Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic alex prior (Read 6,263 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

alex prior
19. Jun 2004 at 02:40
Print Post  
next monday on uk itv channel :

20:30 Pushy Parents?

One-off documentary about ambitious parents who pour all their time, energy and money into securing success and fame for their children.

They include Theresa, a single mum who has children signed up to a talent agency and who has modelling plans for her two-year-old daughter; Kevin Baines has been urging his daughter Marie into a showbiz career for 26 years; Elena Prior is determined to make her 11-year-old son Alex a star in the opera world; and Sue Hale, whose eight-year-old daughter Stephanie has been playing chess since she was two, and who has moved 200 miles to find a school where the game is on the curriculum.

Narrated by Mel Giedroyc.

i looked up alex prior - he's already famous Wink

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: alex prior
Reply #1 - 19. Jun 2004 at 10:53
Print Post  
Hehe.  I was surprised when that music started playing while I was reading about him at that website, apple (I guess it took a few seconds for it to load up), and I almost jumped out of my chair.   Grin

Hey, the kid does have talent!  I guess I'm wondering, "What's a parent to do?"  It seems like the general gist of this "pushy parents" argument is that it's bad, but when a kid has talent like Alex's, is it good or bad that they push him to develop it?   Roll Eyes

From that link:

<i>Alex Prior is an 11 year old singer, song writer and musician destined for a glittering musical career. He has been described as the "little Pavarotti" for the unusual power and beauty of his voice. Alex, a winner of 7 junior singing competitions, sings in seven languages. Born and raised in England, he is of English and Russian heritage. He is a great grandson of the famous Russian Theatre reformer Constantine Stanislavsky.
Since his solo debut in December 2002, he has been recognized internationally as a phenomenal young musician.
Alex has sung at London Arena, the Millennium Dome, at Tonbridge Castle Proms Spectacular, at the Moscow Kremlin, Carnegie Hall in New York, & The Royal Opera House. Alex has appeared on BBC1, BBC3, ITV, Classic FM TV, on RTN TV ( USA), BBC Radio, Voice of America, Radio Liberty, New Wave, & on numerous TV and radio stations in Russia.</i>

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 21. Jun 2004 at 03:11
Print Post  
it's good imo.

better than being indifferent, anyway.

from today's sun - picture at link.

Pushiest mum in Britain?

By SALLY BROOK

MEET mum Teresa Briggs whose four children – all under 12 – are signed up with a showbiz agency and working towards careers in entertainment.

Teresa is one of a growing number of pushy parents who drive their offspring to the limit at stage and dance schools all over the UK.

But are they really giving their kids the best chance in life — or robbing them of a precious childhood?

Teresa has high hopes for Jazmine, 11, Maize, nine, and Reggie, six, who are all cutting their teeth on modelling and advertising work.

Even two-year-old Millie Ruby is signed to an agency and Teresa is confident she will follow in their footsteps.

Jazmine is a keen dancer and her mum expects her to be a TV presenter.

But Teresa’s fierce ambition for her children is not always appreciated.

Other mums at Jazmine’s dance contests tell her to “give it a rest” but Teresa retorts: “Why pay £14 entrance if you are not there to win?

“If Jazmine is dancing badly, I say, ‘Jaz, that was c**p. If you are not going to make an effort we might as well just go home.’ ”

Jazmine, who has been in a number of adverts, including a TV commercial for Clarks shoes, feels the pressure.

Teresa, 32, says: “On Saturday mornings Jaz never wants to get up so I have to really get on her case. She will thank me one day.”

Teresa, who is on benefits after splitting from her husband last year, also expects Maize to go into the entertainment business.

Maize has appeared in an Asda ad with Julie Walters but is shy and often doesn’t want to attend castings.

Teresa, of Welwyn Garden City, Herts, says: “I use blackmail. If she does an advert in the morning, for example, I tell her she can have the afternoon off school.”

She believes Reggie will light up a future stage.

He recently earned £3,500 for two days work on a pizza advert.

She says: “He worked hard on that, getting up at 5am. They had to give him Smarties to keep him awake.”

But for Teresa, it’s all worthwhile, even though her children miss a lot of school.

She says: “They are all more confident and the money is good — at least £90 a day. It all goes into their bank accounts.

“If I thought I was wasting my time I’d let them stop. I am doing it all for them.”

The Briggs family feature in Pushy Parents? on ITV1 tonight, at 8.30pm.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 21. Jun 2004 at 07:11
Print Post  
Yes..  I'd rather see parents interested in discovering and developing talents in their kids. Sometimes it requires a certain level of coercion and manipulation on the part of the parents.

Kids are 'made' to go to school by most governments around the world.  I can't think of anything that's much pushier than that.

Some parents obviously cross the line and overdo it to the detriment of their kids but I'm guessing that most parents know when their kid has maxed out.

