Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) how did you become (Read 6,520 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

how did you become
03. Mar 2005 at 09:00
Print Post  
how did you becoame a fan of boy actors. i statred being a fan when like a lot of teenage girls i had a crush on mac culikin and jtt. i guesss i never grew out of that pahse.but today i really dont have crushes  on the boys.i not sure really what you call it.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: how did you become
Reply #1 - 03. Mar 2005 at 19:19
Print Post  
It seems to me I answered this question sometime in the last year. Grin That's okay, it deserves bringing up every so often.

For me, I guess it started with John Sheffield in the old Tarzan movies and moved on to TV boys such as Tommy Rettig and Johnny Crawford. David Ladd's appearance in 'Proud Rebel' I think confirmed my life-long interest in boy actors. *sigh*

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 03. Mar 2005 at 19:53
Print Post  
I really hate this YaBB script sometimes, or perhaps it's just IE's fault...  I had a very lengthy reply... took me at least half an hour to type and suddenly the page jumped back when I hit some key... it wiped everything I'd typed...   Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

So here's a MUCH briefer response:

I'm not just interested in boy actors. I've had a very strong interest in movies all my life. One reason for being involved in this site is because I believe that child actors have often been ignored. I like to think of myself as a libertarian and supporter of the downtrodden. Child actors are quite often ignored by the press and the public.  Often they are not even given fair credit... a child actor who plays the leading role in a movie is often credited well below many mediocre supporting actors in a movie's credits.

I like to balance things up a bit..  there are plenty of sites that pander and promote adult 'stars' but relatively few that acknowledge the talents of the younger actors.

And on a more personal note I prefer the antics that boys get up to and I can relate to them more than girls.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 03. Mar 2005 at 20:52
Print Post  
My answer is very similar to Cal's. I have a general interest in films and I read and sometimes post at a lot of other film-related sites. But child actors are often neglected or ignored by both the industry and the general public. The only time young actors are mentioned to on a site like IMDb, for example, they are usually refered to as "that annoying kid" or something like that. I think they deserve more respect and recognition and I do what I can to contribute to that by helping on this site (when I have the time).

My special interest in boy actors developped when I was in my mid-teens. The first boy actor who really impressed me with his acting talent was Elijah Wood in the movie Paradise. He was one of the first young actors (along with Macauley Culkin and Jonathan Brandis) that I could identify by name and whose career I followed.

As for girl actors, I do think they deserve the same respect and recognition that boy actors do. But as I explained in another thread some time ago, girls are often encouraged to act like precocious little ladies in films and that's something that really turns me off. It seems to me that boys are given more freedom to act naturally and realistically. And their characters seem to have more depth and emotional resonance because of that.

Or maybe it's just me, I don't know. But I really do think the coming of age genre is a primarily male tradition (in literature as well as in film). After all, the genre (as well as our very concept of childhood) was invented by men in the Eighteenth Century (Rousseau, Goethe, etc.).

PS: Cal, in Explorer (as well as in Firefox), backspace is a shortcut key for the back button. As long as your cursor is in the text window, there shouldn't be a problem. But if by mistake it's not (for example if you hit tab) and you hit backspace, you will go back to the previous page. It's happened to me before and it is frustrating. But it doesn't have anything to do with the YaBB script, unfortunately.

IP Logged

zhizhi
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 03. Mar 2005 at 23:07
Print Post  
Like cal and josephk, I like film in general and have long been interested in movie and young actors since I was a kid.  Barret Oliver was the first young actor I identified with. I wish I could have a friend like him.

Stand By Me really deepened my appreciation of movie and young actors. After that I started to look for good films to watch and follow young actors' career.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #5 - 04. Mar 2005 at 00:03
Print Post  
I always like movies with boys ever since I can remembr.  When find out I cant grow like regular boy i want to be actor but its very hard to do bcause got to live in place where there is movies made.

I dont remember first movie I seen with boy in big role in film but I think was Searching for Bobby Fisher or Second Best.

It is fun to watch many different kind of movies but I like films got other boys in it most bcause I cant do things other teenager do and I can if with boys not teenagers yet.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 04. Mar 2005 at 06:26
Print Post  
Quote:
From josephk,
PS: Cal, in Explorer (as well as in Firefox), backspace is a shortcut key for the back button. As long as your cursor is in the text window, there shouldn't be a problem. But if by mistake it's not (for example if you hit tab) and you hit backspace, you will go back to the previous page.

