Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Jet Boy (2001) (Read 16,177 times)
Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Jet Boy (2001)
01. Jan 2006 at 05:29
Print Post  

*********SPOILERS FOLLOW************

Jet Boy deals with some very sensitive subjects. It does so with skillful honesty and without falling into stereotypes and melodramatic depictions. It is a real-life drama that convinces with its sincere authenticity and the profound quality of the interaction between the two leading characters.

The movie is set in Canada and shot in Vancouver, B.C., Calgary and Linden, Alberta, and the road between. It can be qualified as a road movie and as a drama focusing on characters influenced by their cultural milieu and by each other. The movie has a simple story and is still complex in its plot development as well as in the pace of plot revelations. The audience never stops learning about the two main characters, their individual stories and their background, which provides the movie with tremendous quality and causes curiosity that makes the audience dive into the story and stay alert.

The main protagonist is Nathan, played by newcomer Branden Nadon. We are introduced to him as he sells his body on his 14th birthday. These very subtle scenes at the beginning make us aware of how desperate this young boy is. He is a hustler, but still a child. We get a very good impression of his life – a bleak, exploited life without much room for dreams and no way out. Then we are introduced to his family. He has no father and his mother is a drug addict. She dies right at the beginning due to an overdose, which leaves Nathan orphaned and totally isolated.

The second main character is a rough and mysterious man named Boon Palmer (played by Dylan Walsh), a man we do not know anything about. Apparently he has a questionable past as some kind of criminal. All we know is that he is up to something and violent if challenged.

Nathan is on the road, running away from the social services that would take him in, heading towards Vancouver, when he encounters Boon in a road pub. He associates with him and manages to make the taciturn man give him a ride to the city. On their way they stop in a motel in a small town, where Boon grew up and where he has to settle something. It becomes clear from the very beginning of their traveling companionship that Nathan sees much more than a temporary ride in Boon, but pins all his hopes on him. He does everything to please the man, makes their breakfast and – as some subtle hints reveal – would not mind sleeping in the same bed with him.

Once in the small town, we find out some interesting bits and pieces about Boon's past, about his imperious father, about his old flame and his life twenty years ago. We still do not know who Boon is today, but we get a clearer idea of his roots and find out that he is indeed a rather likable person, which we could not expect right from the beginning. The growing relationship between Boon and Nathan is characterized by frictions, but still slowly growing in depth. Boon renews a sexual affair with his old flame while Nathan associates with some local lads.

The movie's climax is emotionally stirring and intriguingly played by the two leading characters. Nathan breaks away as Boon neglects his love and his yearning for paternal appreciation. Boon has to finish his job in Vancouver, and there he sees how Nathan offers himself to a client. He follows them and rushes into the hotel room as Nathan is about to be sexually harassed. Boon hugs Nathan, and the emotional turmoil makes the boy break down and cry. As they leave the hotel, we find out that Boon is in fact an undercover cop – something we did not know throughout the entire movie. They drive back to the small town, as it seems happily united.

This last aspect is probably slightly, just slightly overdone and a bit corny. The rest of the movie is profoundly authentic and smashing in its sincere character portrayal of a strange man and a young hustler who help each other out of their bleak lives. These two characters carry complex problems and their interaction makes up the emotional thrill of the whole production. The soundtrack is flawless and the camera work lives up to the decisive moments. The other characters are fairly flat, but this is okay here, as the two protagonists carry the burden and define the pace and the quality of the plot development.

I give Jet Boy a 9 because it handles a very sensitive issue – child prostitution – frankly and without corny stereotypes. It furthermore delivers a fine character portrayal and focuses on a very strong father-son aspect, set in a cultural stratum in which hope and trust are hard to find and even harder to maintain. The two leading actors are just brilliant, and thus Jet Boy is an authentic Canadian movie, a wonderful portrayal of genuine human struggles.
« Last Edit: 07. Jul 2008 at 06:07 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Jet Boy (2001)
Reply #1 - 01. Jan 2006 at 11:38
Print Post  
I agree with every word, Andreas.