I've head of Alex prior to now   Grin

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 27. Sep 2005 at 05:00
Print Post  
he was making a personal appearance yesterday not too far from where i live - promoting his new album "just a boy".

Alex will be performing tracks & signing CDs
between 13:00 and 14:30 on 26th September at:
MDC Music & Movies Shop, Royal Festival Hall, South Bank,London SE1 8XX

unfortunately i had, a prior (!) appointment elsewhere - [appending my signature to a time-critical document concerning government business - i.e. signing on at the dole office]; afterwards i wasn't in the mood to make the journey.

on sunday he was interviewed on london regional tv news - i can't remember if it was itv or bbc : i don't think the interview's online.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 28. Sep 2005 at 05:21
Print Post  
Quote:
unfortunately i had, a prior (!) appointment elsewhere...

How droll!   Cheesy

"signing on at the dole office"*

OUCH!!  (and welcome to the club!)

*Proof that not all dole 'bludgers' are rotten apples Smiley

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #6 - 28. Sep 2005 at 15:29
Print Post  
I was also a member of that club several times over.
"Dole" is so much more concise than "unemployment compensation."

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 16. Mar 2006 at 04:51
Print Post  
alex is performing at the royal albert hall this easter.

Saturday 15 April will see a host of stars from the classical world perform at the Royal Albert Hall to support work in Africa.

G4 confirmed to perform as classical stars join together to raise money for orphaned children. Aled Jones and Myleene Klass will host Classic Response 2006 on Saturday 15 April which sees G4 added to the list of performers which also features (in alphabetical order) Alex Prior, Amici Forever, Amy Nuttall, Becky Jane Taylor, Cantamus, The Choirboys, Emma Johnson, Harry Harris, Joseph McManners, Julian Lloyd Webber, Nicky Spence, Operbabes and Russell Watson all accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Owain Arwel Hughes.

Aled Jones, who visited Sri Lanka for SOS in 2005, will visit Ghana this year to make a film about SOS Children projects which will be shown on the night. SOS Ambassador, Aled Jones said “Everything is suddenly put sharply in perspective when you see the suffering, but these children are given practical and emotional help by SOS Children. Nothing could have prepared me for visiting Sri Lanka last year, but I hope that the film we make this year will persuade even more people that sponsorship can make a huge difference to a child’s life.”

Over £155,000 was raised by last year’s concert, where SOS Children were able to reconstruct many family homes in Murthypudukuppam. They lost everything from houses, boats to fishing equipment in the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami but SOS Children continues to support children and families in many villages in the region enabling survivors to look forward to the future once more.

The concert was launched on Wednesday 25 January 2006 with a photo call at the Royal Albert Hall with Aled Jones and the 40 strong girls’ choir Cantamus. Andrew Cates, Chief Executive of SOS Children UK was delighted by the response to last year’s concert and hopes this years concert will be even better. “The Classic Response audience this year will be helping SOS Children to support AIDS orphans in Africa, but we would ask people not only to enjoy the concert, but also consider sponsoring a child so that your help for these children continues for the long-term.”

SOS Children is working in partnership with Playing Alive, to bring together a night of performers... to support work SOS Children’s work in Africa with AIDS orphans and Playing Alive’s projects with displaced young people in Sudan.

After the first Classic Response concert new homes were constructed in the Pondicherry province of southern India support families whose homes were devastated by the Boxing Day tsunami. You can read more about our work in the tsunami affected region here.

To join us next Easter at the Royal Albert Hall you can order your tickets at the Box Office 020 7589 8212 or via e (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IF you wish to support our ongoing work for orphans everywhere, then you could become a sponsor or regular donor.

soschildrensvillages.org.uk/charity-news/classic-response.htm

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 14. Apr 2006 at 03:56
Print Post  
alex was on bbc london regional tv news last night.

video is online for next 7 days.

click thursday - top right of screen.

he acts rather `gay` : not that that's necessarily a bad thing!!

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 17. Apr 2006 at 03:59
Print Post  
alex to appear at ballet-movie premiere.

Buy tickets to the Charity Premiere of Ballet Russes!(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Thursday April 20th from
5.30pm in aid of ChildAid

Curzon Soho,
Shaftesbury Avenue,
London

Champagne Reception from 5.30 – 6.30pm

Film presented by Directors and Producers Dayna Goldfine and Dan Geller, with guest appearance by Freddie Franklin, former dancer with the BALLETS RUSSES and star of the film

Guest appearance from Tony Hawks, comic writer

A performance from Alex Prior, young supporter of ChildAid with the voice of ‘little Pavarotti’

Film starts at 7pm

Post film party with food and drink

There will be a raffle with Ballets Russes memorabilia

Tickets can be purchased from Christine on 020 8460 6046 or email development@childaidrr.org.uk

For more information about ChildAid please see (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print