Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Mysterious Skin (Read 7,001 times)
hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Mysterious Skin
20. Mar 2005 at 07:07
Print Post  
Mysterious Skin

(limited) release, May 20

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Brady Corbet
Jeffrey Licon
George Webster
Chase Ellison
Zane Huett

Joseph, Jeffrey

Brady

George

and that's probably Chase in the poster at the top.

LINKS... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Re: Mysterious Skin
Reply #1 - 20. Mar 2005 at 08:48
Print Post  
The reviews on IMDb make this sound like a don't-miss movie, in case the picture on the movie poster didn't already convince you of that.

I'm pretty sure you're right, that the picture is of Chase Ellison.  Here's a picture of him from the TV show Family Law, from the Tv Tome website: 

This will be an interesting cast to watch with newcomers and some stars we've been watching for 10 years.  It's hard to believe that Joseph Gordon-Levitt is 24 years old.

IP Logged

Keegan

BA Member

Reply #2 - 20. Mar 2005 at 08:54
Print Post  
I found Scott Heim's writing extremely powerful, and the only thing I disliked is the subplot involving the UFO (quite unnecessary). I will watch the movie as soon as possible.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 20. Mar 2005 at 19:49
Print Post  
That's a really nice poster, does anyone know how long Chase is in the movie before his character grows up?

IP Logged

Keegan

BA Member

Reply #4 - 22. Mar 2005 at 11:45
Print Post  
Quote:
That's a really nice poster, does anyone know how long Chase is in the movie before his character grows up?

That might not work that way as he is only involved in flashbacks in the book. I guess we will see him from time to time just as Logan Lerman in the Butterfly Effect.

By the way the photograph of Chase Ellison makes me think that Araki is kind of a genius. His features seem to exaxtly fit Neil's character (they convey a sense of threat, a little bit like Joel Palmer in X-Files, high intelligence and obviously...deep mystery).

IP Logged

AH382
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #5 - 22. Mar 2005 at 16:36
Print Post  
MarkL02, you're right that I  agree because Joseph is 24 now but it is  fast time since he grew up fast for years.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 23. Mar 2005 at 00:30
Print Post  
There's a trailer here:

IP Logged

Keegan

BA Member

Reply #7 - 30. Mar 2005 at 13:19
Print Post  
So, I've been able to watch it. A bit disapointing sadly. Not that the spirit of the book has vanished, but it certainly is diminished.

There is for instance one magic shot that introduces the picture: a shof of Neil's face as the cornflakes are being poured over him. The music is quite inspired too at that moment. But the movie does not explore sufficiently the nature of the relation between the coach and Neil and looses itself in secondary aspects, like the UFO story.

There would be so much more to say but you will see for yourself as it still is worth being watched.

A word about the screen time though. You see the two boys all the time during the first 20 minutes of the film. Afterwards there are no real flashbacks as there were in the book but more like quick insert shots that reveal what the boys did with the coach.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #8 - 20. Jul 2005 at 02:03
Print Post  
Saw this at the theatre tonight. Loved it.

I haven't read the book, so I can't compare. I don't like to compare books to movies anyway. All I know is that on its own, this is an amazing film. It will make a lot of people uncomfortable and has a very brutal rape scene (not involving the younger actors), but I didn't feel that these elements were gratuitous.

Highly recommended.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #9 - 20. Jul 2005 at 02:09
Print Post  
Also, I want to point mention that the UFO thing is really more than a subplot and I strongly disagree that it was "unnecessary." Given that many of Araki's films have dealt with this theme, it's not surprising that he explores it again here. I don't know how it's treated in the book, but I just can't imagine the film without it. It makes no sense to say it was unnecessary, because pretty much everything in the film depends upon it. Take out the UFO theme and you're left with a straightforward and rather unoriginal story about abuse.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 20. Jul 2005 at 23:58
Print Post  
They've got to be crappity smacking kidding:

Mysterious Skin film may be banned
7:30 AM July 20 2005

The American director of controversial film Mysterious Skin says he is stunned the movie about sexually abused teenagers may be banned in Australia.

Speaking in Sydney ahead of the film's first Australian screening, Gregg Araki said Mysterious Skin had not created controversy in any other country.

"I am very surprised," Araki said.

"The fact (is) that the film has opened already in so many other countries with no incident, no problem with censorship or anything."

The film, classified R18+, was referred to the Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification after a complaint by federal Attorney General Philip Ruddock.

Mr Ruddock made the complaint after receiving advice from South Australian counterpart Michael Atkinson after complaints by the Australian Family Association.

The Office of Film and Literature is yet to set a date for a hearing on the film.

"I have always thought of Australia as a very sort of progressive, sophisticated, cosmopolitan place. So to run into this roadblock is surprising," Araki said.

Mysterious Skin is based on a novel by Scott Heim and stars 3rd Rock from the Sun actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Neil and Brady Corbet as Brian.

The story revolves around the two boys remembering incidents of sexual abuse, but in totally different ways.

"It deals with the aftermath of this abuse in a very truthful and a very sort of unflinching kind of way," Araki said.

"It is a very emotional and powerful story and that is why I made it."

The film debuted at last year's Venice Film Festival and has screened at a string of movie festivals around the world.

"I haven't cut the film in any other territory," Araki said.

"Australia is one of the last territories to open so it is kind of strange that the controversy is this late in the release of the film.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #11 - 21. Jul 2005 at 00:30
Print Post  
Yeah, I heard about this. Always seems to happen in Australia, for some reason. (Remember the big deal about Ken Park some time ago?)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #12 - 21. Jul 2005 at 01:00
Print Post  
Yup it pisses me off something fierce. Up until a few years ago we've had a very liberal approach to censorship and now the spastic Conservative Government which is nothing more than a hemorrhoid on Bush's arsehole is being heavily influenced by myopic disease-headed right winged christian groups.

IP Logged

Nibowaka

BA Member

Reply #13 - 26. Jul 2005 at 17:59
Print Post  
Cal...why don't you say what you really mean  Grin and say it with feeling!  Wink

As for the movie, I enjoyed it.  I have not read the book, so no comparisons here.  The movie seemed an exploration of the two boys' reactions to similar events in their young lives.  These are certainly not the only reactions that could have occurred, but they are the ones presented.  There is more room for honest exploration in the area of intergenerational relationships.  Not all lead to prostitution or self-hate.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #14 - 03. Aug 2005 at 03:35
Print Post  
this movie has a weirdness factor of 100.......

some nice action shots in it, and pretty sexual too

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print