Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) songs in movies (Read 25,575 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

songs in movies
24. Jun 2004 at 04:36
Print Post  
the american film institute's just released a list of 100 favourite songs from the movies.

can we compose a fave list of 100 songs sung by boys in movies?

i nominate "tomorrow belong to me" from cabaret.

description from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

<i>One of the most powerful scenes depicting the Hitler Youth is a scene in Cabaret.

The scene takes place at a idyllic Bavarian or Berlin festival. The scene is light hearted. The camera pans to an innocent-looking young blond, blue eyed German boy singing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me".

He wears a light tan shirt. The camera slowly pans down until the Hitler Youth uniform with cross-strap and swastika arm band becomes visible.

The boy puts on his cap and gives the Nazi salute at the end of the song.

He wears below the knee knickerbockers tucked into heavy socks.

The shift from pure innocence to the sinister future is the most poweful momment in the film.

The inference of the song "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" becomes chillingly obvious.

In many ways it encapsulates the Hitler Youth.</i>

see german link below for full musicology.

carlinamerica link has the song - but i'm not sure if it's from the movie.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: songs in movies
Reply #1 - 24. Jun 2004 at 11:00
Print Post  
Hehe.  When I listened to that song from the Carlin America link, apple (you need to download it to your computer, and it's a Real Player file, but it won't open from the link at the website), I had the feeling that the boy who was singing it (if that was a boy) would make a good officer in the Army.   Grin

Well, it was the way he almost demanded that everyone join in halfway through the song.  The way he intoned "Everybody!" sure had me joining right in, so he wouldn't hit me.   Shocked

<i>The inference of the song "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" becomes chillingly obvious.</i>

What is equally chilling is to think about how many of those boys died "the day <i>after</i> tomorrow" because of the propoganda they were being fed in their youth.   Undecided

Very interesting post, apple!

I'll have to think about my fave songs sung by boys in movies, before I comment on that.  I'll try to think of ones less ominous than this one.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Tom
Reply #2 - 24. Jun 2004 at 19:30
Print Post  
How about Tommy Rettig in "The 500 Fingers of Dr T" singing "Just Because We're Kids" ??

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 24. Jun 2004 at 22:11
Print Post  
Thanks for mentioning that one, hosenhaus.  I want to hear it!  I haven't found the original version of "Just Because We're Kids" online yet, but I did find an interview from 1981 that Tommy Rettig did with High Times, and it looks like he didn't even really sing that song.  Shocked

In the interview, they're talking about how Tommy Rettig tried to get back into acting at age 20 (after suing to get out of his "Lassie" contract a few years earlier so he could live a "normal" life), and this is what it said about his singing career:

<i>RETTIG: I turned down some sleazy features. I had a three-picture deal in Europe and turned that down. I didn’t want to be typecast. Anyway right after “Lassie” I got into the music business. I had some offers to make a record-Ricky Nelson was doing it, after all. But even in “The 5,000 Fingers of Dr T” my voice was dubbed because l couldn’t t carry a tune.
HIGH TIMES: That never stopped Ricky Nelson.
RETTIG: Well, that's what they told me, but I've always been a perfectionist in my work and I wouldn't let them release what I'd cut. We cut like four or five tunes. The one they wanted to release was called “An Organ, a Candle, and a Bible.”</i>

The interview:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

boy55
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 25. Jun 2004 at 11:34
Print Post  
Great link, I understand it. I don't blame on Sir J. Undecided

IP Logged

BoyHowdy
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 25. Jun 2004 at 23:52
Print Post  
On topic: "Food", "Consider Yourself" or "I'd Do Anything" from "Oliver!" would have been on my list. 

Re: Tommy Rettig, Discovery Kids channel is showing "Jeff's Collie" at 4:30AM(ET).  I'm glad since Disney took off "Lloyd in Space" in that time slot.  Smiley

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 27. Jul 2004 at 17:38
Print Post  
Great idea for a list! I also nominate any song from "Oliver!"

IP Logged

dad
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 27. Jul 2004 at 21:47
Print Post  
I nominate a song called  my great escape,  from  the cure, i love hearing the song, and watching joseph mazzello looking so innocent and pure, rafting down the river. I wish marc cohn, the singer would put that song out on cd.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 28. Jul 2004 at 09:27
Print Post  
I object your honor!!

