Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Little Lord Fauntleroy (1980) (Read 7,107 times)
Andreas_N
Gold Member

BA Member

Little Lord Fauntleroy (1980)
01. Jan 2006 at 05:42
Print Post  
This adaptation of F.H. Burnett's novel features a very convincing Alec Guinness and manages to deliver the story in a very decent manner.

Ricky Schroder was at the beginning of his "child star" period. His part in the movie is a bit overdone to my mind, but this might be due to the story and is probably done deliberately.

I particularly liked the camera work. The wonderful British countryside was stunningly captured. This serves as a means of illustrating the strong contrast between the boy's urbanized life in New York and the rural dwellings in England. The audience is presented not only with picturesque images but also authentic depictions of how the poor peasants had to live in those days. This was conveyed as adequately as it was possible for a low budget production like this.

The story is interesting and nicely staged, but again, maybe a bit overdone occasionally. This makes the movie a story for children rather than adults. The changes Alec Guinness goes through could have been presented in a more credible manner - he sheds his aristocratic rigor and austerity too quickly. Ricky Schroder again seems totally unaware of his grandfather's real character and is apparently living in a kind of ideal world he creates with his childish naivety. Again - this aspect and the interaction between the characters based on this premise is slightly surreal.

The strengths of the movie are the messages and the exciting quest of Little Lord Fauntleroy to settle in to his aristocratic life - which he does in a very straightforward manner and with disarming charm.

It is basically a very solid movie with a clear message: We need to look at things unbiasedly and make us aware that we can change the world for the good of all if we just make an effort. The movie does not aim at lofty commercial objectives but stays true to the novel and thus gives a considerably decent account of how even the most old-established system can change if you admit fresh air.

Sometimes all it needs is a little fair-haired boy from Hester Street, NY.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Little Lord Fauntleroy (1980)
Reply #1 - 01. Jan 2006 at 11:34
Print Post  
There have been many adaptations of this story. I have tried to see as many as I can.

Although I like this version, my favorite version is still the first sound production starring Freddie Bartholomew.

Side note; the 1995 BBC version comes out on R1 DVD on January 24th.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Re: Little Lord Fauntleroy (1980)
Reply #2 - 05. May 2006 at 05:22
Print Post  
Ricky Schroder was such a talented young actor, just as Freddie Bartholomew was in the 1930's version of this film.

There are scenes in the 1980 release that make it more appealing than the early sound production, and perhaps the '95 BBC version would be worth a look as well.

An interesting note on the imdb board regarding this 1980 release of "Little Lord Fauntleroy", starring Ricky Schroder....

The film has become a Christmas classic on German TV; it is shown (almost) every year and attracts millions of viewers every time.

This doesn't seem like much of a holiday film, therefore becoming a German Christmas classic is a bit of a mystery.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print