Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Choirboys land £500k record deal (Read 10,976 times)
Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Choirboys land £500k record deal
02. Sep 2005 at 12:47
Print Post  
A singing trio discovered in their school choirs have landed a £500,000 deal with Universal Classics.

More details here:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

80s_kid
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: Choirboys land £500k record deal
Reply #1 - 02. Sep 2005 at 13:29
Print Post  
Thanks for posting!  Smiley

YIM  
IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 06. Sep 2005 at 10:33
Print Post  
£500,000  ???

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

... and record companies are crying poor mouth because of internet downloads!

I didn't know there is such big money in that form of music to risk it on three virtually unknown boys...

They must be pretty good, what!!

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #3 - 20. Oct 2005 at 14:25
Print Post  
They're releasing their first single for Christmas - a cover of Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven.

More details here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 20. Oct 2005 at 20:12
Print Post  
I wonder if this is more of a European phenomenon.
I'm not aware that these types of acts are heavily promoted in the US and I wish they were.

By the way, Libera's new CD, Visions, was just released.  Smiley

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #5 - 21. Oct 2005 at 11:55
Print Post  
Quote:
I'm not aware that these types of acts are heavily promoted in the US and I wish they were.

I don't know I'd say that this sort of act is heavily promoted in the UK - I doubt many people in the UK have heard of Libera, unless they're into choir music, other than seeing them on Songs of Praise (which is somewhat of a niche show).

All I can think is the record companies are hoping they'll get another "Charlotte Church" or "Aled Jones" and if they throw enough money at these classical-pop acts, they're bound to strike gold eventually. (Declan Galbraith is another act who probably falls into this category, and after signing a £1million 3 record album deal has only released one album so far - and there's no sign of any more). Personally I think the record companies are misguided and I really don't think there's enough of a mainstream market for this sort of act to support £500,000 and £1million signings.

I could see this single doing well as a Christmas single, and wouldn't be surprised if it went to number 1 (depending of whether the recording is any good - and this isn't meant as any comment on their singing ability, which I'm sure is superb). But whether there's anything more than a niche classical market after that is open to question - unless they move away from classic music and into the pop market, but even then boy pop acts tend to be seen as something as a novelty act.

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 26. Oct 2005 at 04:18
Print Post  
according to jamie cullum - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) - the public has a mistaken perception of these large contracts :

from an interview in the london evening standard magazine - 21 october : `pianoforte` by annabel rivkin
_____
grand is slang for thousand.

...but a £1 million contract does not mean that the artist gets handed a cheque and patted on the head.

"a £1 million pound contract does not mean that the artist gets handed a cheque and patted on the head. a £1 million pound contract in reality is nothing", says jamie, not ungratefully.

"it's not enough....they've ended up spending more than £1 million on me which is why i've made no money at all. i've made about twenty grand from universal so far in my entire career, having sold nearly 2.7 million albums.

he goes on to say that most of his money is earned through gigs because of the higher profile that a mainstream television profile will bring.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #7 - 26. Oct 2005 at 11:24
Print Post  
I always suspected that record companies are rip-off merchants. 2.7 million albums nets a mere 20 grand. Very fish!

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 26. Oct 2005 at 17:29
Print Post  
Quote:
I always suspected that record companies are rip-off merchants. 2.7 million albums nets a mere 20 grand. Very fish!

It's so funny how the record industry has worked.  Few other professions in the world require you to pay for your own tools of work like RC's do.  They give you a contract, but in essence charge you for promoting your record and for studio time, etc.

MJ

IP Logged

Mediajock1
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 26. Oct 2005 at 17:32
Print Post  
Quote:

They're not.  Religion/spiritual music is a tough sell in the Stetes unless it is something cutting-edge like Switchfoot.

In addition, foi as young-skewing as our music scene prides itself on being, true representation of younger performers is at a near-all time low here.  We have it backwards here; nothing like Eurojuniors or Tokyo Hotel; the American music undustry targets solely teen audiences with 18-25 year old gangster rappers and pop divas. 

And then there's always the American Idol factor...barf.

