Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Unfair Competition (2001) (Read 8,549 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Unfair Competition (2001)
28. Nov 2004 at 06:21
Print Post  

Drama (2000) (Italy/Italian)
Director: Ettore Scola

Gerard Depardieau stars in this poignant depiction of Italy under the rise of Fascism in the late thirties. The lives of two rivalling tailers working side by side are chronicled in this bittersweet comedy that deftly and delicately explores one of the darker moments in Italian history.

This movie nearly escaped my attention... I didn't realize it was a 'boy' movie. In fact the story is actually told through the eyes of  11 year old Pietruccio and there are many scenes in the movie that focus on him and his best mate, a Jewish boy named Lele.

Nicely told, well acted tale. Directed by the famed veteran Italian filmaker Etorre Scola.

Well worth watching.  9/10

A few caps:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 13. Dec 2004 at 04:44 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

JefriNTheDeep

BA Member

Re: Unfair Competition (2001)
Reply #1 - 07. Jun 2018 at 17:39
Print Post  
I just now discovered your gallery for ‘Unfair Competition’.

Your images are lovely.

They touched at many levels, emotionally.

You captured the two boys in multiple images, as they sat or crouched side by side, with an arm over a shoulder, or knees touching. Always keeping a connection, one with the other.

I noticed this closeness in another image, as they were walking away from the camera, again with arms over each others shoulders, strides in sync.

The set of pics sitting in front of the lamp post... laughing, holding onto each other, sharing the fun.

(Your caps reminded me of how it was for me at that age. Being so close to my buddy that we would pounce on each other, always keeping a physical connection, an arm on a shoulder or me leaning into him. Thus melding two small kids into One Invincible Boy.)

In the film, when the boys were not holding each other or touching, they were side by side almost mirroring each other’s actions! As they were eating, they were in almost exactly the same pose! The same for the image of them playing cards.

The scene with them peering into the shop window is priceless!

And the hug... brought a tear to my eye.

And finally your gallery captured the heart break.

The photos started to show the boys moving apart from each other. First sitting opposite each other with the cat moving between them.

Then the game(?). The friends in competition?
(I’ve not seen the film, so I don’t know the details of the plot)

And then, the second from the final picture, the closeup. You captured perfectly that moment of total anguish.

The final pic, to me, shows that he is seeing all he loves moving away from him... The Boy has lost his childhood forever. And we ache for him, knowing that this is only the beginning of the hell that is coming for him and all he loves.

Thank you so much for this and all that you do here. I appreciate it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print