Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic oprah wants FANatics. (Read 5,045 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

oprah wants FANatics.
13. Aug 2004 at 06:42
Print Post  
oprah invites participants!

<i>Are you THE biggest fan of a young celebrity?

The Oprah Winfrey Show is looking for THE biggest fan of a hot, young, new-to-the-scene celebrity! Is that you? Are your walls plastered with their pictures? Do you sleep on their bed sheets? Do you have the same haircut? Is your dream to take your favorite actor to your school dance this fall? Would you faint if you had the chance to be a backup dancer with your favorite singer? Who is your ideal celebrity that you want to shop with for the day? If your knees get weak when you see your favorite celebrity on TV or hear their song on the radio, send us an email! </i>

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 19. Aug 2004 at 08:31 by apple »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: oprah wants FANatics.
Reply #1 - 16. Aug 2004 at 13:10
Print Post  
I don't care for Oprah too much, but every post deserves a reply, apple.   Wink

So, a question:  Who did you mention in your email to the show?   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 16. Aug 2004 at 13:21
Print Post  
do you have to be akid to send an email to the show becasue it sound slike you might.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 19. Aug 2004 at 06:53
Print Post  
no, one doesn't need to be a kid to send an email to the show.

although they might look askance at an adult male who wanted to eulogise a boy celebrity.

however, as you're female.

you want to appear, gee?

go ahead; nothing ventured, nothing gained.

i expect they get hundreds (thousands?) of people wanting to participate in each show - so don't build up your expectations too high.
in response to Sir Joseph Grin

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #4 - 19. Aug 2004 at 13:17
Print Post  
<i>in response to Sir Joseph</i>

Grin

I'm sure you meant Sir Jacob, right?   Tongue

Sir Joseph was my great-uncle on my mother's side.  He met an untimely fate at the hands of a scurrilous lout who objected to his dalliance with said lout's wife, thinking she was a damsel in distress, no doubt.   Roll Eyes

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 20. Aug 2004 at 02:13
Print Post  
I loathe Oprah.. that woman is a wildebeest.

As to whom I currently Idolize.... I don't think I have a current one, sad to say.. they grow up so darn quickly!

Since the year 2000, I've gone thru Aaron Carter, Daniel Radcliffe, Jeremy Sumpter and Thomas Sangster as my numero uno amour. So far this year no one has made it to the very top.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 20. Aug 2004 at 10:55
Print Post  
whoops - sorry about name confusion, Sir James Grin
------
oprah's  been serving on a jury.

she'll be dishing up details on her show.
<i>Well that was fast.

Oprah Winfrey and the rest of her jurors took only two hours Wednesday to convict 27-year-old Dion Coleman of first-degree murder in the February 2002 shooting death of 23-year-old Walter Holley.

"It's a huge reality check, there's a whole other world going on out there,” Winfrey said outside the courtroom, surrounded by other jurors.

“When your life intersects with others in this way, it is forever changed.”

Coleman is scheduled to be sentenced in September and he could face 45 years to life in prison.

And you knew this was coming: Next week, Oprah will do a show about the trial featuring some of her fellow jurors as guests.

Sure to be a topic is the media frenzy surrounding her presence at the Cook County Court House. The press reported her every move – from her failed quest to find a breadless turkey sandwich at the courthouse cafeteria to Wednesday's court provided meal of jerk chicken and scalloped potatoes.

Winfrey called all the attention distracting.

"This is not good for the victim's family,” she said. “This is not about Oprah Winfrey, the fact is a man has been murdered."

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 22. Aug 2004 at 10:49
Print Post  
IMO celebrities shouldn't serve on juries... their opinions could have too much influence on other jurors.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 24. Aug 2004 at 10:07
Print Post  
what about teenage celebrities?

not just sitting on juries - but judging and lawyering too.

tho' i guess teen celebs wouldn't usually be living in crime-ridden areas where these courts are likely to be constituted.
---------
<i>Teenage "judges" could soon be presiding over courts dealing with their wayward peers' crimes. Officials hope the US-inspired idea will cut offending.

For a 16-year-old high school student, Christian Branch has a lot more to worry about than just getting his homework done.

