Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic HELP needed  jpeg---->>>jpg??? (Read 2,596 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

HELP needed  jpeg---->>>jpg???
20. Jan 2006 at 02:50
Print Post  
I'm asking for a little technical help here.

My computer has recently started saving all jpeg images with a .jpeg extension instead of a .jpg extension. Apart from renaming every individual extension I can't figure out how to get it to go back and save images with .jpg as it always used to do.

If anyone has had a similiar problem and solved it please let me know the solution.   ???
« Last Edit: 20. Jan 2006 at 06:44 by cal-Q-L8 »  

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: HELP needed  jpeg---->>>jpg???
Reply #1 - 20. Jan 2006 at 21:19
Print Post  
This happened to me to at one point while I was using Windows XP. I never figured out how to fix it. Sorry.

IP Logged

Lite
Platinum Member

AKA Teddy Bear

Reply #2 - 21. Jan 2006 at 07:06
Print Post  
which program does the offence occur?

and have you tried the ultimate reinstall?

or do you have a restore point from before the offences started happening? if so you could go back to that restore point.

IP Logged

drewski
Bronze Member

BA Member

Stupid Windows Problems
Reply #3 - 22. Jan 2006 at 10:17
Print Post  
I say the best cure for stupid Windows-related problems is to get a real operating system: LINUX! (It's worth mentioning that most standard Linux installations include the GIMP which is free and every bit as powerful as Photoshop!)

I'm sure you're aware of this, but just a quick note of caution about jpg images:

The JPG format is said to be a "lossy" format because every time you work with images saved in this format you lose resolution. It's best to save and work with images in a "lossless" format such as .png and then when making the files available via the web to convert them into .JPGs. The advantage of JPGs is smaller file size due to the efficient compression algorithm used... but for every advantage there is usually a corresponding disadvantage... in this case loss of resolution.

IP Logged

Rembrandt
Gold Member

BA Member

Reply #4 - 26. Jan 2006 at 22:56
Print Post  
Back to the subject, I agree with Teddy Bear that going back to a previous restore point can correct the problem. I frequent the Microsoft Newsgroups and this is a common question that is asked. I have found that many times a person deleted a photo editing program and it took the JPG file type out of the Registry when it asked “do you want to remove all shared components” and the person clicked yes. All of the answers from Microsoft personnel come down to two main answers: restore point or re-install Windows to correct the errors that were created by some program. Look in your browsers settings and look at the file types. See if JPG is still listed in there first. If it is, then try to associate it to a photo editing program, Windows Photo editing program or Windows Picture and Fax viewer. If it will not open, then it has major problems with the registry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print