Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Jonathan Brandis (Read 39,751 times)
MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Jonathan Brandis
24. Nov 2003 at 20:43
Print Post  
I know this has been posted already, but it was lost in the crash....

Jonathan Brandis

April 13, 1976 - November 12, 2003

Rest in Peace, Jon

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Jonathan Brandis
Reply #1 - 24. Nov 2003 at 22:11
Print Post  
thanks Mike,

I see that IMBd has finally noted the day of his death.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 07. May 2008 at 17:43 by Quantum »  

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #2 - 25. Nov 2003 at 12:12
Print Post  
Here is the latest from L.A.

Death of actor Jonathan Brandis ruled suicide

The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES --
The death of 27-year-old actor Jonathan Brandis, who starred in two seasons of Steven Spielberg's "SeaQuest DSV," was a suicide, the county coroner's office said Monday.

Brandis, who died Nov. 12, committed suicide by hanging, said Elissa Fleak, a coroner's investigator.

Brandis started his career in commercials and on television, landing a recurring role on the soap "One Life to Live" at age 6. He also made guest appearances on "L.A. Law," "Who's the Boss?" and "Murder, She Wrote."

His film credits included the starring role in 1991's "The Neverending Story 2: The Next Chapter," the Rodney Dangerfield comedy "Ladybugs," and the martial arts comedy "Sidekicks" with Chuck Norris.

It gets worse:

LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT
PRESS RELEASE
Thursday, November 20, 2003

"Actor Jonathan Brandis’ Suicide Investigation"

Los Angeles: The Los Angeles Police Department, Wilshire Area Homicide Unit, is handling the death investigation of 27 year-old actor Jonathan Brandis.

On November 11, 2003, at about 11:40 p.m., a friend of Jonathan Brandis called police to report that the actor had attempted suicide at his apartment, located in the 600 block of Detroit Avenue. Paramedics from the Los Angeles Fire department responded and transported Brandis to Cedars Sinai Medical Center where he eventually died from his injuries. Brandis was pronounced dead by hospital staff on November 12, 2003, at about 2:45 p.m.

An autopsy will be performed by the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office and the official cause of death is still pending.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is requested to contact Wilshire Area Homicide Unit, at 213-473-0460. On weekends and during off-hours, call the 24-hour toll free number at the Detective Information Desk, at 1-877-LAWFULL, 1-877-529-3855.

This news release was prepared by Public Information Officer Jason Lee, Media Relations Section, 213-485-3586.

[END]

That means that beautiful, softspoken young man suffered for almost 15 hours, before he was finally set free.  Words cannot express how sad I feel about that.

I had posted here, before the crash, about a very brief time I was able to spend with him, while he was here filming SeaQuest.   I will post it again in the future, but somehow I just don't feel like doing it now.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #3 - 25. Nov 2003 at 13:22
Print Post  
God, that's awful.  I don't know what else to say.  We're all grieving, Mike. 

That is a really beautiful pic of him, Cal.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #4 - 25. Nov 2003 at 16:28
Print Post  
Yes, that is a wonderful pic cal posted.  That looks exactly how he was when he was here....that must be from about the same time.

He seemed so full of life, with a smile, and those bright flashing eyes.  As I posted before, the only things he didn't like here were the bugs and the heat.  Of course he didn't know me or my friends, but he just chatted with us like we were old pals.

Not the slightest hint of what was to follow only too soon.

We will probably never know what was going through his mind when he took that last step; and I feel we don't have a right to know anyway.

IP Logged

Boydreamer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 20. Dec 2003 at 00:39
Print Post  
Quote:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

1976-2003
Poor Jonathan. I've been suicidal before so I know how he felt. I hope he is at peace. Jon, I love you. So many people did. WHY?  Cry
« Last Edit: 07. May 2008 at 17:44 by Quantum »  

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #6 - 20. Dec 2003 at 09:17
Print Post  
Quote:
Poor Jonathan. I've been suicidal before so I know how he felt. I hope he is at peace. Jon, I love you. So many people did. WHY?  Cry

I think that only God and Jon know the answer to that.

I have done extensive searching on the net, and can find nothing that would point to his actions.  OF course, you can believe about 10 percent of what is on the net, but if there were something very wrong, it seems it would have poped up somewhere.

In my very brief meeting with him, I found him to be very soft-spoken, and very sensitive. I'm just afraid that whatever pressures he was feeling were just too much for him.

May God bless his soul.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #7 - 31. Dec 2003 at 13:37
Print Post  
Jon's Apartment building

That sign, seen at the far right side of the pic.....

That makes you realize how final it really is.  Cry
« Last Edit: 06. May 2008 at 20:22 by MikeZ »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 01. Jan 2004 at 03:40
Print Post  
The facade of the building is a bit odd...  only the bottom windows match...  I guess there have been a lot of alterations to it over the years..

..wonder which set of windows was Jon's.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #9 - 01. Jan 2004 at 11:40
Print Post  
I'll check and see if I can find out.

The building was not difficult to find; Jon's name and address is in the phone book.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #10 - 13. Apr 2004 at 09:05
Print Post  
Today is Jonathan Brandis's birthday, he would have been 28.

Rest in peace, my friend.

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #11 - 14. Apr 2004 at 12:28
Print Post  
Last night, I went with 4 friends to the St. Petersburg Pier, for dinner, to celebrate Jon's birthday.  These are the same 4 who were with me, when we accidently met him at the pier about 11 years ago.  Last night, we sat at the same table as before, and all ordered the same dinners as before.  While waiting for the food to arrive, Patsy mentioned "there is an empty chair at our table".....that was it, that's what made it so final, and so real.  I don't think any of us ate much of the food. She felt terrible about saying that, but it was something we all knew, but just were not putting into words.

We miss you, Jon.

« Last Edit: 06. May 2008 at 20:18 by MikeZ »  

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #12 - 14. Apr 2004 at 16:25
Print Post  
That looks like a nice place, MikeZ.  Smiley

I know more about the real personality of Jon because of your interaction with him and your memories of those good times, than I ever would have known just by reading about him at IMDb or somewhere similar.  I hope the dinner in honor of his birthday helps you and your friends to deal with the pain of his loss, and you'll find peace in those memories for many years to come.

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

MikeZ
Platinum Member

What?

Reply #13 - 14. Apr 2004 at 17:44
Print Post  
It is indeed a great place.  Lots of specialty shops, and many wonderful restaurants.  I have still not managed to visit them all.  On the upper layers, the view is breathtaking.

Jon was one of the rare people that, after meeting for the first time, within a few short minutes, you feel you have known them all your life. After about 10 minutes, we were all just chatting and making jokes like we had always all been together.  Patsy, usually very shy, told him if she wasn't twice his age, and married, she would run away with him in a heartbeat.  Jon quickly came back with "Well, you might consider adopting me! "     The short time we were able to spend with him is something I will always treasure.

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #14 - 14. Apr 2004 at 18:59
Print Post  
One heck of a lot of views for this post, Mike, and I suspect a lot like me too teary-eyed to know how to reply.  Still, a big thankyou to you and Patsy for remembering Jon: still think of him as that little kid knocked about by others as he climbs out of the pool in Neverending Story 2.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print