Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Turner Classic Movies July 2004 (Read 5,022 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Turner Classic Movies July 2004
29. Jun 2004 at 23:44
Print Post  
The following are movies that might be of interest on Turner Classic Movies in July. All times are CENTRAL.

This month I will again mark all those films not known by me to have been released on video with a thumbs up. This is NOT a specific recommendation, merely a sign that the particular film may otherwise be unavailable.

Following the tradition started by Cameron, I have made every attempt to be inclusive. Some of these films may have relatively brief appearances by the boy actors listed. I enjoy reading commentary on any new film that you may have watched after reading about it here.  Smiley
12:00 NOON

2:30pm National Velvet
A British farm girl fights to train a difficult horse for the Grand National Steeplechase.
Jackie 'Butch' Jenkins, Terry Kilburn

7:00pm
5:00am Thumbs Up: Scarlet Coat
An American officer goes undercover to unmask a Revolutionary War traitor.
Bobby Driscoll [Bobby was 18 when this was released but I think I've heard others here mention that they wanted to see all of his films.]

7:00am

2:30pm The Pride Of The Yankees
Baseball legend Lou Gehrig faces a crippling disease at the height of his success.
Douglas Croft, Gene Collins, David Holt, Bobby Winkler

5:00pm

7:15pm Yankee Doodle Dandy
Spirited musical biography of the song-and-dance man who kept America humming through two world wars.
Douglas Croft
4:30am

8:00am Village of the Damned
After a mysterious blackout, the inhabitants of a British village give birth to emotionless, super-powered offspring.
Martin Stephens

4:30pm

7:00pm

9:00pm

4:15am

7:00am Thumbs Up:

8:15am Thumbs Up: Nancy Drew - Detective
A teen-aged sleuth investigates a wealthy woman's disappearance.
Frankie Thomas, Tommy Bupp
1:45pm Thumbs Up: Mayor of Hell
A racketeer goes straight to run a reform school.
Frankie Darro, Farina Hoskins,Sidney Miller, Raymond Borzage, Charles Cane, Andy Shuford , Beaudine Anderson
6:30am Thumbs Up: Star Witness
An old man who witnessed a crime is threatened by gangsters.
Dickie Moore, George Ernest, Harry Watson

3:15pm The Man Who Knew Too Much
International spies kidnap a doctor's son when he stumbles on their assassination plot.
Christopher Olsen

5:15pm Thumbs Up: Ransom!
A wealthy couple tries to cope with the press and the police when their son is kidnapped.
Bobby Clark, Charles Herbert
11:00pm

9:00am Cahill U.S. Marshal
A tough lawman has to bring in his own sons for a train robbery.
Clay O'Brien
5:15am The Trouble With Harry
A corpse creates a world of trouble for several passersby who each believe they may have caused the death.
Jerry Mathers

9:00pm Fahrenheit 451
Adaptation of Ray Bradbury's futuristic novel about a society where literature is outlawed.
Denis Gilmore, Mark Lester
3:15pm

7:00pm Citizen Kane
The investigation of a publishing tycoon's dying words reveals conflicting stories about his scandalous life.
Sonny Bupp, Buddy Swan
5:00pm Citizen Kane
The investigation of a publishing tycoon's dying words reveals conflicting stories about his scandalous life.
Sonny Bupp, Buddy Swan
1:00pm

5:00pm

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Turner Classic Movies July 2004
Reply #1 - 30. Jun 2004 at 00:40
Print Post  
There's some good ones here, Zab!   Grin

Yes, I do want to see that Bobby Driscoll movie, and it'll be okay to see him as he got a bit older.  Smiley

Thanks for going to all of that trouble to do the links to our BA database, so it's real easy to check out what details are known about each of'em.  I know you must have spent quite a bit of time doing that, and your efforts are truly appreciated!  :bigok:

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 30. Jun 2004 at 02:09
Print Post  
Thank you, Zab.  Much appreciated as always. Smiley

I don't know if I got this right, but its close:
"...and he died as he knew he would, as the first snows of winter were falling."

A lovely scene which occurs in one of the movies you listed.  Anyone know which one?

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 30. Jun 2004 at 08:54
Print Post  
Quote:
"...and he died as he knew he would, as the first snows of winter were falling."

A lovely scene which occurs in one of the movies you listed.  Anyone know which one?

Hehe.  No, I don't.  Not really, though I know I should.   Grin

But, just looking at the quote and thinking about the movies, I'd say it's got a chance to be from 'To Kill A Mockingbird'.   Wink

Well, it's got a better chance to be from that one, than from 'Uncle Buck', I'd imagine.   Roll Eyes

'The Yearling', 'Citizen Kane', and 'Sounder' are pretty literary too, though, and might have a narrator telling the story.  I just can't remember, because I'm old and forgetful.  I'd place a bet on it being 'To Kill A Mockingbird', though.   Tongue

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 30. Jun 2004 at 17:55
Print Post  
I'm afraid you have me stumped as well, YA.

I'm sort of a poser on this topic. I think only 4 of these films are younger than I am  Smiley

I don't remember the quote from any of the ones that I have seen. If I were guessing, I'd go with Night of the Hunter only because I know it's a favorite of yours.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #5 - 30. Jun 2004 at 20:57
Print Post  
Oh heck, I won't make a big deal out of this  Smiley  It's from Fahrenheit 451.  In the camp at the end where all the refugees from the book-burners are memorizing their books to keep them safe, a dying old man is reciting his book to a boy who is earnestly trying to memorize.  The scene shifts to the boy reciting the text, suppressing a tear, while the old man does indeed lie dead while the first snow falls.

The book is one of Robert Louis Stevenson's but I don't remember which one.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #6 - 30. Jun 2004 at 21:33
Print Post  
Well, no wonder I didn't know.  I've never seen Fahrenheit 451.  Shocked

I do want to see it now, though, since I see that Mark Lester is in it.  Smiley

Thanks for the little tidbit, YoungArthur!  (And thanks for not asking me how much I was willing to bet.)   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #7 - 01. Jul 2004 at 02:54
Print Post  
Darn, I clean forgot to ask how much you wanted to bet! Shame on me. Oh, don't expect to see a whole lot of Mark Lester in that one.  But he is very cute in the one little scene I remember - and wearing shorts too. Smiley (if I remember right)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 01. Jul 2004 at 20:17
Print Post  
I haven't seen Fahrenheit 451 yet either. I do have it in a pile of tapes to watch though. What did you think of the film, YA?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #9 - 02. Jul 2004 at 04:29
Print Post  
What do I think of the film? Well, its not a boy movie as you no doubt surmised;  I would call it "social science" fiction and I will watch it anytime I come across it, although I do not have my own copy. I find it interesting and fascinating maybe partly because its based on a book I enjoyed as a young man and also because it is Francois Truffaut's first english speaking movie.  Most of my relatives who bothered to watch it think it is just 'strange.'Grin  But that's the story of my life. Roll Eyes  The title, by the way, refers to the temperature at which book paper is supposed to catch fire.

Cyril Cusack has an important part in it and I love his performance - comical and sinister as no one else can do it.  Julie Christie plays two parts; I don't know if you would consider that good news or bad.

Come to think of it, the film is one of the very few serious science fiction movies by serious directors to come along BK (before Kubrick).

One other point of interest:  Truffaut does a dream sequence scene in a style very similar to Hitchcock's, which Truffaut is known to have respected.  I think Francois must have seen 'Vertigo.'  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print