Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Gulliver's Travels (1996) (Read 1,854 times)
Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Gulliver's Travels (1996)
09. Apr 2005 at 08:00
Print Post  

Even though Thomas Sturridge is listed very low on the list at Imdb, he is one of the principle actors in the film and appears through out the entire film. The main reason he is not listed higher is because of all the big name stars that perform in their own fantasy segment. Thomas’s character is the son of the main actor: Gulliver. I did not think he was a particularly good actor but he does have “presence” with his looks and it did not heart to have his father as the director for his first 2 films. His mother was also in the same two movies also. We have a family that works and plays together.
   Most of us have either read or have had the story Gulliver’s Travels told to us in the western world. It is just one of those fantasy stories that catch’s the imagination of a youth. The problem is that to make the story complete into a movie is quite a different thing. This is the only Gulliver movie that tried to use the entire book into the movie. This movie is almost 4 hours long and way to long for a movie. They could have taken out an hour of the film and it would have been a lot more pleasant. But on the other hand, I have to remember that this was made as a mini series for TV. It was probably much easier to absorb in segments. Each segment had its big name star as the center of attraction for that’s nights viewing.

Thomas’s parents are Phoebe Nicholls and Charles Sturridge (directing and writing). They both started acting in their your and both are still acting and directing. Thomas is also still acting and has a movie in production called Like Minds.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 05:07 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Keegan

BA Member

Re: Gulliver's Travels
Reply #1 - 09. Apr 2005 at 11:15
Print Post  
Gulliver's travels is a tv movie and therefore lacks artistic ambition. It certainly was expensive to make but the cinematography is rather dull. I did not find the actors very convincing either.
But little Thomas, as a sensitive boy anxious for his father's sake, is rather good.

I see that is other part as a young actor in Fairy Tale is extremely slim (he is listed as "a fairy" and can maybe only seen in one shot or two).

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Gulliver's Travels
Reply #2 - 10. Apr 2005 at 04:04
Print Post  
For some reason there has never been term coined to adequately describe a two-part movie.  Mini series doesn't seem quite right, as many mini series have several episodes. TV movie also seems a bit short of the mark. "Two-part TV movie" is my term for these sort of presentations.

Anyway, I would recommend that viewers watch it in 4 stages... one adventure at a time. It has more impact that way.

I think the look of the 'movie' was great and the cast was impressive but some of the acting was over the top. Oh and Thomas looked fantastic with that long hair.  Smiley

« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 05:07 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print