Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Fear of the Dark (2002) (Read 5,074 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Fear of the Dark (2002)
10. Apr 2004 at 10:48
Print Post  

FEAR OF THE DARK
2002, Canada

Two brothers home alone.  Ryan, the younger one (Jesse James) has a pathological fear of the dark.  Everyone, expecially the older brother,  Dale (Kevin Zegers), thinks he's imagining things.  But when the power goes out in a storm, will we find out there really ARE monsters in the dark?

This is probably Jesse's first real starring role.  He has had good parts with less screen time before.  [Bailey's Mistake, Puppies for Sale.]  Here, he is on for 90 minutes.

Here's Jesse...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Two other boys are seen briefly...

Daniel Rindress-Kay as Taylor

Charles Etienne Burelle as Young Ryan

« Last Edit: 22. Oct 2017 at 10:54 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Fear of the Dark
Reply #1 - 10. Apr 2004 at 11:31
Print Post  
Thanks, hosenhaus.  I hadn't heard of this one.   Smiley

I was pleased to see that there is a dvd of it available at Amazon.com.

While I was checking it out, I read some of the reviews there, and it certainly did get some terrible ones from those who aren't at least Kevin Zegers or Jesse James fans.  Shocked

Some reviews were okay, and even if they weren't positive, they were fair and didn't go on the attack in a personal way.  This one made me kind of mad, though:

<i>...this film fails the two most important credentials of any decent horror movie: it's not scary and the actors are truly awful. From the opening sequence, showing another slightly overweight pre-teen getting trapped in a basement (maybe Central Casting were having a sale on fat kids?), both a lousy script and no talent whatsoever (except possibly the abilities to over-act and waddle) to the closing scenes, complete with Mom and Dad and Morals (we almost expect to see Michael Landon waving at us from the corner!), 'Fear of the Dark' never once manages to create a sense of tension or of belief.

This is achieved through several things. The first and most annoying feature that negates any form of scariness is Brian Billings, done up like a rotund little Terminator, mincing around and screaming like a B-Movie in a strange hybrid exoskeleton/light suit. It's a ridiculous, hilarious image totally out of place with the proposed 'feel' of the movie...</i>

Well, that's just part of it, but it was so venemous that I thought the reviewer must have had a hidden agenda, and must have been the parent of the kid that Jesse James beat out for the part or something.   Undecided

I think I'll buy it, just to show my support for a pretty good little boy actor.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 22. Apr 2004 at 15:39
Print Post  
this movie was pretty good i think it was the movie  darkness falls was trying to be. i so glad jesse finally got a staring role. he was very good.k zegers was good. too. i noticed a mistake in the movie at one point  jesse goes in his room when the powers i  off he then porceds to turn on his night lights. i thought most night lighsts workd by hoking them to the  outlets if that is so then they would not have worked either.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 22. Apr 2004 at 15:56
Print Post  
Sounds good. Whatever movie Darkness Falls was trying to be, it didn't succeed very well.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #4 - 22. Apr 2004 at 18:31
Print Post  
Thanks!  I'm off to see if I can rent it.

IP Logged

BaBe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 03. Mar 2007 at 16:19
Print Post  
well youngarthur did u rent it u can buy for bout  £8 on hmv.co.uk if u live in the uk mate xxxnat

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #6 - 03. Mar 2007 at 20:40
Print Post  
Hi BaBe  Smiley I did see Fear of The Dark quite a while aqo. The boys did a good job and I enjoyed it.

I am ancient, just in case you were going to ask.  Grin

You can check out this movie as well as many other movies and actors, complete with member reviews, by clicking on the links at the top of this page.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print