On top of his studies there's the small matter of taking turns to act as judge, attorney or juror in a youth court passing sentence on young offenders in a tough New York borough.

Dealing with everything from truancy, to graffiti, vandalism and possession of weapons, the court uses peer pressure and punishments to make offenders mend their ways.

So influential is the idea that it has been extended to hundreds of other towns across the US, and could soon be on its way to the UK.

Serious consideration is being given to the possibility of a similar scheme at Britain's first community justice centre, which is due to open in Liverpool later this year and will be rolled out across the country if successful.

Two nights a week Christian and the other young law makers gather at Red Hook Youth Court, Brooklyn, to deal with the "minor offences" of other children, aged 10 to 16.

All those appearing have admitted to their crime, so the cases are dealt with in just 15 to 45 minutes; the emphasis placed firmly on making the perpetrator see the error of their ways, rather than proving guilt.

"What we have to say is 'I'm glad you know that what you have done is wrong, and it's time to give something back to your community'," says Christian, who is considering studying law.
The court is deliberately non-confrontational. One young court member acts as the youth advocate, putting the case of the guilty party, while another puts the community's point of view.

The court can then decide to hand down a sentence, which could be anything from community service at a hospital, to writing an essay about their crime, or seeing a social worker for help drawing up a life plan.

Even though it can't force the youths to complete their punishments, nine out of 10 do.

"We're talking to them and they think 'it really does impact my neighbourhood when I jump a turnstile or steal a pack of gum'," says Christian. "They start thinking that what they do may seem little to them, but it really affects their community."

There is also the small matter that those who complete the order have the crime struck from their record. Those who don't may have the mark against them until they are 18 and can be re-arrested by police and taken to family court at any time.

If the idea gets going in Merseyside, young court members won't have such extensive powers.

The young people need to represent the young people they see

The Department for Constitutional Affairs is also keen to avoid attaching such legalese as "judge", "juror", or even "court" to its embryonic version of the scheme, which it prefers to see as mediation.

But it is interested in using peer pressure as a means of stating the community's annoyance with those responsible for anti-social behaviour.

"It's aimed at people who behaved badly but have not been charged with an offence," says a DCA spokesman. "It could be litter dropping, noise pollution or graffiti."

Young members could tell those before it why the community is annoyed and suggest ways to move forward, perhaps by starting a hobby or seeking help if they have a problem.

Whether the idea is introduced depends on the support of the north Liverpool community, to which the prototype court is designed to respond.

UK officials believe that should local people approve, the panels will need to include not just the area's best students, but also those who have been on the wrong side of the law themselves.

Such a policy has been central to the success of Red Hook, which started in 1998, where young offenders appearing before the court are often asked if they would like to become a member themselves.

"We don't get a bunch of A-plus students, we have kids going through all kinds of struggles, because the young people need to represent the young people they see," says Red Hook project director James Brodick.

He says that in an area where the rich and poor live side by side and many people struggle to make ends meet, or bring up children by themselves, understanding goes a long way.

Such problems explain that while most of those appearing before the court take it seriously, only four out of 10 summoned bother to appear in the first place, he says.

Unperturbed, Mr Brodick says many of those who don't show will have been scared into changing their ways simply by getting a phone call from the court, while those who aren't will soon be before an adult court anyway.

The result, he says, is clear to see: "By dealing with these low level quality of life offences, people feel better about where they live."

While there is still a long way to go before the effects of such a scheme are seen in Liverpool, let alone the rest of the UK, those in Red Hook are proud that their work has been noticed and keen that others benefit from their success.

For Christian, the court gives him the chance to give something back to his neighbourhood and, importantly, it also "turns round the idea that all the youths in the community are bad".
Emboldened by 18 months without a murder in Red Hook, after years of multiple homicides, his boss firmly believes the court has helped play its part in New York's fight against crime.

"The perception about crime in Red Hook has changed dramatically," says Mr Brodick.

"When I first came to the area you could not get a taxi to come here, now there's businesses popping up all over the place.</i>
Add your comments on this story -  using form underneath article at link.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print