Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Mysterious Skin (Read 8,258 times)
MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Mysterious Skin
24. Apr 2005 at 11:03
Print Post  
The Mysterious Skin is a powerful film about two kids in two parts of their life.  At the age of 8, two boys met on their smalltown Kansas Little League team.  One experienced his first love, the other boy lost several hours of his life in an unexplained disappearance.  About 10 years later, the first boy spends his free time hustling lonely guys in the town park, and the second one begins a search to find out what caused the childhood blackout which has haunted him ever since.

I'd rather not reveal too much more about the plot, because the movie will hit you harder if you don't know much about it.  It's based on a book which is apparently well loved by a lot of people because there was a passionate discussion about the book in the line of people waiting to get in.  When movies are based on well-loved books, I often find it's better to see the movie first.

The Mysterious Skin had as much emotional impact on me as any movie that I've seen in the past 5 years.  This is not completely a good thing, because there is one scene, perhaps the most powerful scene of all, which I would have rather had not seen.  I don't think it's even central to the movie's message.   I just wish it was gone, or at least toned down.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt proves again that he's one of the best and most daring young actors around.  Even though he was well over 20 here, he can still play a credible 15 year old in a few scenes as his character grows up.  Brady Corbet is not an actor I'd given much thought to before this, but he's also memorable as the friend with the missing memories.   Jeffrey Licon (called "Jeff" in the credits) is great as the best friend.  He wears the most bizarre makeup in rural Kansas and suffers from a raging crush on JGL's character Neil.

The new boy to watch is Chase Ellison, who is challenged with a role something like Logan Lerman in The Butterly Effect.  He's only 8, but performs astonishingly well as the younger version of JGL.  With his talent and good looks, he could become one of the very top young actors in the next few years.

The Mysterious Skin could have been one of my all-time favorite movies if not for the scene I wish so badly had been cut or heavily edited.  As it is, I'd say it was very highly recommended, but think twice if you don't have a strong tolerance for graphic violence.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: Mysterious Skin
Reply #1 - 24. Apr 2005 at 11:49
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) to some previous info on this board

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 02. Nov 2015 at 21:54 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #2 - 24. Apr 2005 at 12:38
Print Post  
I feel same way MarkL do about film that is very good but got one scene make me wish never to see film again. 

One Hour Photo is good movie but got scene I wish never in film and so do film Motorama.

It importnat film dont got edit but I also wish director dont make scene if it make feel sick or dont wish to see movie again.

I hope Mysterious Skin is good film and bad scene not very bad.

IP Logged

Keegan

BA Member

Reply #3 - 26. Apr 2005 at 12:23
Print Post  
Nothing of the considerable force of the book has remained in this picture, which dares nothing but wants to make you think the opposite.
Chase Ellison is indeed very good.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 28. Apr 2005 at 21:16
Print Post  
Jasen,
What scene in Motorama affected you so deeply?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #5 - 29. Apr 2005 at 11:58
Print Post  
My guess...

The part where he was tied to a chair and had been beaten on the face...  it looked nasty.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #6 - 29. Apr 2005 at 21:35
Print Post  
Zabladowski 
Cal is right.  When Gus got eye very bad after tie to chair and got hurt bad.  I dont like scene none and wish wasnt in film.

I also seen stupid scene in Motorama when boy cut string for kite of man at gas station and when man run down road to chase it there other people run on road beside it too.  It got to be mistake director make because in scene boy and man suposed to be alone at gas station in middle of flat country.

I like movie lots but got bad scene and mistake part too.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #7 - 03. May 2005 at 00:20
Print Post  
I won't say thanks for reminding me  Tongue,
it looks like my selective memory was at work again.

Now that you guys bring it up, I do remember that segment of the movie, but I guess it didn't register well enough for me to remember it.

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #8 - 02. Nov 2015 at 15:38
Print Post  
Mysterious Skin (2004) was
quite the interesting movie!

Cheesy

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #9 - 02. Nov 2015 at 15:43
Print Post  
Zabladowski wrote on 03. May 2005 at 00:20:
I won't say thanks for reminding me  Tongue,
it looks like my selective memory was at work again.

Now that you guys bring it up, I do remember that segment of the movie, but I guess it didn't register well enough for me to remember it.

Those were some pretty harsh scenes in the film.

I think the 'selective memory' can be attributed to what happens at the end of the film.
(I won't say what happens because it's a spoiler, just in case someone hasn't had the
pleasure of viewing this excellent film, starring Jordan Christopher Michael)

Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print