Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My Teacher Mr Kim (2003) (Read 8,189 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

My Teacher Mr Kim (2003)
20. Jun 2005 at 08:47
Print Post  

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Cast:
CHA Seung-won as KIM Bong-doo
BYUN Hee-bong as CHOI Noh-in
SUNG Ji-roo as CHUN Shik-yi
CHOI MIn-joo as Nam-wook
LEE Ji-eun as Ae-soon
KIM Hong-gyun as Nam-jin
HAN Sung-jin as Sung-min
LEE Jae-eung as So-seok

Apparently to be remade in Hollywood.  South Korean movie about a corrupt school teacher, who takes bribes from parents to improve the grades of his students. He is found out and sent to teach at a small village school which has only 5 pupils... 3 boys and two girls.

The 5 kids eventually win him over in what turns out to be quite a sentimantal tearjerker of a movie. Nice performances by a very appealing cast. The kids are only supporting players but they are very good.

One strong negative...the harshness of corporal punishment enacted upon the kids is rather startling... if I saw anyone beating a kid to that extent I'd need to be restrained to stop me doing likewise to the teacher.

Overall a good movie worth checking out.

I'll try to get some caps made.

The film is screening on World Movies here... about a dozen times over the next few weeks.
« Last Edit: 26. Jul 2008 at 23:48 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: My teacher Mr Kim (2003 Korea)
Reply #1 - 20. Jun 2005 at 10:07
Print Post  

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #2 - 20. Jun 2005 at 22:39
Print Post  
There is a way to cure a teacher of the tactics that he uses. Make him eat a large piece of bread with a thick layer of Vegemite on it without anything to drink or eat with it for several hours. Matter of fact, this would be a great cure all for many things as a punishment. It makes Castor Oil taste like candy.

I saw the “making of” this film. The main boy actor does a very good job and he really was hit that hard as shown in the movie.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 21. Jun 2005 at 00:15
Print Post  
Make him eat a large piece of bread with a thick layer of Vegemite

I have that for breakfast every morning  Smiley

As for the boy getting beaten... it occurred to me that it looked too real...  the tears and emotion on his face looked genuine too. I hope he got well rewarded for his ordeal.  I wonder how many takes they did of that scene   Sad

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 21. Jun 2005 at 02:15
Print Post  
I figured that I would get a response from you Cal. Vegemite is the nastiest product I have ever eaten. It tastes like black petroleum oil and concentrated salt in a spreadable form. I will never forget my first bite.

The scene were he was slapped by the shoe was taken several times. He had a red face and you could see that he was in pain after the several takes was over.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #5 - 04. Jul 2005 at 09:43
Print Post  
This is a charming movie.  I laughed.  I cried...
How to get it in the US in my next message...

Quote:
Cast:
CHA Seung-won as KIM Bong-doo
BYUN Hee-bong as CHOI Noh-in
SUNG Ji-roo as CHUN Shik-yi
CHOI MIn-joo as Nam-wook
LEE Ji-eun as Ae-soon
KIM Hong-gyun as Nam-jin
HAN Sung-jin as Sung-min
LEE Jae-eung as So-seok

...but we also need to know the actors who played Jun-seok (the new student) and Mr. Kim as a child...

Quote:
Apparently to be remade in Hollywood.

One of the on-line reviews mentions this and questions what it would be about... Apparently bribery of teachers (and other officials) is a current problem in Korea.

But the good thing is--if it is remade in Hollywood, then there will probably be a DVD release of the original in the US, as in "Jungle2Jungle" and "The Ring".

Quote:
One strong negative...the harshness of corporal punishment enacted upon the kids is rather startling...

In the DVD extras (both in the "making of" featurette, and outtakes) we see parents and others rushing in after these scenes to comfort the kids.

In the worst scene (So-seok punished for skipping school), the kid is sitting there still with tears on his face, and the director is showing him how to cry better in the next take.  And of course when they hug at the end, they have to do it a certain way, so the camera can focus on his face...

Another interesting bit in the "making of": we see the director and the crew wearing heavy winter coats (even in the indoor scenes), but the actors are there in normal clothes, perhaps even in short sleeves.  A couple of times we can see their breath as they speak, but I didn't notice that in the film itself.

Quote:
Overall a good movie worth checking out.

« Last Edit: 13. Jun 2011 at 01:22 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

DVD
Reply #6 - 04. Jul 2005 at 10:06
Print Post  
I got "My Teacher, Mr. Kim" on DVD from (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links), a site for Asian videos imported to the US.  It is listed as "Teacher Mr. Kim"

The DVD is $23.99 (they also have it listed on VCD for $9.99, but I didn't get that).  NTSC, English subtitles.

It says Region 3, but that is only partly true.  There are two disks.  Disk 1 is all regions, and contains the movie.  Also commentary (in Korean), a nice music video, a movie trailer, a TV spot.  The menus are Korean  only, so I kind of had to use trial and error to find things.

Disk 2 is region 3 restricted.  (But even if you cannot view R3, I think the movie alone is worth the price.)  There is a "making of" featurette; screen tests/auditions for the 5 child actors; three scenes showing multiple takes; explanation of the CG used; and a few items that I did not understand.

Here, I tried to tell which one is which....(fixed)

« Last Edit: 13. Jun 2011 at 01:17 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 04. Jul 2005 at 11:30
Print Post  
Thank you for the YesAsia site link.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 04. Jul 2005 at 23:31
Print Post  
Thanks Hosenhaus...

I've been meaning to make some caps from the movie but haven't had time. If you have made any please post them as I don't know when I'll get a chance to do them.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: My Teacher Mr Kim (2003)
Reply #9 - 12. Jun 2011 at 21:23
Print Post  
Smiley I saw this movie this evening. I very liked the plau of Jae-Eung LEE in part of Se-Seok, Hong-Gyon KIM in part of Sung-Min and Min-Joo CHOI in part of Nam-Wook but my movie rating is only  of 5/10 !

IP Logged

Benjamin
Platinum Member

Re: My Teacher Mr Kim (2003)
Reply #10 - 13. Jun 2011 at 02:25
Print Post  
I have seen Jibeuro and thought that film was great. My teacher mr. Kim is also very nice, although not of the standard set by Ciao professore! My rating will be 6/10. Of course one must take into account that corporal punishment in South Korea is very common. I remember Guus Hiddink (football coach of the South Korean team that did so well in 2002) commenting on one of his staff members who struck one of the players: 'This I could not tolerate. I had to dismiss him.' It is remarkable that Guus Hiddink was quoted in Mr. Kim's farewell speech!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print