Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Turner Classic Movies April (Read 5,271 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Turner Classic Movies April
10. Apr 2004 at 21:20
Print Post  
While I certainly don't have the energy to do a full Cameron treatment [Hi Cam :wavey: ] , here is a list of movies coming up this month on Turner Classic Movies (in the US) that might be worth looking over. All times are Eastern.
______
April 12th
1200am King of Kings
In this silent film, Cecil B. DeMille directs an epic retelling of the life of Christ.
Mickey Moore

400am The Squaw Man
After saving the life of a British aristocrat, an Indian maiden bears his child.
Dickie Moore
___
April 15th
1115am I Love You Again
A solid married man discovers he's forgotten a past existence as a con artist.
Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer
100pm The Miniver Story
A brave family comes together in the face of post-war problems
James (William) Fox
600pm Young Bess
The future Elizabeth I fights court intrigue in the turbulent years before her ascension to the throne.
Rex Thompson
__
April 20
800pm
__
April 22
815am Tough Guy
To save his beloved dog, a boy runs away from home, only to get mixed up with gangsters.
Jackie Cooper
930am My Pal Wolf
A little girl fights to keep her dog over her nanny's objections.
Bobby Larson Larry Olsen
1045am Banjo
A southern orphan has to leave her beloved dog behind when she moves North.
Lanny Rees
300pm

Gary Gray Tommy Rettig
Claude Jarman Jimmy Hunt
200pm Plymouth Adventure
Epic dramatization of the Pilgrims' journey to the new world on the Mayflower
Tommy Ivo

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Turner Classic Movies April
Reply #1 - 10. Apr 2004 at 21:29
Print Post  
Zab, I'm sure glad you did this post.  :bigok:

I've been anxious to see 'All Mine to Give' (April 20th, 8:00 P.M.) for quite awhile.  Jon Provost is in that one, and I've never seen it.  Thanks!   Grin

Oh, I think I'll try to watch 'A Child is Waiting', too, and I'm sure I'll check out the others that you've listed if they fit into my schedule.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 10. Apr 2004 at 23:28
Print Post  
Hey great, Zab, thanks!  I watched King of Kings 2 nites ago and forgot to look up the boy who played the cured cripple, Mickey Moore.  He was really cute - and DeMille has him tagging along thru just about every major gospel scene.  Smiley 

'Young Bess' is also well worth a look.  Rex Thompson is stunning in that.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 15. Apr 2004 at 23:13
Print Post  
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sir J, you are correct. All Mine To Give is a rare film, which costs a small fortune to own on VHS, and should be a priority, although it is breathtakingly sad. You must be warned, Jon Provost's role isn't very large - Rex Thompson is the boy lead.

The other film in the list that neither of you guys brought up is Tough Guy airing on what appears to be a theme day of kids and their dogs, April 22nd. If you like Jackie Cooper movies at all, you should try to see this one when it airs as it too is not available on video.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 20. Apr 2004 at 14:35
Print Post  
Don't forget this one tonight!   Grin

April 20
8:00pm  (7:00 PM Central!)

<b>All Mine To Give (1957)</b>
Genre : Drama

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #5 - 20. Apr 2004 at 15:16
Print Post  
Roger that!  Smiley  Thanks, Sir J.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #6 - 21. Apr 2004 at 00:44
Print Post  
Well, I watched it!   Grin

I was really impressed with Rex Thompson in 'All Mine to Give', and I recognized him immediately from his role as young Peter Duchin in the Eddy Duchin Story, which was one of my alltime favorites when I was a kid.  Smiley

I have a couple of pics of lobby cards from that movie that have Rex Thompson in them, and some pics of him from his appearance in what I think was the first movie version of 'The Winslow Boy'.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Here's something else that he appeared in that I didn't know about until tonight when I was doing some catching up about him, and it sounds like he might have a look-alike from the past that you can find out about if you read this short article. Smiley

<i>Du Pont Show of the Month:
The Prince and the Pauper

1hr 30min

Christopher Plummer, Rosemary Harris, Rex Thompson  ...more

This second presentation of the classic dramatic anthology Du Pont Show of the Month is a lavishly mounted adaptation of Mark Twain's historical novel The Prince and the Pauper.  Although virtually every film version of this work has either cast twin boys in the roles of young Prince Edward and his ragamuffin lookalike Tom Canty, or has employed split-screen photography to convey the impression that one child actor is actually two different people, this production aired live and was unable to recruit twins at such short notice. Thus, Rex Thompson, best known for his portrayal of Prince Chulanlongkorn in The King and I, plays Edward, while the remarkably similar-looking Johnny Washbrook, previously the star of the TV series My Friend Flicka, plays Tom. Twain's familiar plot remains intact, with the royal Edward and the peasant Tom trading places, leading to all manner of complications for the high- and lowborn citizens of 16th century England. Heading what was advertised as "a cast of 60" is Christopher Plummer as Sir Miles Herndon, who while seeking revenge against the brother who betrayed him befriends the incognito Prince Edward; Hurd Hatfield as that evil sibling, Sir John; Rosemary Harris as the brothers' mutual sweetheart Lady Edith; and Sir Cedric Hardwycke as the scheming Earl of Hartford, who knows that the youngster claiming to be the Prince of England isn't anything of the kind. Also seen is a very young Patty Duke as Edward's sister Princess Elizabeth. "{The Prince and the Pauper" was adapted for television by Leslie Slote, who spent much of the 1950s fronting for fellow writers who had been blacklisted. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide</i>

Oh well, that was a movie presented on TV, so maybe that will make this post correct to be posted in this particular forum.  I had to post it here, anyway, to give credit to Zab for letting us know that this hard-to-find movie was coming on cable this month.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J
« Last Edit: 21. Apr 2004 at 12:51 by Sir Jacob »  

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 21. Apr 2004 at 05:32
Print Post  
ShockedWOW ShockedWonderful and Beautiful as Great Pictures WinkThank to  Sir J for sharing!!

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 26. Apr 2004 at 00:48
Print Post  
You're Welcome Sir J!

I'm glad you got to see All Mine To Give without having to spend hundreds of dollars on ebay  Cheesy

This post was successful enough for me to compile a May listing, which I am working on now. I hope we can find something just as nice next month.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print