Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Shattered Family (1993) (Read 8,026 times)
Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Shattered Family (1993)
01. Jan 2006 at 05:32
Print Post  

There was one boy who made a stand and fought for nothing but a place to be. His unprecedented courage stirred public conscience and paved the way for children's rights. Rights - unalienable rights, as they are held self-evident by the Declaration of Independence - that include the Pursuit of Happinesss for every citizen of the United States - even for minors. This boy was in the midst of a legal case that altered the understanding of parental rights and parents' responsibility towards their children. This boy made it clear that all you need is courage and steadfastness, which he – badly enough – gained from years of suffering and years of neglect; from years of being abandoned and deceived by his natural parents.

This boy is known as Gregory Kingsley. This is his story.

This adaptation focuses much more on Gregory's new family and how he manages to become a part of it, while following the same pattern as 'Switching Parents' aka 'Gregory K' with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Here Tom Guiry plays Gregory, and he does so with outstanding sincerity and genuine charm that makes his screen debut a brilliant success.

Here the story starts right with George Russ running into Gregory at the "Boys' Ranch". Thus nothing substantial about the boy's previous story with his natural parents is introduced as it is in 'Switching Parents', which makes it clear that this movie differs from the other adaptation of Gregory's quest. It does not take long, and Mr. Russ (veteran Richard Crenna) decides to take Gregory into his family. The movie then elaborates on Gregory's development within the Russ family, how he manages to deal with the eight other kids he is now living together with and how the family as a whole reacts to him as a new member.

Whereas the strength of 'Switching Parents' lies embedded in the emotional conflict between Gregory and his mother, 'Shattered Family' gains its quality from a more convincing portrayal of how Gregory integrates into his new environment, how he gets along with his new siblings, how he deals with these arising challenges and how they family itself responds to him. These aspects are so strongly and genuinely implemented due to a stronger storyline as in 'Switching Parents' and above all, a stronger, more convincing and experienced cast. Richard Crenna is just the perfect head of the Russ clan, rugged and sensitive at the same time. Cyril O'Reilly is also much more credible than the comical and awkward Robert Joy. On the other hand I would say that Kathleen York is a better Rachel Kingsley in 'Switching Parents' than Joycelyn O'Brien in here, mainly due to a stronger mother-son conflict and as she basically has a more substantial and credible appearance.

A comparison of the two young actors Tom Guiry and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is very difficult. They both have tremendous talent and give outstanding performances in these movies. Both manage to carry the emotional burden with genuine charm and natural skills. Still, if I had to decide, I would say Joseph Gordon-Levitt has done slightly better. He manages to say so much with subtle facial expressions; he seems to have such a strong personality that makes him perfectly fit into the role of Gregory Kingsley. Tom Guiry then again caught my heart with his genuine performance, which he delivered in a way which is typical for newcomers; he never appears to be "working hard to act", he rather seems to evoke a kind of natural relation to him as a character among the audience, due to his uncomplicated manner and unconventional honesty that pervades his acting.

I give this movie a 9 because I was personally attached to the story and stunned by the sensibility of the cast when it comes to handling the emotionally exposing scenes. Furthermore the movie manages to emotionally address an issue of profound importance. It is the issue of whether parental rights are unalienable or not. It is the issue of which rights minors are entitled to, the issue if they ought to have the possibility of deciding for themselves where to live, so that they can be happy. All these aspects are wonderfully transformed and brilliantly visualized and treated by the cast.

Just as Gregory says, in both movies: "I'm doing this for me – so that I can be happy."

This is what he is fighting for – but it is also the origin of this movie's dramatic and emotional quality.
« Last Edit: 29. Jun 2008 at 18:13 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Re: Shattered Family (1993)
Reply #1 - 21. Oct 2014 at 12:56
Print Post  
Andreas_N wrote on 01. Jan 2006 at 05:32:
There was one boy who made a stand and fought for nothing but a place to be. His unprecedented courage stirred public conscience and paved the way for children's rights. Rights - unalienable rights, as they are held self-evident by the Declaration of Independence - that include the Pursuit of Happinesss for every citizen of the United States - even for minors. This boy was in the midst of a legal case that altered the understanding of parental rights and parents' responsibility towards their children. This boy made it clear that all you need is courage and steadfastness, which he – badly enough – gained from years of suffering and years of neglect; from years of being abandoned and deceived by his natural parents.

This boy is known as Gregory Kingsley. This is his story.

This adaptation focuses much more on Gregory's new family and how he manages to become a part of it, while following the same pattern as 'Switching Parents' aka 'Gregory K' with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. Here Tom Guiry plays Gregory, and he does so with outstanding sincerity and genuine charm that makes his screen debut a brilliant success.

Here the story starts right with George Russ running into Gregory at the "Boys' Ranch". Thus nothing substantial about the boy's previous story with his natural parents is introduced as it is in 'Switching Parents', which makes it clear that this movie differs from the other adaptation of Gregory's quest. It does not take long, and Mr. Russ (veteran Richard Crenna) decides to take Gregory into his family. The movie then elaborates on Gregory's development within the Russ family, how he manages to deal with the eight other kids he is now living together with and how the family as a whole reacts to him as a new member.

Whereas the strength of 'Switching Parents' lies embedded in the emotional conflict between Gregory and his mother, 'Shattered Family' gains its quality from a more convincing portrayal of how Gregory integrates into his new environment, how he gets along with his new siblings, how he deals with these arising challenges and how they family itself responds to him. These aspects are so strongly and genuinely implemented due to a stronger storyline as in 'Switching Parents' and above all, a stronger, more convincing and experienced cast. Richard Crenna is just the perfect head of the Russ clan, rugged and sensitive at the same time. Cyril O'Reilly is also much more credible than the comical and awkward Robert Joy. On the other hand I would say that Kathleen York is a better Rachel Kingsley in 'Switching Parents' than Joycelyn O'Brien in here, mainly due to a stronger mother-son conflict and as she basically has a more substantial and credible appearance.

