Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) E.T...the alien tear Jerker:p (Read 7,474 times)
RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

E.T...the alien tear Jerker:p
02. Aug 2004 at 14:31
Print Post  
I watched "E.T" for the bazillionth time last week, and no matter how many times I see it , I always cry at the end (Man tears fo course) Tongue lol But really, It stirs like every single emotion you have. That is such an awesome movie. I was like 2 when it came out, but I would have loved to have seen it in the movie theatre. It would have been like when I seen "Jurasic Park" in the theater for the first time. That was a truely surreal moment. I was in awe. I think thats when my love affair with movie's began Smiley In a way it kind of changed my life.

Anybody else have movie momments that they will never forget?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: E.T...the alien tear Jerker:p
Reply #1 - 02. Aug 2004 at 14:58
Print Post  
I loved E.T. too and I have teary eyes at the end every time. Wink
I love the way certain lines of dialogue echo thru the movie with different meanings each time:
"I'll be right here."
"Be good."
"He came to me." and others.

Well - my first awesome movie moment ever goes back to 1953. Shocked  It was the farewell scene at the end of 'Shane' which I saw as a boy.  I'm sure this was the point where I really woke up to movies and fell in love with them.  I could talk about this movie all day, it was so beautifully written and crafted.  I won't, though.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

Reply #2 - 02. Aug 2004 at 15:23
Print Post  
Quote:
Well - my first awesome movie moment ever goes back to 1953. Shocked  It was the farewell scene at the end of 'Shane' which I saw as a boy.  I'm sure this was the point where I really woke up to movies and fell in love with them.  I could talk about this movie all day, it was so beautifully written and crafted.  I won't, though.  Roll Eyes

Lol...yea, I teared up on that one too, when I seen it couple yrs ago.

Another tear jerker is Ricky Schroder in the movie "The Champ". When he's pleading "Champ wake up champ"..OMG, it totally breaks your heart Sad. What an awesome acting job. I wanted tto jump into screen and hug him Sad.

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 02. Aug 2004 at 15:37
Print Post  
I felt the same way when they shot the gorilla in 'King Kong', when I was a kid.   Sad

Oh wait, that wasn't a boymovie.  Sorry for the off-topic post.  I'll do better next time.   Embarrassed

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 03. Aug 2004 at 11:18
Print Post  
I saw Shane a few days ago. I hadn't seen it for many years and I agree about the ending, it was very powerful.

A pity about some other aspects of the movie though...  the bar room fight was pretty badly done... totally unbelievable...  and Jack Palance was overly stereotyped as the bad guy complete with scowl and dressed in all black...  sometimes I felt like I was watching a western lampoon rather than a serious film.

The part that makes me get misty eyed in ET is when the flower revives and Elliot suddenly realizes ET is still alive.  Has Spielberg ever made a movie without a big sentimental scene?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #5 - 03. Aug 2004 at 20:33
Print Post  
Cal - That's strange; I thought the fight scene was the best I ever saw in a film.  Most exciting, I mean, not the most realistic. Most American westerns are mythic and I think Director George Stevens deliberately paid homage to just about all the mythic details, including the guy getting hit over the head with a chair and getting up again, instead of being out for a week, or dead.  Grin He did, however, show fist fighters with bloody faces and guys getting hit in the face and staying on their feet.

I wouldn't call Jack Palance's character a stereotype - more like an archetype.  Again, all the details you didn't like I think were deliberate.  He was the essential bad guy, Shane the essential good guy. The whole movie is, to me, more like an allegory than a realistic story.  Even the location of the shoot, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, is just a bit too idyllic to be realistic.  I've been there and it is one of the most gorgeous stretches of isolated territory in the US.  I kind of doubt if any real western homesteaders were treated to such scenery. Wink

I still love the movie, but I've seen it so many times I'm almost sick of it - if that makes sense.  ???

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 03. Aug 2004 at 21:28
Print Post  
I haven't seen Shane, but I recently read an essay that described how the film is basically representing the perspective of the boy. According to that critic, Shane was represented as an ideal hero and, by contrast, the villains were also idealized. Even the violence and fight scenes, I think, are mostly shown from the boy's perspective. I would assume then that it was deliberate that they appear slightly unrealistic and stereotypical.

That essay was really good and made me want to see that movie as soon as possible. More generally, it also talked about how children were used in classic Westerns to represent the hope for future generations, and how that tradition was reversed in Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch, where children are assimilating and even immitating the violence. (This is a very simplified and even dumbed down summary I am giving you.)

That essay was in a book I am currently reading called Children in the Movies, by Neil Sinyard. The book is unfortunately out of print, but I am reading it at the university library. (I can even borrow it, cause I don't have a membership, so I have to read it in the library.)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 03. Aug 2004 at 22:18
Print Post  
Joseph,

I often think of you as being something of a 'student' of film. Get ye a copy of Shane and watch it. Despite my criticism I think Shane is still an excellent movie. I understand YA's desire to regard the film as an archetype and that's fine by me. If one is to study the composition of the classic western genre it stands up as an ideal model. The Wild Bunch is of course another fine example of the genre, but my favourite western has always been 'The Searchers', with perhaps 'The Good, The Bad and the Ugly'  and 'My Darling Clementine' as runners up.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #8 - 24. Jan 2005 at 23:28
Print Post  
E.T. is very good movie.  And Cal talk about Shane too.  I like both film very much.

In E.T. it is funny when Elliot sees E.T. dressed up in doll clothes and he puts hands on his head and say "Oh God".

I seen new scene in E.T. on new dvd and I wonder why it got cut first movie.

Last part of Shane is good.  I also like tv series Shane they show re-runs on tv-land station and it got Christopher Shea as boy.  In movie Shane the end is very sad.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #9 - 25. Jan 2005 at 16:15
Print Post  
Quote:
I seen new scene in E.T. on new dvd and I wonder why it got cut first movie.

proberbly because you have the re-released version of E.T.

Speliberg did some enhancements to the movie Smiley

check out the DVD extras Wink

IP Logged

Ghostbear13
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 25. Jan 2005 at 21:08
Print Post  
Ah great now I have to watch E.T. tonght I haven't seen it in years cause it's such a tear jerker:'(.My first movie that made me cry when I was a kid Lassie.I loved that dog.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #11 - 25. Jan 2005 at 22:21
Print Post  
First movie I remember make me cry was "Second Best" when dad die and boy helped man who adopt him feel better.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #12 - 25. Jan 2005 at 23:23
Print Post  
I also think of movie Men Dont Leave and at end of movie I cry too when boy run to his old home in rain and hide in play house in back yard.  When boy Charlie Korsmo see mom cry and he cry I cry too.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #13 - 26. Jan 2005 at 04:39
Print Post  
The movie that made me cry the most was the musical 'Oaklahoma' which I saw at the cinema when I was a kid.  There were three cinemas in my town and I went to the wrong cinema so I saw the wrong movie. I still hate that movie..  it BORED me to tears.

I had tears of another kind when I saw The Wizard of Oz...  it freaked me out so much I cried at night scared that the witch was coming to get me on her broomstick.

But if it's sadness that's the issue..  then Old Yeller had me blubbering the most.

As for 'boy' movie...  'The Cure', 'Au Revoir les Enfants' and My Girl are three that come to mind as being tear inducing.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #14 - 26. Jan 2005 at 11:28
Print Post  
Old Yeller is best.  and book even better too.

Jasen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print