Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Film festivals (Read 5,062 times)
Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Film festivals
30. Jul 2004 at 15:01
Print Post  

Hi all.
I know that there is a film festival in Montreal coming up. Are there any annual film festivals in the US that any of you have been to? I've never been to one but they sound like fun! Cheesy Where is Sundance held?

Love, Elliott

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Film festivals
Reply #1 - 30. Jul 2004 at 15:45
Print Post  
The Sundance Festival is held in Park City, Utah, in January.

There are lots of other film festivals in the US, but I don't really know much about them. Some other people here can probably tell you more.

The festival in Montreal, called the World Film Festival (aka Festival des films du monde, aka FFM), is in early September. I am going to be there.

There is also a pretty big festival in Toronto in August. Whereas Montreal showcases international cinema, including many small indie productions that you will never get a chance to see again, the festival in Toronto is much more commercial and americanized. A lot of movies that will play in commercial cinemas in North America open at the Toronto festival.

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 30. Jul 2004 at 16:07
Print Post  

Thanks, Joseph. Have fun and tell us all about it! Smiley

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 30. Jul 2004 at 19:01
Print Post  
There are film festivals of some description held in most major cities in the US, Elliott.

I've never been to Sundance it's a little too edgy and too self-important for me, not to mention Utah in January  Tongue

Some of the best US festivals that I am aware of are Palm Springs, Seattle, Mill Valley, Chicago, Cleveland, New York, Tribeca, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Hollywood, Denver and St. Louis.

My enjoyment at any festival is principally based on the programming. For me Montreal has had the most of what I want to see for the past several years and I hope they maintain this because I have booked another trip there for this year's festival. I have enjoyed myself at every festival I have attended except Heartland (Indianapolis) and that was primarily because I didn't get to meet anyone associated with the films I saw (which weren't that good).

P.S. to josephk: I'm glad you will be coming back to offer your perspective on the WFF this year as well. It's less than a month away, I can't wait!  Smiley

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 30. Jul 2004 at 20:21
Print Post  

Do you know already what films will be shown at WFF?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 30. Jul 2004 at 23:41
Print Post  
The programmation and screening schedule for the Montreal World Film Festival will be officially available on August 21. However, we might be able to find out what films are playing as early as August 10. Check the website for updates. (All the press releases are available online.)

For now, only a few special events and screenings have been announced, such as the opening and closing films. It does look promising, however, as the French film Les choristes has been chosen as the closing film. More information on that film available here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

WFF Website: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print