It is a shame that this film was not more widely distributed, as evidenced by the fact that you and I are the only ones to have rated it thus far.

I hope you don't mind that I added the spoiler warning as some people would not like to be told of the ending; now they have been warned.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #2 - 01. Jan 2006 at 16:10
Print Post  
Here are some pics & stuff...

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: 10. Feb 2009 at 22:23 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #3 - 02. Jan 2006 at 03:11
Print Post  
Thanks for the review. I am very anxious to see this one if ever I get the chance.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #4 - 06. Jan 2009 at 12:26
Print Post  
Yes, if you get the chance to see this movie you would be well served in doing so. It is well worth the effort to obtain this movie for your collection. I got my copy off of the Internet and converted it to NTSC format and burned it to DVD. Whatever works I guess.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #5 - 10. Jan 2009 at 09:29
Print Post  
I just recently found this movie on Amazon.com. So the DVD is available for anyone who wants it now. Shocked

IP Logged

K
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 11. Jan 2009 at 06:24
Print Post  
Phenom wrote on 10. Jan 2009 at 09:29:
I just recently found this movie on Amazon.com. So the DVD is available for anyone who wants it now. Shocked

I hope you will order it and view it and then let us know the quality of the DVD transfer. Here's what Amazon.com says:

"This product is manufactured on demand using DVD-R recordable media. Amazon.com's standard return policy will apply."

This makes me wonder how good the quality of the picture will be. Let us know.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #7 - 12. Jan 2009 at 13:07
Print Post  
I got it the other day and watched it. Excellent quality! At least I enjoyed it.  Smiley

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #8 - 12. Jan 2009 at 16:34
Print Post  
Thanks, that's good news. I ordered a copy from Amazon also. (along with a copy of Return to Innocence, which Netflix now lists as 'not available.')

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #9 - 13. Jan 2009 at 08:03
Print Post  
Haha. That's exactly the combination that I ordered last week. I recieved both quickly as usual.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #10 - 18. Jan 2009 at 01:53
Print Post  
YoungArthur wrote on 12. Jan 2009 at 16:34:
Thanks, that's good news. I ordered a copy from Amazon also. (along with a copy of Return to Innocence, which Netflix now lists as 'not available.')  

Did you get your copy yet? If so, did you like it?

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #11 - 19. Jan 2009 at 23:25
Print Post  
Yes, I would like to know too... seems to be a very mixed panel on "Return to Innocence" according to the ratings on this site.  The BA review (referred to in the ratings) doesn't seem to exist anymore, so...

Is it "not available" because of the perception of the topic, because it's not requested enough, or because it's too "graphic" or just not fitting in with today's "view" on this topic?

Inquiring minds want to know.  Thanks!

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #12 - 19. Jan 2009 at 23:32
Print Post  
It's a low budget film. Not widely distributed and poorly acted. It isn't visually graphic at all. The story isn't bad though. With more cash and better talent (I guess that goes back to more cash) it would have been a better film. I think the lack of availability comes from it's low budget roots i.e. once the original run of dvds are sold, they aren't likely to make another pressing.

P.S. The BA Review link has been restored to the Return to Innocence profile.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #13 - 23. Jan 2009 at 02:57
Print Post  
I concur with Zabladowski. However, I just didn't like "Return To Innocense" basically because of the subject matter that we are all to familiar with and I just don't find watching pedophile witchhunts and trials very entertaining in general. It just depressed the hell out of me and would still have done so even if it was packed with beautiful boys.

On the other hand I love Jet Boy and I now am the proud owner of a sweet copy of it.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #14 - 27. Jan 2009 at 06:46
Print Post  
thanks for the reviews... and I agree.  I'm not much for the witch hunts either.  Thanks again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print