Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My experience at this year's World Film Festival (Read 15,332 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

My experience at this year's World Film Festival
06. Sep 2004 at 23:30
Print Post  
In summary, then, here are the films I saw at the festival this year, ranked in order from favourite to least favourite:

1. Machuca, 10/10
2. Paths of Glory, 10/10 - no boy character
3. Dias de campo, 9/10 - no boy character
4. Dear Frankie, 9/10
5. Viper in the Fist, 8/10
6. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, 8/10 - no boy character
7. Cold Light, 8/10
8. Gas Bar Blues, 7/10
9. The Story of Adèle H, 7/10 - no major boy character
10. Edelweiss Pirates, 6/10
11. Sugar Orange, 5/10
12. Beat the Drum, 5/10
13. Paper Doves, 4/10
14. The Crying Wind, 4/10
15. Fellini Roma, 3/10 - no major boy character
16. The Best Thief in the World, 2/10

Most impressive performance by a boy actor: Jules Sitruk in Viper in the Fist

Favourite boy character: Frankie in Dear Frankie

Special award for best-looking boy actor: TIE: Ariel Mateluna in Machuca and Áslákur Ingvarsson in Cold Light (both boys also gave excellent performances)

Favourite moment of the festival: Shaking Jules Sitruk's hand after the screening of Viper in the Fist (special thanks to Zabladowski for urging me to overcome my shyness and go say hi to him)

And that was my experience at this year's festival. Overall, a much more satisfying than last year. I had a good time with Zab and saw some good movies. Already looking forward to next year.

Smiley

IP Logged

Elliott
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: My experience at this year's World Film Festiv
Reply #1 - 06. Sep 2004 at 23:40
Print Post  
Welcome back! :wavey:

IP Logged

Will
Bronze Member

Lurker at best

Reply #2 - 07. Sep 2004 at 00:34
Print Post  
I've wanted to see Dear Frankie for a while now! I'm so jealous! Sad

Sounds like you had fun though. I hope we get to see some of these (epecially Dear Frankie) make it to DVD, SOON!!!

--Will Smiley

The Dear Frankie boy...Jack McElhone
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Sir Jacob
Global Moderator

Big Daddy...The Message
Master.

Reply #3 - 07. Sep 2004 at 01:10
Print Post  
Thanks for the great list, josephk!  And, the "awards" you listed are a great idea.  I'm glad you had such a good time, and especially that you got to meet and shake hands with young Jules!   Grin

Love,
Sir J

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 07. Sep 2004 at 11:12
Print Post  
Machuca as good as 'Paths of Glory'...

..it MUST be a great film then.

That's a great mixture of movies Joseph... 

Glad you had a good time and I'm jealous that you got to meet Jules...   did you get to chat with him?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 07. Sep 2004 at 12:41
Print Post  
Quote:
did you get to chat with him?

Not really. There were a lot of people around him at first, both kids and adults, and I was trying to give away some tickets I had won for a movie that conflicted with my schedule. By the time I managed to do that, there weren't very many people left outside, but we had to get to our next screening at a different theatre.

I only shook his hand and told him (in French) that I liked the movie and was impressed with his performance in the film. He seemed like a nice kid. He is 14 years old but he's very small and looks much younger, in person as well as on screen.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #6 - 21. Aug 2005 at 19:43
Print Post  
It is almost september and I wonder if go to this film festival again.  I wish to go to film festival some day and I wish most go to cannes. 

Where do world film festival happen?

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #7 - 21. Aug 2005 at 20:14
Print Post  
Jasen,

The World Film Festival takes place in Montreal. Zabladovsky is coming again this year and since it's where I live, I will probably check out some films as well. However, I have a much busier schedule than last year, so I will definitely not see as many films this time. Probably not more than a handful.

Check out Zab's thread for highlights from this year's festival: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #8 - 21. Aug 2005 at 22:51
Print Post  
Thank you Joseph I didnt know is close to america. In Montreal it is Canada very close to america. 

You and Zabladowski both go to see movies at world film Festival.  I wish go some day too but not able for maybe couple years.  Do you ever go Cannes for film festival?  I wonder if any body allowed go to Cannes film festival or if got to be invited.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 23. Aug 2005 at 07:29
Print Post  
Jasen,

To go all the way to Cannes from where I live would cost a small fortune. I had hoped that one day I would be able to go but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. I sure  hope you get the opportunity... it looks like it would be a memorable experience.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #10 - 23. Aug 2005 at 21:34
Print Post  
You startled me by resurrecting this thread Jasen, I thought I had missed out on something this year.  Shocked

As joseph said, the World Film festival is in Montreal, but there are many film festivals all over the world, probably even near where you live. Although it is a bit of a journey for me, I have always enjoyed going to Montreal, but I also enjoy the other film festivals I attend, most of which are in the USA.

As far as I know, any person who is willing to buy a ticket can attend any festival, (even Cannes) but the films that are shown have to be invited. Some festivals limit some screenings to invited guests only, but I've never heard of a festival completely shutting out the public.

IP Logged

Jasen
Gold Member

Jasen

Reply #11 - 24. Aug 2005 at 03:32
Print Post  
It is good if not got to be invited to go to Cannes.  I only think about academy award and I know must be invite to go there.  But it not same as Cannes because academy award only give away trophy they do not got movies can watch.

I only talk about academy award because in movie review it always talk about who win oscar award and who win Cannes film award = palm d or.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #12 - 16. May 2006 at 09:29
Print Post  
Here's a better answer than originally posted and then deleted, about the festival in Cannes.

Yes you do have to be an invitée if you wish to participate in the palais and marche du films.

In order to see a film, many of them are available to the public but you'll have to stand in line for quite some time if you do not have a pass.  

You can gain a pass if you have credentials, and you can also obtain a daily pass if you can substantiate your reasons for being there.

Much of this is new information, as a person somewhat in the industry, but you can be a part of the festival as a citizen or onlooker.... and some films can be seen.  It's the first time in discovering that the general public cannot obtain/purchase tickets in advance to the films being shown at the festival.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print