I think that's what happened. Is there a way to disable the Backspace shortcut in IE?  It would make me happy  Smiley

IP Logged

AH382
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 04. Mar 2005 at 16:32
Print Post  
I started  being a fan of Kieran's, Mac's since I was 8 in 1990 that I liked their movie "Home Alone" was so funny because Mac's character Kevin's screaming make me laugh and Kieran's character Fuller because he was cute with glasses and he was drinking too much pop. 2nd one, I liked Gregory Smith since I was 12 when I saw him on "Andre" that he was cute. 3rd one, I liked David Gallagher since I was 14 because he was cute that time when I saw him on "7th Heaven" and 4th one, Jeremy Leilott that I liked him  because he is  so cute and a good actor on "Jack" whehen I was 14 and 5th one, Lucas Black  that guy I liked that he was so cute when I saw  him on "Flash" but now all are grown up and handsome and cute young men so I can't believe that they are all grown up. I'm a big fan of them since I was a teenager.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

Reply #8 - 04. Mar 2005 at 16:47
Print Post  
I've been a fan of movies and television all my life. I thought my knowledge of "Made for kid" movies and boy actors to be better than average and slightly weird the older I got...then I found Boyactors.com. Some of you guys blow my mind with how much you know. I realise now that I actually knew really little..lol

I've been a fan of boy actors since I was one, well since I was a boy, not actor, though that would have been waaaay cool...lol I'm always thoroughly impressed when I see a child actor hold his or her own next to an adult in a film or on TV. There's also the "Cute Factor", that draws me.

The last reason is, I like to think of myself as an eternal kid at heart. Being a boy actor fan fits my personality. I have signs of "Peter Pan Syndrom"...lol, but I'm not as far gone as Micheal Jackson, Ok, I'm not even close Tongue. but I can say, I relate and have a real appreciation and love for young actors that most people just don't get.

My not knowing 80% of the boys and movies in the BA database tells me I'm not as Odd as I thought I was Smiley It also gieves me a chance to see what I've been missing.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 05. Mar 2005 at 21:08
Print Post  
RocketBoy... I didn't know much about boy actors either before I started hanging out at this place. I'm sure others will tell you the same thing. And in a year or two, if your interest doesn't fade, you'll probably know as much if not more than the veterans here.

As for that interest being "weird" or "odd"... sure, in the eyes of some people it will be. But you mustn't let that stand in the way of your passion for boy actors. I know I sometimes get weird reactions from some of my friends when we talk about a movie that features a boy actor and I casually let slip in the conversation not only the boy's name, but a list of two or three other movies he's been in.

I'm comfortable with my interest in boy actors. Sure, I don't necessarily advertise it, but I don't think of it as a dark secret either.

I read a comment recently by a man who works with boy choirs and who said he gets weird looks from people when he tells them what he does for a living. How ridiculous is that!?

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #10 - 05. Mar 2005 at 23:33
Print Post  
I dont understand why teach boys choir make people give wierd look.  What if teach school or in boy school I wonder if that give wierd look too.

Its my wish some day all movies we can see even if from country a long way away.  I hope no more edit of movies and we can see just like suposed to be seen and can watch any film that come from any place in world.

I like to read books that got film and reveiws and I like one man that say if film got edited it is same as cutting piece off of painting bcause film is art too.

I like films that got boys and some films dont got boys and I hope some day nobody say what can see and not see bcause america edit film from other countrys.

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #11 - 06. Mar 2005 at 15:15
Print Post  
Hi...

This is my first time visiting here, and this seems like the perfect thread to start with.

I think the first time I became a fan of a young actor was when I was about 8 years old.  I was watching a Disney movie on TV and decided I would like to become friends with the boy in the film.  Although that didn't happen, I watched every movie he made from that point on, and I always felt the same way about wishing he could be my friend.

Later on as I got older, the movies could take me back to a time which is one of the best parts of life: when you start to really develop your own personality, with independent and creative thinking, but before you get whacked with too much cynicism and the dark side of adult responsibility.  I still leave the theatre after a great young-actor movie wishing I could be his best friend.  Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #12 - 08. Mar 2005 at 05:58
Print Post  
Hiya Mark... welcome to BA.. glad to have you here  Cheesy

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 09. Mar 2005 at 12:02
Print Post  
yeah i id ask this once before but becuase we have a lot of new member si asked it again.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #14 - 11. Mar 2005 at 06:32
Print Post  
I guess I just always have been a boy movie fan.  ???

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print