Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Read 5,988 times)
del bosque
Silver Member

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
07. Dec 2005 at 18:05
Print Post  
It seems a pity to let the new Harry film arrive without a mention.  I suppose it's because the boys are looking very mature now in the mid-teens, Rupert is 17 y o and Tom Felton is 18.  But it's a superb piece of film-making, very exciting and the set-pieces possibly improving on the book.  The middle task in which Harry has to swim the deeps of Hogwarts lake always seemed rather odd and possibly was an editorial invention because of J K Rowling's writer's block (it works much better in the film); and the Yule Ball is blissful cinema, don't think I've had a more enjoyable time since Hitchcock's Rear Window.
Curiously, Daniel Radcliffe looks a lot younger in his promotional interviews than he does in the film where - despite the efforts of the very dark lighting - he sometimes has an odd, roundfaced, turkey-neck appearance.  But Dan is cinema's last action hero, I love the fact that he has made the Harry Potter role his own:  nobody is going to take it away from him. He looks picture-perfect in the Yule Ball sequence, particularly when he sees Hermione descend the staircase and enter the room: what an entry !

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Reply #1 - 07. Dec 2005 at 18:29
Print Post  
Thanks for the review, Del Bosque. You certainly make it sound like it's worth the price of admission.

I do intend on going to see this film. I just didn't get around to it yet.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #2 - 07. Dec 2005 at 19:42
Print Post  
This is one of three movies I will see before the year is out, I've just been slacking lately.... Grin

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #3 - 07. Dec 2005 at 22:10
Print Post  
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing it myself.

I've been debating with myself whether to add a profile for this film to the database, but I decided not to break the guidelines.

There is of course absolutely no reason why this movie or any other can't be discussed on the forums.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 07. Dec 2005 at 23:37
Print Post  
Actually, right after posting my previous post, I decided to go see it. I asked my sister if she wanted to accompany me and she said yes. I just got back home a few minutes ago.

It was OK. I was never a huge fan of the series and haven't read any of the books. In terms of good filmmaking, I think the third episode was probably the most successful. I find at this point it's starting to get a little repetitive.

But it was fun.

There aren't really any significant boy actors in it anymore, so I don't imagine it will get a profile. I've given it a 6/10 on IMDb.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #5 - 18. Dec 2005 at 19:11
Print Post  
I finally got around to seeing this today. I came away most impressed with Hermione
(I am not an owl!  Grin).

The scenery and set designs were very well constructed. I would have liked more insight into the characters, I think only Neville and Cedric's characters received appropriate treatment in the script.

Hermione's entrance down the stairs at the ball was magical and memorable; the best sequence in the film for me.  8)

A brief mention of William Melling, who seems to have replaced Hugh Mitchell as the starstruck first year should get me back on topic.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Kira

BA Member

Reply #6 - 18. Dec 2005 at 22:45
Print Post  

I liked it but I liked the 3rd film more. I disliked that Malfoy wasn't in it much and I always thought Uncle Vernon was funny. I liked Hermione the best out of the three. She's grown the most I think as far as her acting goes. Looking back on them in SS they look so small and cute.

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 19. Dec 2005 at 05:30
Print Post  
Quote:
This is one of three movies I will see before the year is out, I've just been slacking lately.... Grin

Slacking off movies by doing work Zab?   Cheesy

I saw it Thanksgiving weekend and I was impressed.  It is true that Ron (Rupert) seems to be getting on in years the most and his character does seem to be taking on a slacker persona.  But, I thought the story was just right.  Many said this was darker and more eerie, but I would say this instillmet was not as much so as Azkaban was.  For the kids' ages, it had the right mix if high drama and comradery.

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 20. Dec 2005 at 22:18
Print Post  
Sadly MJ that is the case.

The upcoming holiday should allow me time to see a few last films before I make my list of favorites for the year.

Is the AFTI poll going to take place again this year?

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 21. Dec 2005 at 07:03
Print Post  
Quote:
Sadly MJ that is the case.

The upcoming holiday should allow me time to see a few last films before I make my list of favorites for the year.

Same story here.  My schedule wouldn't even permit me to see Zathura or YMO "05.  Sad

Quote:
Is the AFTI poll going to take place again this year?

Absolutely.  I just entered a few more names into the old database, and we will have an announcement ready right around New Year's weekend.  I encourage everyone here to vote, and I don't mean vote of the "early and often" variety.  Smiley

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Reply #10 - 23. Dec 2005 at 13:50
Print Post  
Funny how children see a different film to adults. I asked my 8 year old niece if she liked the new Harry Potter.  "Yes, especially the bit after the Ball where the boy is still dancing in his pyjamas around the bedroom, and thinks everyone else is asleep. That was so funny !"  The boy is Neville Longbottom and it was good to be reminded of how excellently filmed the whole Yule Ball sequence was: it could easily have been disastrous and yet I've a hunch it will be one of the most fondly remembered scenes in Potter cinema.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #11 - 23. Dec 2005 at 19:39
Print Post  
That scene was the sort of insight into the character that I thought was lacking overall in the film (though not in Neville's case).

I agree that the whole ball section of the film was very well done.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print