Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Jack (2004) (Read 4,708 times)
cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Jack (2004)
12. Oct 2004 at 09:27
Print Post  

Just finished watching this movie and even though the boys are over 15 I think it's worth a mention.

One day 15 year old Jack's father moves out of the family home. Weeks later Jack is informed by his father that he moved out to live with his male lover. The story then shows how Jack gradually learns to accept his dad for who he is.

A subplot of the movie concerns Jack's best friend Max and the sudden realisation that Max's father is a wife beater.

Anton Yelchin plays Jack in a rather low key manner which is actually quite effective. His best friend Max, is played by Giacomo Baessato, while Ryan Drescher is Max's younger brother.

It's a movie I'd recommend to all BA members. A mature script, well acted and directed with a few nicely placed lines of droll wit.  9/10

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

« Last Edit: 08. Jul 2008 at 05:14 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Jack (2003)
Reply #1 - 14. Oct 2004 at 20:20
Print Post  
I've never heard of this cal, but I note with interest that the story was written by A.M. Homes who was responsible for The Safety of Objects which I want to see and Wanted which I have seen and enjoyed.

I hope it gets a video release sooner or later.

IP Logged

del bosque
Silver Member

Re: Jack (2003)
Reply #2 - 16. Oct 2004 at 18:42
Print Post  
The novel this movie was taken from is highly recommended (the UK paperback had a wonderful, boy-centric cover).  Its hidden thesis, as I recall, is that the boy Jack has been let down by his baby-boomer parents who were 1960s liberals, never able to grow into mature adults and Jack is the most mature person in the splintered family triangle.  I sometimes feel I must have seen every stunning variety of a boy's smile but time and again one pops up to startle me out of that complacency: red-headed Giacomo is a piece of work, indeed !

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Jack (2004)
Reply #3 - 28. Dec 2013 at 21:41
Print Post  
Smiley I saw this good TV movie this evening. I liked very much the very good play of Anton YELCHIN and Giacoma BAESSATO in parts of Jack and Max. I liked also the play of Ryan DRESHER in part of Sammy, the Jack's little brother. My moe rating is 7/10.

IP Logged

Boymoviebuff
Ex Member

Re: Jack (2004)
Reply #4 - 06. Jan 2014 at 21:49
Print Post  
Looks quite interesting I'll try to locate it! Anton has become an excellent adult actor, I loved him as the legendary Scotty in Star Trek, he did the roll a justice, James Doohan would have been proud.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print