Smiley
MJ

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #10 - 28. Nov 2005 at 13:19
Print Post  
Their CD was released today in the UK (Amazon.co.uk have it, and I'm sure other online retailers do as well...)

The track listing is as follows:
1. Ecce Homo (Theme From Mr Bean)
2. Tears In Heaven
3. Panis Angelicus
4. Do You Hear What I Hear (Feat. Hayley Westenra)
5. Walking In The Air
6. In Paradisum
7. The Lord Bless You
8. Pie Jesu
9. Danny Boy/Carrickfergus
10. The Lord Is My Shepherd (Theme From The Vicar Of Dibley)
11. He's Not Heavy
12. Corpus Christi Carol
13. O For The Wings
14. Agnus Dei
15. Let There Be Peace On Earth
16. Miserere

You can pick it up for a very reasonable £8.99 (plus shipping, which may or may not be free depending on where you want it shipping to...)

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #11 - 29. Nov 2005 at 05:39
Print Post  
Ecce Homo (Theme From Mr Bean)

... I think I'll have to check my Mr Bean DVDs, I can't remember what this one sounds like.

Most of the rest are very familiar. They are certainly taking the safe road though.

IP Logged

Quantum
BA Administrator

BA Member

Reply #12 - 29. Nov 2005 at 12:02
Print Post  
Quote:
Most of the rest are very familiar. They are certainly taking the safe road though.

That was my initial reaction... Anyway, my copy is in the mail, so I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives (although I have seen some good reviews for their version of Tears in Heaven).

IP Logged

apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #13 - 01. Dec 2005 at 06:23
Print Post  
i doubt if they'll reach number one in the uk.

i've hardly seen any publicity about them.

a top PR person (such as max clifford) charges aroung £15,000 a month to handle music celebs' media [negotiable upwards or downwards].

it'd be worth the expenditure when it leads to success.

i think they may be appearing in a seasonal itv service; the cutting doesn't make clear whether they're performing or just observing.

my tip for xmas number one slot?

i think that ultimately the british public is discerning and will want to pick a song of musical distinction.

my vote - an ovine rendition of `jingle bells`

marvellous!

A FLOCK of real singing sheep from the Lake District are taking on the Crazy Frog this Christmas in the battle to become the novelty song of 2005.

The Crazy Frog’s Christmas single - Jingle Bells - gets its first airplay on Thursday December 1 and is widely tipped to become Christmas number one.

But the “Baarmy Sheep” of the Lake District are launching a pre-emptive strike by releasing a free version of Jingle Bells the day before on Wednesday, November 30.

The single and a hilarious sheep pop video can be downloaded free from the website of Cumbria Tourist Board at

There’s also a Baarmy Sheep Christmas megamix featuring their rendition of Good King Wencelas, Hark The Herald Angels Sing and While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks By Night!!

Eric Robson, chairman of Cumbria Tourist Board, said: “Christmas may be the season of goodwill to all men – but not Crazy Frog’s!

“Visitors from all over the world love the Lake District and our sheep on the snow-covered mountains at this time of year, so we’re confident people will prefer our version.”

“Who knows, a winter break in the Lake District might be the only place to escape the Crazy Frog and the general stress of Christmas this year.”

The Baarmy Sheep version of Jingle Bells and the video was launched at the 17th century Yew Tree Farm, Coniston

The Baarmy Sheep first took on the Crazy Frog in June when they released a sheep ringtone Jerusalem - in response to the animated cartoon’s growing domination of television, airwaves and mobile phones.

To see the real Baarmy Sheep perform live this winter come to Cumbria - The Lake District! With our snow-covered mountains, award-winning accommodation, family friendly attractions and superb places to eat and drink, it's a great place to spend Christmas and the winter months. To find out more about breaks in this area click on "stay" at the bottom of the page to choose where you want to take a break.

fan letters to : baarmysheep@golakes.co.uk

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #14 - 02. Dec 2005 at 02:07
Print Post  
I bet the barmy sheep hit number one in New Zealand, a land where sheep are the ultimate 'sexy thing'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print