Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Veronico Cruz (1987) (Read 3,185 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Veronico Cruz (1987)
16. Sep 2004 at 20:52
Print Post  

"La Deuda Interna"
US title: "Veronico Cruz"
Argentina  1987

Gonzalo Morales as Veronico Cruz:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(mild spoilers in the description below, but I think it won't really spoil things for most people)

A remote area in northwest Argentina.  A young couple trying to grow crops in poor conditions.  Wife dies in childbirth.  The child, a son, is named Veronico.  Husband leaves to look for work, leaving the child with its grandmother.

Eight years later, young Vernico is playing the flute and watching the sheep when a man leading a donkey comes by.  The man asks for a drink of water, and in return gives Veronico a comic book.  An adventure story about pirates.  It is the new schoolteacher for the village.

At first his grandmother won't allow Veronico to go to school--she thinks schooling is what made Veronico's father leave.  But the teacher comes by to talk sometimes.  They discuss the comic book: "Is there really so much water?" ... "Not around here!"

Juan José Camero as the Teacher:

Eventually Veronico is allowed to attend school.    (A one-room school adjacent to a one-room apartment where the teacher lives.)  After a few years, when his grandmother dies, Veronico is taken in by the teacher; all he has to do is get another bed for the apartment.

When a military Junta takes over far away in the Capital, they feel it even here: the local constible comes by to confiscate any "Communist" books.  Of course he has to take the teacher's word which books are the bad ones.

Once, during the Summer vacation, the teacher takes Veronico to the provincial capital.  Veronico sees many amazing things while the teacher unsuccessfully tries to get word of Veronico's father.

Here is Vernico beside a patriotic monument:

After a few years living with the teacher, Veronico is surprised when the teacher is ordered to a different school.  At night, in the dark, Veronico asks, "Well, will you go?"  ... The teacher replies, "Well, will you come with me?"  Veronico has a local girlfriend by then, so he does not come.

There are no telephones in that remote village, so afterward they can communicate only by letters.  The teacher writes his love, but Veronico seldom writes back.

Years later the teacher returns to the village for a visit.  He finds that Veronico is not there.  He has joined the navy!  The last radio in the village is broken, so the villagers don't get outside news, and they don't know that Veronico's ship was sunk in the Falklands war.  Did Veronico join the navy because of that comic book he got long ago?

« Last Edit: 07. Sep 2008 at 05:32 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Re: Veronico Cruz
Reply #1 - 16. Sep 2004 at 22:05
Print Post  
Gosh, that didn't spoil it for me.  I want to see this one.  Thanks, hosenhaus.  Smiley

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Veronico Cruz
Reply #2 - 16. Sep 2004 at 23:05
Print Post  
Thanks Hosenhaus...

..especially for the excellent summary.. 

I'll make sure it gets a profile.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print