Guest Message
Hi there Guest,

It looks like you are enjoying reading our forum, so why don't you register an account with us to stop seeing this message and benefit from many more features. Registration is easy and will only take you a few minutes.

If you already have an account with us, then click here to log in.

Thank you,

The BoyActors Forum Team
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Off topic musing - "sending away" (Read 4,818 times)
YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Off topic musing - "sending away"
24. Jun 2005 at 10:24
Print Post  
When I was a boy (back in the Mesozoic era) we called it 'sending away.' With 2 box tops from Cheerios and 25 cents you could 'send away' for your very own Tomahawk decoder ring or Lone Ranger compass ring, with a secret compartment for messages (about one cubic millimeter of space  Grin) or several other kinds of neat stuff.

And now, feeling flush with some extra spending money, I just recently ordered a digital camera from an online vendor. It struck me just how 'ultimate' the send-away thing has become - and how awestruck that 10 year old would be, all those years ago.  Smiley

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Re: Off topic musing - "sending away"
Reply #1 - 25. Jun 2005 at 08:01
Print Post  
The killer thing about sending away for stuff was "allow 6-8 weeks for delivery."  You'd save your money and whatever boxtops you needed, which would take forever anyway.  Then, when you sent it all off, it would take forever for them to send the stuff back to you.  Today, if you buy something from eBay and it doesn't get to you in a week or two, the sellers get a bad recommendation and go out of business.  In the past, those mail order people would think nothing of making you wait for an entire summer!

I sometimes wonder why it took so long.  What did they do, wait til you placed an order before they manufactured it?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 25. Jun 2005 at 14:42
Print Post  
The hottest item I remember waiting for was the atomic bomb ring  Shocked (horrors!) and it seemed like it did take a whole summer. Most of the other kids were waiting along with me. They probably only had one or two people opening all those bulky envelopes from kids - on their lunch break. Grin

Yeah, I'll probably have the camera by Monday or Tuesday!

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 25. Jun 2005 at 17:36
Print Post  
I remember saving up cereal tops for a long time to get a Jet! I ate a particular cereal for several months and then sent off for the jet. It was an early 1960’s model that was attached to 2 pieces of string and a handle on the other end. You twirled round and round with the jet and with the handle; you could make the jet move somewhat up and down on its own. You helped me remember this toy and it was the earliest prized toy I had at an age of 6 or 7.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 26. Jun 2005 at 00:26
Print Post  
You guys are old.  Tongue

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #5 - 26. Jun 2005 at 19:07
Print Post  
Bliss it was in those years to be alive.  I just got a vision of YoungArthur as a kid hearing that the mailman had delivered a package for him - openmouthed in wonder, "Is that my Lone Ranger ring?" Did we say "Cool," back then ?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #6 - 26. Jun 2005 at 19:21
Print Post  
At that time, I think 'cool' was a few years down the road for us. 'NEAT!' or just plain 'WOW!' was the word.
Were the boys in the UK saying 'WIZARD!' in those days?  Grin

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 26. Jun 2005 at 22:40
Print Post  
For me it was "gee-wiz", "neat-o", "dog-gone it" and "darn it".

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 01. Jul 2005 at 08:55
Print Post  
I think I got my 'Phantom' ring that way. It was very cool to have. It was my answer to those school bullies who kept picking on me. The ring had a human skull mark on it and it was supposed to leave the impression of a skull on the jaw of everyone you clobbered. The marist brothers didn't think to kindly of me when I tried it out at school on a couple of unsuspecting 'enemies'. They took my ring and I got six whacks with the strap...

..so much for being invincible.  Smiley

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 06. Jul 2005 at 03:58
Print Post  
Quote:
I think I got my 'Phantom' ring that way. It was very cool to have. It was my answer to those school bullies who kept picking on me. The ring had a human skull mark on it and it was supposed to leave the impression of a skull on the jaw of everyone you clobbered. The marist brothers didn't think to kindly of me when I tried it out at school on a couple of unsuspecting 'enemies'. They took my ring and I got six whacks with the strap...

..so much for being invincible.  Smiley

You getting punished for standing up to the school bullies, never mind that's what the school SAYS they want you to do.  Gee, that sounds familiar...Sad

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #10 - 09. Jul 2005 at 11:19
Print Post  
I come to library and can do post.   It is funny think about got to wait long time to get a atomic bomb ring and jet. 

cal Im sorry you got bullys they are not nice.  It is dream be able to be stronger than some body who is two times as big and got weigh hundred pounds more.  When you say about put mark with ring it make me think about movie DUTCH when Dutch dooley hit Doyles dad with ring bcause he was not nice to him or his mom. 

I like send away for things and am happy dont got to wait whole summer like posts say long time ago.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 09. Jul 2005 at 11:52
Print Post  
Hey Jasen,

We miss you when you are not here. Glad to see you around...  hope things are going well for you and that you soon manage to get a computer that will let you post here...  take care.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print