Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Master and Commander (Read 4,123 times)
RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

Master and Commander
26. Feb 2005 at 18:52
Print Post  
Anyone else have to stop watching the movie "Master and Commander after the first 20 minutes?

When I seen Max Pirkis' character get hurt, my heart sunk, and then when I seen what they had to do to fix his broken body, I wanted to throw up. I cried with him, then (CLICK) ...I turned off the movie. That was a horrible scene and I think they should have cut it from the film.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: Master and Commander
Reply #1 - 26. Feb 2005 at 19:31
Print Post  
You prefer Disney movies, eh?

Others prefer realism.

You missed the best parts of the movie!

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 26. Feb 2005 at 22:10
Print Post  
Hosenhaus, be nice. Wink To each his own.

I never bothered to watch Master and Commander. I think it looks like another expensive, crappy, "epic" Hollywood shlock. The kind that makes a lot of money and wins a lot of Oscars, but usually does absolutely nothing for me.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #3 - 26. Feb 2005 at 22:25
Print Post  
And I thought I was one of the last people to get around to this when I saw it last month. Remember joseph it is a Peter Weir film, but it is an epic.
I gave it a 6/10.

To answer your original question RocketBoy, remember IT'S ONLY A MOVIE. Smiley
I had no trouble making it past the scene you mention, in fact if you give the movie another shot, you'll feel much better about and for Blakeney.

IP Logged

RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

Reply #4 - 27. Feb 2005 at 00:35
Print Post  
I'll give it another try zab Wink, but I think I'll fast forward over that particular part. I know it's just a movie (silly) Tongue I'm not squeemish about blood and gore at all. I'm horror film nut...lol I just can't take seeing it happen to a kid, whether it's real or not....and you gotta admit they did a hell of a job putting that scene together. I think the director was aiming at the viewers heart's on that one. He got mine Dead center.

And yea, I love disney movies too hosenhaus...doesn't everybody? :p

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 27. Feb 2005 at 02:19
Print Post  
RocketBoy, I totally understand. I can not stand violence also. There are a lot of movies I would like to see but the violence in them keep me away. There are a lot more of us out there but over the years, the media has made many feel ashamed to admit it. Remember, The Meek shall inherit the earth.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #6 - 27. Feb 2005 at 10:02
Print Post  
I loved this movie, and was saddened by that scene.

but after reading a review elsewhere, (could have been here) I knew he would survive, so carried on watching Smiley

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #7 - 27. Feb 2005 at 14:54
Print Post  
There is violence in the world and sometimes children are the victims of it.  Why isn't this a fit subject for literature and drama?  There's a difference between an intelligent film like Master and Commander and the mindless gorefests Hollywood so often perpetrates on an all-too-willing public.  The Napoleonic Wars are historical fact and many died or were wounded. 

The young midshipman lost a limb but perservered, a triumph of the human spirit.

IP Logged

RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

Reply #8 - 27. Feb 2005 at 18:16
Print Post  
qoute:"The young midshipman lost a limb but perservered, a triumph of the human spirit" ..that's a very good and true way to look at it Wildeboy. That's the way I'll most likely see it when I give the movie another shot Wink

To redefine my original question, I guess what I was actually asking is "did it bother anyone else?". Everyone react's differently to seeing certain things IRL or on screen. My reaction was to stop watching the movie. I think if you got past that particular scene without feeling or thinking anything, besides "oh that's life, poor kid.." then your dead inside, or you just scene it as really bad acting Tongue

quote: "The Napoleonic Wars are historical fact and many died or were wounded." ...that "fact" make's that sccene all the more powerful

Dude, I went to school. I know the history of the Napoleonic Wars. I know the world is a violent place. I'm not denying it, or saying that it shouldn't be depicted truthfully in movies or literature. I live in NY, and when the towers went down I wept. It broke my heart. I didn't need to see the crushed, burned, broken bodies for it to have an affect on me emotionally. My point being: just because we know the world to be a violent place doesn't mean we should just dismiss violence and stop feeling.

Again, I am not saying violence in movies is wrong. It's just sometimes, on rare occasions Tongue, i feel something beyond the usual blood and gore numbness we train ourselves to feel. 

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 28. Feb 2005 at 07:58
Print Post  
I hate violence for violence sake.

Action movies that have endless body counts and so called horror movies that splash blood all over the place as entertainment leave me cold. However where violence has occured in a 'historical' context, I want to see it as close to reality as I can stand even if that means closing my eyes and getting squeamish. Is there any other way to get some inkling of an idea of how greatly many individuals have suffered.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print