A comparison of the two young actors Tom Guiry and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is very difficult. They both have tremendous talent and give outstanding performances in these movies. Both manage to carry the emotional burden with genuine charm and natural skills. Still, if I had to decide, I would say Joseph Gordon-Levitt has done slightly better. He manages to say so much with subtle facial expressions; he seems to have such a strong personality that makes him perfectly fit into the role of Gregory Kingsley. Tom Guiry then again caught my heart with his genuine performance, which he delivered in a way which is typical for newcomers; he never appears to be "working hard to act", he rather seems to evoke a kind of natural relation to him as a character among the audience, due to his uncomplicated manner and unconventional honesty that pervades his acting.

I give this movie a 9 because I was personally attached to the story and stunned by the sensibility of the cast when it comes to handling the emotionally exposing scenes. Furthermore the movie manages to emotionally address an issue of profound importance. It is the issue of whether parental rights are unalienable or not. It is the issue of which rights minors are entitled to, the issue if they ought to have the possibility of deciding for themselves where to live, so that they can be happy. All these aspects are wonderfully transformed and brilliantly visualized and treated by the cast.

Just as Gregory says, in both movies: "I'm doing this for me – so that I can be happy."

This is what he is fighting for – but it is also the origin of this movie's dramatic and emotional quality.

Wow! I think that's one THE best reviews I've ever read! Smiley

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 21. Oct 2014 at 13:27
Print Post  
I've seen both movies and this one is my favorite, I think Tom made a big splash with his Debut! He gave the kind of performance that was memorable! a great way to start a career! I was also introduced to Levitt with the premier of the other movie, I liked Levitt at the time, but had since grown a distaste for him, which I won't go into here, but I stopped following his career. I have to agree with Andreas_N that Levitt had wonderful facial expression and deliver a remarkable performance, but if I had to choose, Tom would get my vote! besides, Richard Crenna did a MUCH better job as the Adoptive Dad!

This movie also co-starred another wonderful boy actor! David Tom! I believe it was the last movie he appeared in as a child actor! and has had a decent adult career since! mostly doing guest appearances on tv shows. Also not to forget Chris Carrara, a very charming boy, I loved his facial expressions, especially when the boys were in the tent in the back yard, when he stated what he wanted to be, I thought he had the cutest smile! But that scene made me think about Shawn, the other two Brothers had lead an almost pampered life, compared to what Shawn (Gregory K) went through, after the two other Brothers had stated what they wanted to be, Shawn said all he wanted was "A Place To Be"!

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #3 - 21. Oct 2014 at 15:29
Print Post  
I've added them both to my que

Thanks for bumping this thread

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 22. Oct 2014 at 14:18
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 21. Oct 2014 at 15:29:

Thanks for bumping this thread

Your very welcome B! This story is very near and dear to my heart!

The story of Shawn Russ was a big deal in the news at the time! I think people like his Natural Parents should never be allowed to have kids, The Mom only wanted them as a source of welfare! That was obvious, she went on the Phil Donahue show and talked about how SHE was being SO mistreated, by Shawn and the Adoptive Parents! It was that court case that set a Precedent that Parental Rights are NOT inalienable, and that children do have the right be happy and to change there situation if they're being mistreated or abused!

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 22. Oct 2014 at 14:20
Print Post  

BTW, is that your Netflix Queue?! Cheesy

IP Logged

bowser
Platinum Member

Woof! Woof!

Reply #6 - 22. Oct 2014 at 21:35
Print Post  
Quote:

BTW, is that your Netflix Queue?! Cheesy

No, not my Netflix Queue

These have been added to my Search Queue.  I'm still looking for copies.

Cheesy

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 23. Oct 2014 at 07:28
Print Post  
bowser wrote on 22. Oct 2014 at 21:35:
No, not my Netflix Queue

These have been added to my Search Queue.  I'm still looking for copies.

Ok, I've checked stagevu and YT to no avail! I just don't trust torrent sites, they are usually infested with bugs! so stagevu and YT are the only ones I even check for myself, I have noticed that at stagevu, if I keep searching a title, it's like someone there is notices how many search hits for a particular title and eventually posts it! so I'll keep searching these title at stagevu and maybe it'll happen!

IP Logged

Cinefan
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #8 - 24. Oct 2014 at 21:21
Print Post  
If I want a movie I go and buy the DVD and none of this Netflix tech babble which probably uses up millions of megabytes anyway. I have the DVD of 'Shattered Family' with Tom Guiry and he is great in the part. It is also memorable in being a film about a brave boy who stands up for himself.
Oh dear, it seems our Tom had besmirched his reputation recently by being arrested at an airport for being too drunk to fly and assaulting a police officer.   Shocked

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 24. Oct 2014 at 21:46
Print Post  
Cinefan wrote on 24. Oct 2014 at 21:21:
If I want a movie I go and buy the DVD and none of this Netflix tech babble which probably uses up millions of megabytes anyway. I have the DVD of 'Shattered Family' with Tom Guiry and he is great in the part. It is also memorable in being a film about a brave boy who stands up for himself.
Oh dear, it seems our Tom had besmirched his reputation recently by being arrested at an airport for being too drunk to fly and assaulting a police officer.   

Thank you but I'll stay with Netflix, It's what I can afford, besides to collect the hard disk DVDs would  take up a lot of room I don't have!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print