Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) I am David (Read 8,585 times)
Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

I am David
18. Nov 2004 at 15:36
Print Post  
I just watched this movie, and must admit it was quite good, even though it was not completely true to the book, and having read the novel, I was a little disappointed, and thought that they did not do the novel justice.

but taking the movie on its own, it was good, even if they seemed to rush the ending.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: I am David
Reply #1 - 01. Dec 2004 at 00:45
Print Post  
Teddy,

There is already a thread for this movie in this forum. So I think you better bend over so you can get smacked on the bottom.   Roll Eyes

To prevent reviews of the same movie getting lost it is best to add comments to the existing threads. It's very easy to find if a movie has a thread...  go to the profile of the movie and see if there is a 'BA Reviews' link.

If there is, then it's best to add comments to the existing thread...  this helps keeps all the comments made about a particular movie within easy access.   Smiley

So instead of getting a beating on the bottom, you may want to repost your post above to the thread that is linked to from the movie's profile page.

It would also make me very happy.  Smiley

Oh, as an additional penance, you are required to go to the database and rate 100 movie you have seen.  :laughing:

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #2 - 01. Dec 2004 at 11:42
Print Post  
Oops I did look for it, but did not find it Sad

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 01. Dec 2004 at 12:59
Print Post  
here it is: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #4 - 01. Dec 2004 at 17:42
Print Post  
Thanks I did find it the way Cal said, but did not know of that way of searching before.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 29. Nov 2014 at 23:04
Print Post  
Smiley I have seen again this very beautiful english movie this evening. Ben TIBBER is very moving with a very good play in  part of David. My movie rating is 10/10 !

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #6 - 29. Nov 2014 at 23:41
Print Post  
I really enjoyed this film. 

Ben Tiber and Jim Caviezel  were great!

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 14. Jan 2015 at 13:37
Print Post  
Ben was wonderful in this film! I did find it little hard to watch at first, because of David's hardships he endures in the camp. I haven't read the book, and don't know for sure what age David was suppose to be when he goes into the camp, but I'm figuring around 6 or 7 years old. Which means he had been in the camp for about half his life, and I think that why he didn't remember how to use a fork, or remembered what a bath was like. I love this movie and could watch it a million times! Smiley

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 17. Jan 2015 at 17:43
Print Post  
One of my favourites, a classic boy actor film. Ben Tibber had done nothing really big before 'I Am David' except play Tiny Tim in two productions of 'A Christmas Carol'. He's typically English and some critics wondered how a kid brought up in a harsh prison camp would speak like that. The plot has its flaws but overall the film is nicely told and his relationship with Sophie the artist, played by Joan Plowright, was beautiful. Definitely a film worthy of a high place in any boy actor enthusiast's collection.   Smiley

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #9 - 25. Feb 2015 at 15:16
Print Post  
Some of these are old reviews, but having just re-found this forum, it would be nice to catch up a bit.

As Lite said, this is not completely true to the book, and it might be even more than that.  Although Ben Tibber is a decent enough actor, the novel presented David as a skinny boy of about ten or eleven, while Tibber looked like a well-nourished boy of twelve or thirteen.  He just didn't seem to fit the image of what this book portrayed.

As in other novels, the film was far from what we expected of David from the literary sense.  In the novel, he was a barefoot boy dressed in clothes that were more rags than true attire.  In the film, the boy didn't fit this at all.  And as one might expect, some scenes were deleted or changed drastically in the name of political correctness.

This movie is good if you've never read the novel.  But otherwise, a disappointment.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #10 - 25. Feb 2015 at 15:39
Print Post  
nicolas wrote on 25. Feb 2015 at 15:16:
This movie is good if you've never read the novel.  But otherwise, a disappointment.

Having not yet read the book and not knowing what to expect,
I thought the film was great.
However, I could see how the film could have been made much more harsh
and true to life.

And I must concede, there were some flaws in the plot.

Still definitely worth a look.

Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print