Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Kramer vs Kramer (1979) (Read 4,921 times)
boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Kramer vs Kramer (1979)
05. May 2004 at 20:22
Print Post  

Cheesy

Drama
Robert Benton's moving and well-observed adaptation of Avery Corman's novel about the aftermath of divorce stars Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep as the separating couple, Ted and Joanna Kramer. When dutiful wife and mother Joanna decides to leave Ted, an advertising executive, she also leaves him with the responsibility of caring for their young son, Billy (Justin Henry). The situation proves to be especially difficult since the workaholic father has never really taken care of the boy and, in truth, barely knows him. Things are rough at first, but as the two become accustomed to life without Joanna and Ted's caretaking skills improve, father and son finally develop a relationship. As Ted devotes more time to his son and less to his work, however, the latter suffers, and Ted's subsequent firing coincides with the return of Joanna, who wants her son back.

Despite the titular framing of a custody trial, KRAMER VS. KRAMER steps lightly around the complex issue, essentially concerning itself with the father's discovery of the joys and travails of being a parent. Hoffman and Streep turn in exceptional Academy Award-winning performances, and Benton crafts a memorable exploration of parenthood by wisely focusing on the tiny dramas of everyday life--such as the classic, heartbreaking scene in which Ted, on his first morning as a single father, tries (and miserably fails) to make french toast for his son--to capture the essence of a precious relationship. 
MPAA Rating:   PG.
« Last Edit: 08. Jul 2008 at 05:15 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: kramer vs kramer
Reply #1 - 05. May 2004 at 20:28
Print Post  
Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com essential video
Winner of five Academy Awards including Best Picture, Actor, and Screenplay, Kramer vs. Kramer remains as powerfully moving today as it was when released in 1979, simply because its drama will remain relevant for couples of any generation. Adapted by director Robert Benton from the novel by Avery Corman, this is perhaps the finest, most evenly balanced film ever made about the failure of marriage and the tumultuous shift of parental roles. It begins when Joanna Kramer (Meryl Streep) bluntly informs her husband Ted (Dustin Hoffman) that she's leaving him, just as his advertising career is advancing and demanding most of his waking hours. Self-involvement is just one of the film's underlying themes, along with the search for identity that prompts Joanna to leave Ted with their first-grade son (Justin Henry), who now finds himself living with a workaholic parent he barely knows. Juggling his domestic challenge with professional deadlines, Ted is further pressured when his wife files for custody of their son. This legal battle forms the dramatic spine of the film, but its power is derived from Benton's flawlessly observant script and the superlative performances of his entire cast. Because Benton refuses to assign blame and deals fairly with both sides of a devastating dilemma, the film arrives at equal levels of pain, growth, and integrity under emotionally stressful circumstances. That gives virtually every scene the unmistakable ring of truth--a quality of dramatic honestly that makes Kramer vs. Kramer not merely a classic tearjerker, but one of the finest American dramas of its decade. --Jeff Shannon --This text refers to the VHS Tape edition.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #2 - 05. May 2004 at 22:49
Print Post  

Thanks for posting the review of this one, boy55.   Grin

It's always been one of my favorite movies.  It was one of the scariest movies for me, too, having sons and always worrying about losing them in case of divorce.  That will really keep a guy in line, no matter how bitchy his wife gets.  Shocked

Wink

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

BoyHowdy
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 06. May 2004 at 01:13
Print Post  
Justin Henry became the youngest person ever nominated for an Oscar for his performance in "Kramer vs. Kramer", a record he retains to this day.

IP Logged

Will
Bronze Member

Lurker at best

Reply #4 - 06. May 2004 at 21:51
Print Post  
Quote:
Justin Henry became the youngest person ever nominated for an Oscar for his performance in "Kramer vs. Kramer", a record he retains to this day.

And it was so well deserved too. I watched this for the first time a few days ago. All I can say is wow! and *sob*...this dang movie had me in tears so many times, I thought I might need to get another role of Charmin...What a performance. One of the most powerful scenes to me was:

SPOILERS ALERT (maybe)....

In the kitchen, on their last day together and they are making french toast. Billy is just sitting on the counter and both are saying nothing at all. Then, Billy wraps his arms around his father and all you hear is a little noise which is obviously crying from Billy. It was perfectly done and was so tender and so powerful, though hardly a word was even said.

An awesome movie! I'm glad I bought it.

--Will Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 06. May 2004 at 22:54
Print Post  
I saw this movie at the cinema when it was originally released. I vowed never to watch a movie like this at the cinema again because it was too heart wrenching. Thank goodness for TV and video...  one can bawl one's eyes out in comfort and privacy at home.  :laughing:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print