Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Database features? (Read 39,132 times)
Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Database features?
18. Mar 2005 at 12:39
Print Post  
I've decided to give the database its annual re-fit.
So, in addition to the favourite movie/actor list facility, what other facilities would you find useful?
Whatever is suggested, I'll let you know if its do-able.

As with any of my work on the dB, it probly won't happen immediately Wink So be patient Smiley

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Re: Database features?
Reply #1 - 18. Mar 2005 at 14:45
Print Post  
How about a thingy feature, so we can type in something like "that boy from that series from BBC1 on Wednesday nights about 20 yrs ago"

and the DB comes up with the answer Cheesy

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 18. Mar 2005 at 18:04
Print Post  
:laughing: That kind of search would help me tremendously. I have no new ideas, Bijou. Your setup more than meets my limited needs.
Thanks.  Smiley

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 18. Mar 2005 at 23:38
Print Post  
Well, I reckon we need to reposition the 'Guest Actor' index on the TV shows.

The only other thing I can think of right now is to have a vote button for favourite actors. People could  be allowed to vote once a week or so for their favourite five actors.

It sounds complicated though.

IP Logged

RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

Reply #4 - 19. Mar 2005 at 14:46
Print Post  
Yay!!

Very kewl Bijou Grin

And not to pat myself on back on nothing, but umm, Yea, It was my suggestion that made this happen...WOOHOO!!!

*takes a bow and blows kisses to the BA crowd*

*dislocates shoulder patting self on back* Tongue

IP Logged

RocketBoy
Bronze Member

RocketBoy

Reply #5 - 19. Mar 2005 at 16:21
Print Post  
Is the "favorite movie/actor list" going to be an individual feature or some kind of voting system that we all share?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #6 - 19. Mar 2005 at 16:43
Print Post  
OK, what would be really cool is a system like this:

Each individual user has two personal lists, one for movies and one for actors, say about 25 spots available in each. Every user enters his or her favourite movies and actors in the list, in order from favourite to least favourite.

Then, some system automatically compiles all the results from the individual lists and displays the top 25 (or whatever) actors and movies.

There should be some sort of point system so that the higher up in the list, the more points movies or actors get.

I realize this might be too complicated. But if it's possible, I think it would be an amazing feature.

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 19. Mar 2005 at 20:29
Print Post  
I really like this idea.  It might be more difficult than it sounds, but it would work a lot like a spreadsheet...you input your favorite movies or actors, and the point value gets assigned based on your ranking.

You would have to screen for multiple voting and people who came into the group just to vote for their favorites.  Trust me, there are a lot of "street teams" and people who will come out of the woodwork to produce pounds of votes for some wanna-be kid on a website.

Ideally, each member could rearrange their favorites depending on what movies they had seen lately.  So, if I went to see "Nobody Knows" last night and thought it was an all-time top 25 movie, I could enter that today and bump my number 25 movie off the list.

Then my choices would be combined with everyone else and we'd have an ongoing list of all time favorites, updated every day.  Wow.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #8 - 19. Mar 2005 at 22:24
Print Post  
I really like idea Joseph got.  It would be much fun to put best films on list and best actors and can change if see very good movie on tv or dvd or theatre.  I hope list can have any movie or actor from long time ago or new.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 19. Mar 2005 at 23:25
Print Post  
yup that sounds good...

Particularly if the lists could be adjusted as Mark suggests. I reckon I'd like the lists to have more than 25 entries though...  depends how complicated it would be I suppose.

IP Logged

AH382
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #10 - 20. Mar 2005 at 13:04
Print Post  
I really like that idea that will be good.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bijou
Global Moderator

Tinkerus Supremis

Reply #11 - 21. Mar 2005 at 13:51
Print Post  
"that boy from that series from BBC1 on Wednesday nights about 20 yrs ago"
Y'know, I was going to do a silly reply - but, don't panic, Teddy, but, somewhere in there is actually the grain of a sensible idea.
I may have a go at a slightly more sophisticated search function, to allow you to find, for e.g. all TV Series produced in the UK, between 1984 and 1986.

Anyway, back to the main whatsit thingymajig.
Based on discussion so far, what I have in mind is this -
  • All time favourite top 100(200? 250?) movies
  • All time favourite top 100(200? 250?) actors
  • Current favourite top 10 movies
  • Current favourite top 10 actors

Voting would be done from the movie/actor profile by selecting either All time favourite or Current favourite list, and entering the rank number. If you already had a list established, voting for a movie as, say, #2, would push the current #2 down to #3, #3 down to #4 etc.
Lists would be viewable by other members through their profile, and each movie/actor profile voted for would have, for e.g. "#1 on Bijou's All time favourite list, #5 on cal's All time favourite list" etc.
If I can work out a fast enough way to index the lists, we could also have movies/actors listed in order of where they come in everyone's lists, i.e. #1 would be the movie that the most people voted #1, so we could see what was the #1 BA favourite movie of all time.

Not entirely sure yet exactly how the current lists would work - whether the list would just have a date on it, whether it would only be displayed for a week, or whether you'd have a list of previous 'current lists'?

love,
Bijou

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #12 - 21. Mar 2005 at 17:24
Print Post  
Bijou

I really like way you put list of top 100 favorite film and also 100 favorite actor .  Then also have list for top 10 current film and actors.  I dont know if can do 250 actors it would be much difficult to remember many names but I think 100 all time and 10 for current is nice and same thing for films.

I am excited to do this and mabey movies be different from lists made couple months ago and that is best part because when see a new film it can change list if movie is very good.

Thank you for do this work Bijou.

IP Logged

MarkL02
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 21. Mar 2005 at 21:03
Print Post  
How would you define "current" as opposed to "all time?"  Release dates vary around the world, and many people don't see films until they're out on DVD or cable.  So you might want to consider including all films of the past 2 or 3 years as current.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #14 - 21. Mar 2005 at 21:44
Print Post  
I'd think the term 'current' would not be restricted to recent set dates.

I'd assume if Bobby Driscoll is my current favourite then I could place him top of my list.  Like many people a current favourite often reflects the movies I've seen more recently. They could be new movies or old movies.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Print