Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Paperboy (Read 6,484 times)
Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Paperboy
09. Jan 2005 at 21:47
Print Post  
About two year ago I seen a movie at my freinds house called Paperboy but not the movie made for United States.

I remember it was from Australian Children's Films because it said so at beginning of video. 

It had a ten year old boy who lived in poor family without no money so he got job as paperboy and he moved to a homeless shelter.  He brought money home to parents and he lived in shelter.

It was very good film and I felt bad because he got pushed around by older paperboy.  The boy slept and took shower in the homeless shelter but he was the only boy there with every one else a grown up man.

I wish this film was on dvd in USA.
« Last Edit: 05. Jul 2008 at 21:18 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Australia Paperboy
Reply #1 - 09. Jan 2005 at 23:14
Print Post  
Hmm. Doesn't seem to be listed on IMDb. But I found the following description on another website. It's not quite a feature-length film, at only 49 minutes.

This is the first time I hear about this movie. Thanks for mentioning it, Jasen.

The paper boy, (Winners series), Australian Children's Television Foundation, Australia, 1985.
1 videocassette, 49 min.

Part of the Winners series. A bleak Christmas looms for the Riordans when Joe's father gets the sack in December 1932. The money 13-year-old Joe gets from selling papers is all they have. When Joe and his dad have a fight, Joe leaves home vowing never to return. He lives on the streets, pitting his wits and fists against others as he gets to know the city and its characters. Includes book and discussion guide. Based on the book by John Hepworth and Bob Ellis.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 09. Jan 2005 at 23:18
Print Post  
More information from website about the "Winners" series. Quite a few other titles that might be of interest are described on that page:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The Paper Boy

Producer: Jane Ballantyne
Writer: Bob Ellis
Director: Paul Cox

It's December 1932 and it's going to be a bleak Christmas for the Riordens when Joe's dad gets the sack from his job. The money that 13-year-old Joe gets from selling papers is all they have. When Joe and his dad have a fight, Joe leaves home vowing never to return. He lives on the streets, battling with his wits and his fists as he gets to know the city and its characters. The downs-and-outs, the communist agitators, the Sallies, old Harry and his mate…

Starring
Christopher Schlusser as Joe Riordan
Tony Llewellyn-Jones as John Riordan
Linden Wilkinson as Elise Riordan
George Trotman as Mr. Crabtree
Maurie Fields as Mr. O'Brien
Barry Dickens as Beggar
David Argue as Communist Agitator
John Flaus as Communist Speaker
Tunji Beier as Larger Newsboy
Julia Blake as Reformed Sinner
Kyra Cox as Riordan Family
Lucy Angwin as Riordan Family
Toby Angwin as Riordan Family
Brad Hudson as Smaller Newsboy
Norman Kaye as Tramp
Bob Ellis as Well-dressed Man

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 09. Jan 2005 at 23:20
Print Post  
And now that I've got the director's name, I was able to find the IMDb listing. It's actually under "Winners" as a TV series. The Paper Boy is described as episode 4.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 09. Jan 2005 at 23:27
Print Post  
And I was able to find this ridiculously small picture, from the Australian Children's Television Foundation website:

I can't even tell if hte boy's in the picture.

:laughing:

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #5 - 09. Jan 2005 at 23:46
Print Post  
That's not the boy in the little picture, Joseph.  The boy isn't 13 either at least he don't look older than ten bcause hes not bigger than me.  The boy got blonde hair and in this picture it looks like to grown-ups.

It is very good movie and I think you like it a lot.  Dvd is much better than vhs but its okay if only on vhs.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 09. Jan 2005 at 23:53
Print Post  
Yeah, that does look like two grown-ups in the picture.

I'm glad you mention that the boy looks younger than 13. That's a good sign, as I was afraid that it might be one of those cases where they say the boy is 13 but he's actually played by an 18-year-old.

That looks like a good series of made-for-tv films. I'd like to see this one, and a few others too.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #7 - 10. Jan 2005 at 00:03
Print Post  
I know he's not a teenager.  Only if he got hypopituitarism he might be a teenager but nobody will know he's not a little boy because he don't look older than ten years old. 

Two years ago I remember doctor told me famous kids got hypopituitarism like Gary Coleman and Emanual Lewis and David Bennent but it don't make me feel good bcause I dont got no acting.   

It makes me happy to talk here bcause I think people are nice and I like talk about movies like Paperboy from Australia.  I hope I can give votes soon for movies if it will accept my name soon.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 10. Jan 2005 at 01:14
Print Post  
We should do a profile for 'The Winners' series...  I saw most of the episodes when they were originally broadcast. The series was very good and it actually received quite a number of awards itself. There was also another similiar anthology style series produced in Oz around that time called Touch the Sun...  one episode in particular called Captain Johnno was particularly good. Both of these series deserve to be released on DVD.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #9 - 10. Jan 2005 at 02:33
Print Post  
Do you mean

I saw one episode from the Winners series starring Emil Minty as a quiz show contestant called "Top Kid."
As far as I know this series isn't readily available at all in the USA. I saw the one segment I did at a museum  Shocked

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print