Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic minipops on uk tv (Read 2,894 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

minipops on uk tv
11. Oct 2005 at 05:11
Print Post  
the show revisited in documentary tonite.

22:55  Whatever Happened to the Minipops?
[subtitles

In 1983, a fledging Channel 4 aired a kids' TV series and sparked a national scandal.

Minipops featured children in heavy make up, imitating their favourite pop stars on screen

Minipops provoked an unprecedented media backlash amid accusations of sexualising the participating children.

Whatever Happened to the Minipops? looks back at the show and the impact its notoriety had on the kids caught in the centre of the storm.

read about the `controversy` here : geocities.com/minipopsmagic/about.html

cached at http site : 216.239.59.104/search?q=cache:fTMqbtbO4z0J:www.geocities.com/minipopsmagic/about.html+minipops+%22channel+4%22&hl=en

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: minipops on uk tv
Reply #1 - 11. Oct 2005 at 23:04
Print Post  
Fascinating article. Those reactions seem quite absurd to me, although hardly surprising.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 13. Oct 2005 at 01:13
Print Post  
I've never heard of them before now.

There used to be a VERY popular kids/family show in Australia called 'Young Talent Time'. It lasted for many years and provided a launching pad for many talented performers. Suddenly in the late 80s it inexplicably got the chop. I've always thought that the reason was more to do with concerns from conservatives that the youngsters were strutting their stuff too sensually, and perhaps even that the shows host was a little too chummy and cuddly with his young charges.

IP Logged

Gazza
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 13. Oct 2005 at 04:20
Print Post  
"perhaps even that the shows host was a little too chummy and cuddly with his young charges. "

Indeed. This was always my own feeling, of course from my own biased perspective. There were rumours though.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print