Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005) (Read 4,370 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
12. Nov 2005 at 12:39
Print Post  

I enjoyed this very much. Keep in mind that I never saw the 1971 version, so I have nothing to compare it with. Anyhow, I loved this movie. I liked how they made Wonka creepy. I thought Freddie Highmore did a great job even though most of the time all he had to do was react to what was going on. Overall, I give this movie a b plus.
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:28 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

princesspetal

BA Member

Re: charile and the choclate factory
Reply #1 - 25. Nov 2005 at 14:44
Print Post  
I think this film was fabulous. I hated the old film and am so pleased a new one was made. Johnny Depp was superb as were all the kids in the film. Freddie Highmore was particularly brilliant, he is one of the best young actors of the moment.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: charile and the choclate factory
Reply #2 - 25. Nov 2005 at 14:57
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) is the link to the thread with an alternate spelling of the title...

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Reply #3 - 23. Feb 2015 at 23:45
Print Post  
Just clicked on the link in our film-database to find this review.  After seeing all the ratings of 9 and 10, it was literally a shock.

Now first of all, it must be said that Johnny Depp is a god in my country.  Almost to the degree of utter sickness.  For any female over the age of 40, it's Depardieu..... for anyone under the age of 40, it's Depp.

But back to the movie.  WHAT film did everyone see?  Yes Freddie Highmore was a delightful young actor, there's no doubt.  He could make any movie more enjoyable just by his presence and the fact that he's a very good actor.

However, this film...... from it's crooked and ridiculously unrealistic house...... to Depp's incredibly outlandish makeup...... and then they just had to "get with the 21st century" and add in Depp's poor-neglected-by-his-father twist into the story..... added to the loads and loads of unrealistic special effects...... and Depp overacted nearly every line, trying to make us believe his character.  It could have been the adult version Macauley Culkin under that hat.... it could have been anyone saying those lines, but somehow it was Johnny Depp.

Of course the 1971 version had a lot of gadgets and gizmos that were more imagination than real, but what that original film did was bring that imagination to life.  But this 2005 version, it left nothing to the imagination, nothing to truly believe..... it's a special effects nightmare remake.... ala "Planet of the Apes". 

Obviously, based on the ratings in our database, few if anyone will agree on any of this.  But when you take two incredibly talented actors, like Johnny Depp and Freddie Highmore..... adding in Helen Bonham Carter and Christopher Lee..... Tim Burton could have done so much better. 

----------------- Edit:  Considering that special effects is really what Tim Burton does, and not much more than that.... perhaps this is what people expected from the fillm.  Understandably, no one wants to see an exact remake of an older film, so some new twists might have been needed.  The biggest let-down in this film was Johnny Depp, really nothing more than that.  -----------------
« Last Edit: 24. Feb 2015 at 09:05 by nicolas »  

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005)
Reply #4 - 24. Feb 2015 at 09:28
Print Post  
Smiley I have in DVD the 2 versions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with this one with Peter OSTRUM and this one with Freddie HIGHMORE.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print