Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Cast for Ender's Game (Read 12,603 times)
Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Re: Cast for Ender's Game
Reply #15 - 07. Mar 2005 at 17:49
Print Post  
I got very good memory one teacher tell me many times but I know cant never try for movie role bcause dont live near where films made.   I didnt know Liam Hess already is almost 13.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #16 - 07. Mar 2005 at 20:21
Print Post  
Quote:
A youthful looking actor of 12 or 13 could work.  Does OSC want to stick strictly to his books above everything or does he want a good movie?

Wildeboy, I'm not sure if that comment is in response to what I wrote, but I have a hard time following your reasoning. What I said was that OSC did want to use an actor that is slightly older than Ender was in his books. So that to me suggests that, yes, he does want a good movie even if it means not sticking strictly to his books.

I think when he said Ender shouldn't be made into a teenager, he meant the character shouldn't be 16 or 17, probably played by a 20-something actor. I don't think it meant that 12 was too old.

IP Logged

Wildeboy
Gold Member

Teen Alexander

Reply #17 - 07. Mar 2005 at 21:48
Print Post  
Okay, I didn't quite understand your comment.  It seemed rather unreasonable that OSC would insist on the actor playing Ender be the same age as the character in his books.  I certainly agree that casting a 16 or 17 year old would undermine the whole premise.

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #18 - 07. Mar 2005 at 23:26
Print Post  
The problem with casting a 14 year old who looks 10, is that the 14 year old is very likely to look 14 by the time the movie is halfway through shooting.  Think about how Liam Aiken grew up between Good Boy and Lemony Snicket, or how they had to redesign the sets in Peter Pan when Jeremy Sumpter went through a growth spurt.  There's never a guarantee that it won't happen no matter how old the actor is, but the odds are a lot better with a 10 or 11 year old.

I realized I never answered the rest of the question.  Who plays Bean?  Oliver Davis could be a good choice.  I see Bean as being something more of a feisty, "regular" boy while Ender has more of a mysterious side, an inner spark that's a predictor that he'll be a future leader.   David Dorfman has done well in this kind of role.  They're both 11, only about 3 months apart in age.  I'm still thinking about who would play Peter. 

I love these books and would love to see this movie made more than almost any other movie on earth.  But at the rate they are going, the character who plays Ender hasn't even been born yet.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #19 - 08. Mar 2005 at 06:27
Print Post  
I wouldn't be surprised if they put the project in the 'too hard basket' and if it ever gets made there is always a chance it may end up as an animated feature.  Perhaps a well budgeted mini series would be the way to go... that way they could do more justice to novels.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #20 - 09. Mar 2005 at 12:00
Print Post  
my  chcoies freddie higmore, camron bright. there is probaly more but thta all i can think of

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #21 - 09. Mar 2005 at 12:19
Print Post  
according to imdb the chracter of ender is going to be six like in the book i am confused i thought the changing his age to nine. i hope the do keep him six. however it would be hard to find an actor that young taht can do the role well.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #22 - 09. Mar 2005 at 20:47
Print Post  
If he does start off as a six year old he'll prolly be played by a younger actor and I doubt if it would go much beyond the first 5-10mins of the movie.

I'll be surprised if the actor who plays the main Ender is less than 12 years old.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #23 - 09. Mar 2005 at 21:06
Print Post  
I do hope they get it going, one way or another. Meanwhile, I think I'll read the first book again. Smiley

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #24 - 11. Mar 2005 at 23:06
Print Post  
Well, I did and I missed a lot of the power of the story the first time through. Wow.
I now can't help but fear that if the screenplay covers the sequel also, we might end up with another 'get his boyhood covered quickly so we can get to the real story.' Just my pessimism, and I sincerely hope not.

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #25 - 11. Mar 2005 at 23:17
Print Post  
I don't think you have to worry about the screenplay focusing on the young Ender.  Orson Scott Card wrote the screenplay concept with the young Ender in mind, in fact he rewrote it after seeing Jake Lloyd in Star Wars, with Jake in mind for playing Ender.  That just lets you know how long ago this project has been planned. 

I don't think Card would think Jake was the right person to play Ender these days though.  Here's a pic from last summer.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #26 - 11. Sep 2005 at 15:22
Print Post  
Imdb say it is suppose to be made 2007.  That is long time away.

Ender's Game (2007)

Directed by
Wolfgang Petersen

Writing credits
Orson Scott Card (story)
Michael Dougherty (screenplay)

Plot Summary for  Ender's Game (2007)

Six year old Ender Wiggin leaves his life and family on Earth when humanity comes under threat from an alien race. After journeying to the Belt, he enrolls at Battle School, and his life is strictly disciplined by mind games and computer mock-battles.

Summary written by Eddy (eddy2376)

Andrew "Ender" Wiggin is a third - a child born outside of the two child limit with the hope that he will be the one with the talent and the temperment to beat back the Formic, twice near-invaders of a future Earth. When the time is right, Ender is brought to the Battle School, an orbiting military academy designed to mold tomorrow's youth into the future's top commanders. But at the Battle School, ones education consists of more than just classes - Ender fights intensely private battles as well as public ones - Zero G team-based combat missions, the center of life at the school. Are Ender's experiences here a normal by-product of military training in, or are the teachers attempting to plot a greater, harsher fate for Ender?

Summary written by S R Hadden

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print