Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Oliver Twist 1922 (Read 1,989 times)
gee
Platinum Member

BA Member

Oliver Twist 1922
06. Mar 2006 at 10:39
Print Post  
this is a silent version starring  Jackie Coogan as oliver. I liked it i have not see all that many silent movies so i find them intresting.  coogan does a  good  job as oliver he is so adorable you just want to reach thru the screen and hug him.  according to imdb.com he was born in 1914. my question is how old was he weh he made this he looks really small.
Lon Chaney plays fagin but he is not much of a devolped chracter here. one of the best scenes form  the novel is missing her that is when oliver spies fagins box of pretty things thisi sin almost every other version. actully for a movie that is only 70 mins long they actaclly got in alot that other version ingnore such as  the monks and Rose Maylie chracters.  they used much less boys to play fagins gang there are only three of them and they look like they are about 18. overall this was pretty good sure there are  better version but this can be best view today asa curio piece.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Oliver Twist 1922
Reply #1 - 16. Mar 2006 at 23:50
Print Post  
I've only seen Jackie Coogan in 'The Kid' which was made a year earlier than this movie. He would have been 7 years old in 'Oliver Twist' and he probably could have passed as a five year old. He was an extraordinarily cute little tyke with a wonderfully expressive face.  I assume you found a DVD of this movie. How wonderful that such oldies are becoming available.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Re: Oliver Twist 1922
Reply #2 - 17. Apr 2006 at 08:35
Print Post  
Three Coogan films that would be great to see, are "The Rag Man", "Little Robinson Crusoe", and "Daddy".

The still-photos from "Daddy" are obviously delightful scenes.
« Last Edit: 03. May 2006 at 20:46 by nicolas »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print