Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic technical question - DVD region code problems (Read 5,593 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

technical question - DVD region code problems
02. Aug 2004 at 19:02
Print Post  
Hi everyone. I have another technical question.

When I bought my computer, I was under the impression that I would be able to play DVDs from any region on my DVD drive. I know that computers are region-locked, but I had heard that there was software you could get to fool the computer into thinking you were playing DVDs from your region when they are in fact from any region.

Since I got my computer two years ago, I have been hoping to find that magical software I heard about, but haven't tried anything that worked so far.

Someone recommended a thing called Region Killer to me. I installed and and it seems to be running properly. However, what I realized after installing it is that it will only work if my DVD drive is region free.

???

What? I just don't get it? What's the point of having a region killer if it only works on a machine that is already region free? I thought that was the whole point of the region killer?

Anyway, my DVD drive is set to region 1 and I'm starting to believe that there is nothing I can do to change that.

If anybody knows of a way around that problem, please share your expertise with me. I have a few Region 2 DVDs I'd like to watch and I can't afford to buy a region-free DVD player on E-Bay.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: technical question - DVD region code problems
Reply #1 - 03. Aug 2004 at 11:59
Print Post  
Joseph,

I use a nice little program called 'DVD Region Free' ...  it automatically overides the region lock every time I run a DVD on my puter.

If you can't find a copy of it lemmie know and I'll send you a copy of mine.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 03. Aug 2004 at 14:30
Print Post  
But Cal, have you checked to see if your hard drive is region locked?

I've done some more research and from what I understand, reigon coding is a problem at three levels on the computer:

1. the dvd drive itself
2. the operating system (e.g., Windows)
3. the dvd software (e.g., Power DVD)

The DVD you want to play has to match the region code of all three of these, or else it won't play.

The Region Killer I downloaded and installed on my computer seems to take care of the operating system and Power DVD, but it cannot override the DVD drive's region locking.

Some DVD drives are region free. Mine isn't. From what I read, the only way to play any-region DVD on such a drive is to replace the firmware with hacked firmware (available on some websites). This, however, is a dangerous operation, because if you crappity smack it up it can ruin your DVD drive.

As is always the case when trying to find technical information about computers on the Internet, I've getting all sorts of contradictory info from different sources, so it's possible that everything I've just explained is just bullshit.

I'll have a look for the software you recommend. I will let you know if it works.

Thanks.

IP Logged

pyjamaboy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04. Aug 2004 at 16:32
Print Post  
Dear Joseph,

Use a program called AnyDVD . It breaks all layers of protection , and can even be used on region locked drives without any problems.

visit the website (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #4 - 05. Aug 2004 at 15:04
Print Post  
DVD Genie Wink

do a google search for it, it resets the region counters on all major proggys Smiley

I use it, swear by it, and have used iot for a few years now Smiley

and its FREE!!!!!!  Cheesy

Teddy Hugs

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #5 - 05. Aug 2004 at 15:05
Print Post  
another way round it is to have one computer for each region of DVD Smiley

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 05. Aug 2004 at 15:16
Print Post  
OK, I'm convinced. I tried AnyDVD and it works. So whatever information that other website gave me was bullshit. (Glad I didn't try to replace the firmware on my hard drive!!)

Only problem with AnyDVD is it's not free. I have 21 days to buy the licence of my computer will self-destruct (or something like that).

If you guys say DVD Genie and Region Free DVD do the same thing, I'll try to hunt them down and install one of them. Hope it works.

Thanks, guys.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #7 - 05. Aug 2004 at 20:15
Print Post  
Huge thanks from me too!  I haven't even really gotten into other-region DVDs as yet but you guys have given me a flying start.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #8 - 11. Aug 2004 at 11:30
Print Post  
Quote:
Only problem with AnyDVD is it's not free. I have 21 days to buy the licence of my computer will self-destruct (or something like that).

It will self implode  Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print