Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic The Squid and the Whale (2005) - at Sundance (Read 5,111 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

The Squid and the Whale (2005) - at Sundance
21. Jan 2005 at 12:22
Print Post  
Written and directed by the brilliant Noah Baumbach,  this has some pretty good chances of being a great movie.

Synopsis: "Based on the true childhood experiences of Noah Baumbach and his brother, The Squid and the Whale tells the touching story of two young boys dealing with their parents divorce in Brooklyn in the 1980's."

Not sure how young the boys are supposed to be, but Jesse Eisenberg, who I assume is playing one of the brothers, is actually 21 years old. There's still hope, however, as Owen Kline (son of actor Kevin Kline) plays the other brother, and he was born in 1991, so would have been around 13 during filming.

I unfortunately don't have any images to share.

IMDb link: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: The Squid and the Whale (2005) - at Sundance
Reply #1 - 21. Jan 2005 at 18:24
Print Post  
Thanks for profiling some of these Sundance films. I started to prepare a list of my own a little while ago and "The Squid and the Whale" is the only one we both noticed. I have this small still.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I am also looking forward to the releases of a few other Sundance films.....

The Chumscrubber
When Dean (Jamie Bell) discovers the hanging body of his friend, he doesn't even bother to tell any of the patio party of adults, figuring they just wouldn't care. Thus begins a series of events that include drug dealing and kidnapping, a neighborhood memorial and a backyard wedding, interior design and real-estate deals, and about as much familial conflict and despair as can be played out in this rapid-fire parody of suburban existence. The interlacing of themes and stories ranges from suburban malaise and New Age psychological remedies to sexy moms, threatening pseudogangs, and nihilistic videos, all depicted with absurd accuracy in this scintillating debut by writer/director Arie Posin and his terrific cast

Official site not yet active but others in the cast include Rory Culkin and Thomas Curtis.

Dear Wendy
Dick, an 18-year-old loner, lives in a blue-collar American mining town. When he happens upon a small handgun one day, he finds himself strangely drawn to it, despite his fervent pacifist views. Together with his newfound partner, he soon convinces the other young outcasts in the town to join him in a secret club he calls The Dandies, a club based on the principles of pacifism and guns. Despite their firm belief in the most important Dandy rule of all--never draw your weapon--the club members soon find themselves in a predicament where they realize that rules are made to be broken

This is an alumni feast with Jamie Bell, Michael Angarano, Mark Webber and Chris Owen all in the cast.

3 Rooms of Melancholia
Hauntingly poetic, visionary, and quietly devastating, Pirjo Honkasalo's portrait of children in war carries the mournful echo of a gull's cry in a cathedral. Made through various methods of subterfuge (foreigners having been forbidden by Russian authorities from entering Chechnya), Honkasalo's extraordinary film portrays children who are as emotionally ravaged as their homelands have been scorched.

The artistic genius of The 3 Rooms of Melancholia begins with its division into three "rooms"--"longing," "breathing," and "remembering"--but its overriding theme is the visiting upon children of an adult-born hatred and division that they cannot possibly process, which manifests itself in these children through anger, fear, violence, and pervasive sadness.

The protagonists central to this story are the 9- to 14-year-old boys at the Kronstadt Cadet Academy; Hadizhat Gataeva, a woman who salvages children from the ruins of Chechnya; and the children living across the border in the Ingushetia refugee camp. But the principal subject of the film is the seemingly never-ending Chechen war, from which irrationality and venom poisons a generation too young to recognize its fallacies.

Of the films I had on my list, this would be the one I'd most want to see.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

The Squid and the Whale
Reply #2 - 31. Jan 2005 at 15:33
Print Post  
a bigger version of the pic...

Owen Kline (son of Kevin Kline) & Jesse Eisenberg

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 31. Jan 2005 at 20:52
Print Post  
And in color  Smiley

Thanks, Hosenhaus!

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 31. Jan 2005 at 20:54
Print Post  
Cool pic..

Owen was born in Oct 1991..  so he's now 14, I assume the movie was made when he was 13 or so..  he looks considerably younger than that.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 31. Jan 2005 at 23:32
Print Post  
Actually, by my count that makes him 13. And assuming the movie was probably shot before October 2004, he would have been 12 during filming. Which seems about right, based on the picture.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 01. Feb 2005 at 06:20
Print Post  
Doh!  you are right of course.

I think I've been spending too much time on logarithmic equations lately.   Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print