Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Wanted: Man (2005) (Read 5,409 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Wanted: Man (2005)
08. May 2005 at 23:07
Print Post  

In honor of Mother's day I call to your attention this new film from Holland. It's Dutch title is Gezocht: Man; it's boy star is Thom van Seijen.
This description is lifted from the Rotterdam film festival website.

Bas is a sensitive and enterprising boy aged nine who sets off to find a new husband for his mother. His mother thinks that Bas is looking for a father and - in secret - also embarks on a quest.

Patrice Toye, who earlier made an impression with Rosie, een duivel in m'n kop, made Wanted: Man basically as a film for Dutch television. Also in this film, she allows young people to take a fresh look at the adult world. Bas, a sensitive, nine-year-old boy (nearly ten!) and his mother Rosalie have a tight bond. She works in a call centre for insurance and he is an outsider at school. In the weekend, Rosalie goes to the local bar with her girlfriend/colleague. One thing is lacking from their life: a father for Bas and a lover for Rosalie. Bas would like to see his mother Rosalie happier, and decides to go and find a man for her. He hangs notes in the supermarket and has test dates with men under the bridge. When Rosalie finds out what Bas is up to, she interprets it as a sign of his sorrow. She starts - equally secretively - to look for a father for her son. Then her boss starts making advances. Wanted: Man is a modest tragicomedy in which above all Monic Hendrickx plays a wonderful role as a slightly slovenly, sympathetic single mother. Also watch out for the beautifully nasty supporting role of Kitty Courbois (who seems to get better and better as she gets older) as Rosalie's mother. The bond between mother and son is beautifully and sensitively portrayed by the slow motion Super8 shots of happy moments.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 28. Aug 2008 at 03:20 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: Wanted: Man (2005)
Reply #1 - 09. May 2005 at 20:35
Print Post  
Zab,

Sounds neat and I love the caps.

I just have to ask though - what the heck kind of contraption is the boy sitting in in the first pic?   ???  It almost looks like he could drown himself in it filling it up eith the hose if he wasn't careful.

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 09. May 2005 at 21:57
Print Post  
I honestly don't know MJ.

This one hasn't been seen outside of Holland as far as I know. My guess is it's a poor boy's swimming pool; the publicity photos I've decorated the preview with do suggest that Bas has a certain affinity for the water.

Hopefully this film will make its way across the pond or some kind Dutch poster will fill us in eventually.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 10. May 2005 at 08:44
Print Post  
Thanks Zab,  this looks really good...

Nifty title too  Smiley

That 'contraption' looks like a goldfish tank to me.

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 10. May 2005 at 16:30
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks Zab,  this looks really good...

Nifty title too  Smiley

That 'contraption' looks like a goldfish tank to me.

Could be, except that it looks a shade big for that (but I have seen big fish tanks before that could be large enough to hold a kid that small).

I would have said a dunk tank except it was sitting the wrong way.

What is the hose/line hanging from his nose?  Does the boy have some kind of health problem that requires it, or is he always ready with a snorkel in case he sees some high water he wants to take to?

A lot of questions I know...

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #5 - 24. Apr 2006 at 17:43
Print Post  
It would be nice to see a gallery of this film.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 30. Apr 2006 at 08:06
Print Post  
Unfortunately it doesn't look like this movie has made it to countries outside The Netherlands... nor does it appear to have been released on DVD.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print