Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic mysterious skin (Read 5,586 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

mysterious skin
27. Jul 2004 at 04:16
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

brady corbet - a star of thunderbirds.

[pictured above squiring evan rachel wood to premiere of <u>thirteen</u> at arclight theater, hollywood : august 12, 2003.]

his next upcoming movie seems interesting!

adaptation of novel by gay writer, scott heim.

out.com says it's about <i>repressed memories, alien abduction, and child molestation</i>.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: mysterious skin
Reply #1 - 27. Jul 2004 at 13:26
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It looks like it could be a very interesting movie, apple.  Here's what was said on Scott Heim's (the author of the book) website about the book it is based on:

<i>"Wrenching...powerfully sensuous." — Christopher Lehmann-Haupt, The New York Times

"Heim is just as interested in the ways of forgetting as in the getting of wisdom. (He) blurs the boundaries between victor and victim, desire and disgust to explore each of them more fully. He has produced a serious and moving work: its delirium is never allowed to mask a clear-sighted acknowledgement that passing lust can leave permanent pain." — Time Out (London)

"Eerie, precise, emotionally complex, quietly charismatic, and full of grace, Mysterious Skin is one of the most accomplished and mysteriously pleasurable first novels I've read in years." — Dennis Cooper

"He creates scenes of genuine beauty, and handles his complicated characters and delicate subject matter with calm assurance." — Publishers Weekly

"The ending left me with tears in my eyes-which is about the highest praise I can make of a novel." — Philadelphia Inquirer

A book of wonders, a complex, wrenching story told so simply, yet with such beauty, that I'm tempted to say it's the greatest first novel by a gay writer under 30 since Other Voices, Other Rooms." — LGNY, New York

"BOOK OF THE YEAR. Technically daring but still intensely readable, Heim tackles current American obsessions with UFOs and pre-teen sex with spooky and unnerving beauty." — Roger Clarke, Attitude (London)</i>

This is one review of the book:

<i>Mysterious Skin
by Scott Heim
Scott Heim arrives with torrential explosions of the pre-sweetened and pre-fab. His bracingly erotic short story "Imagining Linc," burst from the pages of last year's Waves anthology with a bright, sexual zest. The tale climaxed with two mid-western teenagers lustily tangled up in an igloo-shaped snow cone shop, splashing each other with bottles of sweet syrup. Now, in Mysterious Skin, Heim's provocative and daringly imagined first novel, a pivotal early scene finds a grown male Little League coach seducing eight-year-old Neil McCormick by showering him in a rain of Corn Pops, Cocoa Krispies, Froot Loops and Alpha-Bits before having his way with the boy on his linoleum kitchen floor.

These eye-popping images are captivating for their freshness and vivacity alone. But as one reads his way through Mysterious Skin one senses that Heim, still under 30, has greater game in mind. Set largely in small-town Kansas (where Heim grew up) the book traces the paths of Neil and ball-club teammate Brian Lackey from the time of their abuse at the coach's hands until their late adolescence when the young men both begin to rethink this pivotal early experience of their lives.

The bland, canned and artificial sweetness of a Sno-Cone or a commercial cereal is unfortunately akin to the simplistic, idealized images of heartland America—and of "recovery" from abuse—that we get in so many art and media presentations. Particularly in gay men's fiction, coastal urban centers are seen as the hub of complex lifestyles and complex psychology. Heim (who himself moved from Kansas to Manhattan for graduate work at Columbia) blasts apart such condescending mythology by presenting two middle-American characters who are every bit as complicated and—dare we apply the word to our nation's breadbasket?—just as neurotic as the boys of Venice and Chelsea.

Heim has Neil transform his childhood abuse into a romantic delusion featuring the coach as an idealized lover who can never be paralleled by any other man. Brian, conversely, represses his abuse almost absolutely; when memories begin to resurface, he twists them into a solemn belief that he was abducted by aliens as a boy.

The alien plotline is Heim's most audacious gambit. It is handled with aplomb. Without being too overt or simplistic in his comparisons, Heim invites the reader to play with metaphoric notions of "alienation" among all abused youngsters, among gays and among perpetrators of child abuse themselves.

The novel's chief weakness is Heim's use of multiple first-person narrators. There are "Neil" chapters and "Brian" chapters and chapters narrated by other, less central, characters, but while the changes in point of view are clear, the characters' vocabularies and tones of expression are largely indistinguishable.

Minor quibbles aside, Mysterious Skin is an especially noteworthy debut. Heim not only takes take an overdone subject and makes it new, but also brings his keen insight to underexplored settings.</i>

Here's grown-up Joseph Gordon-Levitt who is one of the stars, too.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 27. Jul 2004 at 14:06
Print Post  
Oh! That movie is directed by Gregg Araki!

The least we can say about it is that it will be... interesting. Araki is a strange person. He directed a trilogy of semi-cult hits called Totally crappity smacked Up, The Doom Generation and Nowhere, all three of which star James Duval (the guy who played Frank, the giant bunny rabbit, in Donnie Darko). I have only seen the latter two.

The Doom Generation is probably his most famous movie. It's kind of a road movie about a teenage bisexual love-triangle on a crime spree, in which the characters frequently stop at gas stations and the total of whatever they buy always comes up to $6.66.

Nowhere is even more bizarre and involves a bunch of high school kids trying "to sort out their lives and emotions while bizarre experiences happen to each one, including alien abductions, bad acid trips, bisexual experiences, suicides, bizarre deaths, and a rape by a TV star." (That synopsis is from IMDb.) All of this takes place in Los Angeles in a 24-hour period leading up to the greatest party of the year.

Mysterious Skin sounds like it could be equally interesting.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 30. Dec 2013 at 21:35
Print Post  

Smiley I saw again this very good movie this evening. Chase ELLISON and George WEBSTER have a very good play in partis of 8 years-olds Neil and Brian. My movie rating is 9/10 !

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #4 - 01. Jan 2014 at 06:50
Print Post  
Yes, a very good film

Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print