Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic do you think (Read 2,338 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

do you think
08. Nov 2004 at 09:17
Print Post  
i saw birth over the weekend. i put my review on the review page. anyhow i was wonder do you think oif the movie was reversed and it was about an adult male and a ten year old girl claming  to be his husband it would of got relesed i have to say no becuase the the bathtub scene would be every more conterversial. actully the scene thta occurs in the movie is nothing really but i just wondered what you thought and the question i posted.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: do you think
Reply #1 - 09. Nov 2004 at 22:43
Print Post  
I have yet to see Birth, so I haven't seen the controversial scene in question gee, but I understand your point.
I think the film would be more controversial because it's not considered as provocative to show a topless boy as opposed to a topless girl (I'm assuming Cameron is shirtless in this scene). The climate being what it is in the US, it is questionable whether a scene such as this could be included in any film being released in this country. I think were the situation reversed as you described, this film would've had to have been made in Europe.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 10. Nov 2004 at 07:12
Print Post  
From the inexplicably nasty reaction that Nicole has received over that scene one can only assume that in a few years Americans will have to bathe whilst wearing clothes. 

Perhaps the bath scene in Big Daddy was a prediction of the future. remember, the Sprouse kid was wearing shorts when he had a bath.

The Europeans must be laughing themselves silly.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #3 - 10. Nov 2004 at 09:24
Print Post  
I think it was the European press that got in a tizzy  when Birth was shown at the Venice Film Festival.  The scene really doesn't amount to that much.  Remember Justin Henry meeting a nude JoBeth Williams in the hallway late one night in Kramer vs. Kramer?  That was much more graphic although Justin was in his undies.  I think they were both in the same frames.

Putting a  10-year-old girl in a tub with a grown man would be more acceptible in Europe than in the US although girls and boys that age don't look much different shirtless.  What was the name of that movie where Liam Neeson took a shower with a little girl?

Here's Cameron in the bath with Nicole:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

What seems more exploitive to me is not the bath but Cameron's strip that precedes it, somewhat reminiscent of David Elliott in The Possession of Joel Delaney.  However, it is less explicit in the end.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print