Group nominations of 'any song' or 'all songs' from a movie should be disallowed.  If a song is good enough the title should be remembered    Smiley

I'll second 'Tomorrow Belongs to Me'...  a great song from a great movie.

..and I'll add another couple of nominations:

'Suo Gan' Soloist James Rainbird from the movie 'Empire of the Sun'.

'High Hopes' Eddie Hodges (and Frank Sinatra) from the movie "A Hole in the Head".

How about young Michael Jackson's 'Ben' from the movie of the same name.

The famous Joselito performed many songs. I'd have to refresh my memory on the best ones.

..and what was the name of the song that Thomas Sangster had a go at in Bobbie's Girl. It was a captivating scene even though he was out of tune.

Does TV count?

Perhaps Anthony Way  in 'The Choir'...  'Pie Jesu' or 'In Paradisum' or 'Panis Angelic', etc

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #9 - 28. Jul 2004 at 11:46
Print Post  
<i>Perhaps Anthony Way in 'The Choir'... 'Pie Jesu' or 'In Paradisum' or 'Panis Angelic', etc</i>

Oh yeah, Cal, I'm glad you mentioned Anthony Way!

Actually, it was one Sunday afternoon when I had nothing else to do, that I saw "The Choir" on our public broadcast network here, and I realized that there were other fantastic boychoirs out there besides the Vienna Boys Choir, whose tapes and records I had always bought when I'd been able to find them pre-Internet days.  Luckily, I wrote down the phone number at the end of that broadcast to purchase the music from "The Choir", and when it arrived I even used their enclosed order form to order a couple of more copies, thinking I would share them with others.  So, I started looking for more Anthony Way recordings, as soon as I learned how to use the Internet to do searches.  Smiley

I won't tell you the whole story, but that is what started me into collecting boychoir music, and I now have over 160 cd's done by over a hundred different boychoirs or boy soloists, and add to that on a weekly or monthly basis, when funds allow.

Anthony Way started all of that for me.   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #10 - 28. Jul 2004 at 16:57
Print Post  
Judy Garland's 'Over The Rainbow' from Wizard of Oz.

Ok, I'm leaving, I'm leaving. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 29. Jul 2004 at 05:02
Print Post  
10 lashes with the cat 'o' nine for YA.  Smiley

On second thoughts maybe we should allow girls...

How about 'On the Good Ship Lillipop' by that moppet named Shirley Temple..  or even better... "Meet me in St Louis" by Margaret O'Brien.   Grin

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #12 - 29. Jul 2004 at 21:27
Print Post  
I'm sorry I missed this thread (I don't usually read this forum), having now seen it I couldn't resist putting together my additions.

My nominees for best songs sung by boys (at least in part) in movies

6) Mit navn er Dennis P Stefan Pagels Andersen in Mirakel

5) I'm A-Runnin Rufus Wainwright in Tommy Tricker and the Stamp Traveller

4) Wise Up Cast in Magnolia

3) Dig It Cast in Holes

2) Dream Stuff Tommy Rettig's voice double (& me  Grin) in The 5000 Fingers of Dr. T

1) My Campfire Dreams Bobby Breen in Make A Wish

Following up on Dad's suggestion I would also propose these nominees in the category of favorite song in a boy movie.

6) Candle On The Water in Pete's Dragon

5) Feed The Birds in Mary Poppins

4) Hushabye Mountain in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

3) Du er ikke alene in Du er ikke alene

2) Boum in Toto le héros

1) Du er et nul in Mirakel

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #13 - 29. Jul 2004 at 23:16
Print Post  
<i>1) Du er et nul in Mirakel</i>

I don't know which one that was.  Shocked

I remember the dream where he was rapping and they had the ballroom dancers at the beginning, but the avi version that I got to see was not subtitled, so I didn't understand any of the words to anything.  Not even the songs.   Undecided

He was a talented kid, though!

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #14 - 30. Jul 2004 at 18:12
Print Post  
Sir J,

Du er et nul is the production number near the start of the film where Dennis P's teacher is explaining what a cool guy he is. I just love the lounge lizard look!  Cheesy

The rap that you mention at the very start of the film is Mit navn er Dennis P.

If you still have the file and would like to understand what the characters were saying, a complete English translation is available at (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

just click on Dialogue List - Feature, UK and download the document.

You can also download 4 production stills in high quality full screen format and some other goodies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print