. Mar 2004 at 07:14
Print Post  
I saw this movie on TV last year.  It's not bad but it's also probably not one that I'd want on DVD.

I find watching films about hysterical and/or depressed parents rather heavy going. Because of the death of their child they take the length of this movie to allow another emotionally needy child into their lives. They struck me as being selfish, so wrapped up in their own depressing little world. The whole thing is pretty predictable. Perhaps I'm being unfair.

I did make these caps from it though:

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 04. Mar 2005 at 23:27
Print Post  
I saw this tonight courtesy of Time Warner offering free Showtime this weekend.

Cal, you were too kind.

Caia Coley is the director, executive producer and the self absorbed mother. Her "performance" so drags down the film that I am grateful I didn't pay any money to see this. Dylan Kasch does okay in a fairly large part and Bo Hopkins was likeable in a small supporting role. But there is no way their positive contributions can counterbalance Coley's incompetence. This is a "Lifetime" movie of the worst sort. As dreadful a film as I've seen in ages.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 04. Mar 2005 at 23:51
Print Post  
I've seen bits of it again more recently and I've developed an even lower opinion of it as a result.

I've adjusted my rating from 6/10 to 5/10

Not as harsh as Zab's rating  LOL...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print