Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Music video featuring (unknown) boy (Read 4,283 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Music video featuring (unknown) boy
19. Nov 2004 at 01:00
Print Post  
I was just checking out the website of one of my favourite bands, Modest Mouse, and noticed they had a few music videos available. I had never seen any of them, but it turns out one of them is for one of my favourite songs on the album and the video features a boy as the main character. Check it out:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The one I'm talking about is for the song "The Ocean Breathes Salty". It gets a bit silly at the end, but it's all pretty cool.

I usualy prefer Quicktime, but in this case I think the Real Player version is better. I haven't tried the Windows Player version.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Music video featuring (unknown) boy
Reply #1 - 19. Nov 2004 at 01:07
Print Post  
By the way, the song is about death and the afterlife (many of their songs seem to be about that, actually), so maybe knowing that adds a little bit of meaning to the video, which seems to be a metaphore.

I thought the moment when the boy is playing catch with a scarecrow was a really powerful image, obviously suggesting that his father is absent (and probably dead, given the theme of the song and the rest of the video).

Finding a dying (possibly already dead) bird and trying to nurse it back to life is something many of us have probably done when we were kids, and it's a familiar episode to anyone who likes coming of age movies or books. A good way to represent a child encountering and dealing with death and what it means.

Pretty good video, I think.

IP Logged

BoyHowdy
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 19. Nov 2004 at 01:12
Print Post  
I caught this video a few weeks ago on MTV.  I think it's getting good airplay but I rarely watch MTV these days. 

At one time, I was trying to come up with a list of music videos that featured boys.  Off the top of my head I can name a few:

Pearl Jam "Jeremy"

The Cranberries "Zombie"

Styx "Show Me the Way" (my personal favorite)

R.E.M. "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Fountains of Wayne "Staci's Mom"

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #3 - 19. Nov 2004 at 08:38
Print Post  
Great video, I really like it.

Need to watch it a few more times tho, lots of symbolism there!

Thanks again!

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 19. Nov 2004 at 23:17
Print Post  
Does anyone know how to save this video to the hard drive?

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #5 - 20. Nov 2004 at 08:45
Print Post  
Jeremy is a great video, probably one of my most favorites, but it still sends chills through me, even moreso now, with some of the things that have happened.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #6 - 20. Nov 2004 at 09:06
Print Post  
Cal, as you probably know, when you click on "save target as", all you are actually saving is the link back to the vid.

Once you have played the video, it is on your drive, and you can go into temp files, and grab it and move it to where you want it.  The problem is in getting it into a format you can play.  I had all the information on how to do that, which was stored on my network, which was destroyed by the hurricanes. I am in the process of getting all that info back, but it is going to take some time. If I remember correctly, it is very simple to do, but I don't remember the necessary steps at all.  As soon as I get the info, I will let you know right away!

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 23. Nov 2004 at 06:57
Print Post  
Thanks Mike,

I'd appreciate it.  I did actually check my Temp Internet File folder but the actual file for the movie was only a 'link' even in there.

In the past I've often been able to pluck the files out and they play without any problem. Recently however I've noticed that 'streaming vid' files aren't actually saving.

One of the ways I've always been able to tell if the file has saved is to repay the online clip...  if it's saved on my HD the clip will run smoothly without pausing.

Maybe they have new barriers to stop vids being saved?

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #8 - 23. Nov 2004 at 09:17
Print Post  
Anything that is shown on the net, can be saved.  It's not as easy as it used to be, and the people posting things are always trying to stay a step ahead of the people wanting to save them.  Personally, I really hate to see that happen, for example, if you save the little link file you have, what if the site that file points to, goes away?  Then you have lost that video forever.  Where you used to be able to "save target as", like you say, it is just a link-file you are getting.

Again, sorry for not being able to help, but I wiil find the instructions.....damn hurricanes!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print