Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Cure, The (1995) (Read 8,628 times)
Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Cure, The (1995)
01. Jan 2006 at 05:30
Print Post  

The Cure is an outstanding real-life drama that deals with a very sensitive subject. It is the story of the profound and dear friendship between two boys, Eric and Dexter. The latter has acquired AIDS from a blood transfusion. Thus he and his mom (Annabella Sciorra) have become outcasts, shunned by the public and labeled as dangerous company, basically due to a common lack of public knowledge of the disease.

When Eric (Brad Renfro, known from 'The Client' and 'Apt Pupil') and his mom move into the house next to them, he has to deal with public insults and the fear of catching AIDS himself. However, Eric overcomes his fear and risks everything. At first he starts talking to Dexter, but eventually he climbs over the fence and joins the witty boy (played by Jurassic Park's Joseph Mazzello) and his games. Very quickly he develops a real friendship with Dexter, who is delicately built and frail due to his condition.

The central theme of the movie – the theme which makes it pervasively authentic and tragic at the same time – is how Eric and Dexter try to find the ultimate cure. At first they experiment with all kinds of plants and leaves – which is very naive, but also genuine at the same time, as it shows how young kids deal with such heinous diseases and how strongly they still believe in the magic of the world. When they hear about an alleged cure which has been developed in the South, they do not hesitate and take off for an adventure that will bring them even closer together and symbolizes the ultimate quest for hope.

So they board a raft and head southwards on the Mississippi River. What starts as a real adventure becomes a dangerous undertaking, which is emotionally intriguing and instructive at the same time. The scene when Dexter reveals his fears and talks about the end of the universe, where everything is dark and cold, Eric hands him his sneaker, a symbol that wherever the boy may have to go, Eric is and will always be with him; he will never have to be alone. This sequence, which is one of the most compelling ones of the movie, features a very convincing interaction between the two actors, who manage to avoid awkward and corny dialogs and deliver a very genuine performance that is eventually smashing in its tenderness and honesty.

I will not go any further in outlining the plot, as I do not intend to give away too much information. The ending however is emotionally tough and makes the audience so much a part of the tragedy that everyone who watches the movie will feel personally affected. This aspect makes this movie so strong, so outstanding and so convincing. The emotional burden on every character is so real and so thrashing that even the tougher members of the audience might need some hankies.

A 10 is doing justice to this movie and is not too high a rating. There is hardly any other movie I have seen in my life so far that handles such an emotional issue with so much wit and sensibility. It is the story of how two boys make each other's life richer and how they teach each other lessons of life. Thus Dexter overcomes his isolation and sadness, and Eric learns what really counts in life; and both of them realize how much of a gift real friendship is when it comes to the hardest moments of life.

This movie is tragic – but its message is sheer inspiration.
« Last Edit: 04. Jul 2008 at 17:46 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

bardok
Bronze Member

BA Member

Re: The Cure (1995)
Reply #1 - 01. Jan 2006 at 12:40
Print Post  
Very good review, Andreas_n, it makes me desirous to see this movie as soon as possible.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #2 - 02. Jan 2006 at 02:54
Print Post  
Wonderful review. You have said everything I have felt about it. It remains one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.

IP Logged

gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #3 - 09. Jan 2006 at 10:32
Print Post  
i love this movie too joseph mazello is good as always. brad refrno was i diliked in other roles was quite good. aslo.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Cure, The (1995)
Reply #4 - 22. May 2010 at 15:49
Print Post  
SmileyI have the DVD of this movie what I seen some days. I very much liked this story of Dexter, child to be suffering from AIDS with Eric, his friend and protextor. The play of Joseph MAZELLO and Brad RENFRO is very much credible and moving. This movie is infortunely unknow in France but I may to have the DVD in Germany. Very good movie !

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 31. May 2010 at 16:27
Print Post  
This movie is such a classic and popular film among fans of boy actors. It's surprising that it took me this long to get around to it. I finally saw it back in November last year. The reason I never rushed to see it in the first place is that I knew I wouldn't be a big fan of it, despite it starring two of my favourite boy actors from the 1990s. It's the kind of sentimental story that doesn't really appeal to me and I was afraid this would feel like a cheap made-for-TV movie.

It's better than that, but not by much. I gave it a 6 on the strength of the two lead performances and the young actors' appeal. Though I'm not a huge fan of the movie, I still consider it a must-see for any self-respecting boy actor enthusiast. Smiley

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #6 - 31. May 2010 at 16:49
Print Post  
SmileyThis movie is never released in France. I'm found the DVD in Germany and only  in german language but I liked the play of Joseph MAZELLO and Brad RENFRO really excellents in there parts !

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 01. Feb 2013 at 20:58
Print Post  
'The Cure' definitely rates as one of the top boy films dealing as it does with an evolving friendship between two boys not often come across in cinema. The performances of both boys are of equal merit in their roles as Erik (Brad Renfro) the tough kid next door and Dexter (Joseph Mazzello) the frail but intelligent boy stricken with Aids. The story is heartbreakingly wonderful and could have easily descended into mawkish sentimentality which it manages to avoid throughout save, possibly, the hospital scenes.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 01. Feb 2013 at 21:08
Print Post  
Smiley My movie rating of this very good movie is 9/10 !

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #9 - 01. Feb 2013 at 21:37
Print Post  
I have this film in my que, can't wait to see it   Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08. Feb 2013 at 15:01
Print Post  
I'm 51, I remember when A.I.D.S. first became known to the American public back in the early 1980's, Everyone was scared of catching it, before it was known that it can ONLY be transmitted through intimate contact. For me, this movie truly captures the stigma that initially surrounded this terrible disease. I was moved by the performance of both Brad and Joseph!

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #11 - 13. Feb 2013 at 05:34
Print Post  
this was a powerful film that will always sit on my "best of" lists... if I ever make one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print