Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Great Yokai War, The (2005) (Read 17,609 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Great Yokai War, The (2005)
12. Sep 2004 at 16:44
Print Post  

This is really weird news. Those of you familiar with the work of director Takashi Miike will know what I mean.

From Helsinki International Film Festival site
( (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Japan’s Kadokawa Pictures is to remake the 1968 Yoshiyuki Kuroda hit The Big Spook War (Yokai Daisenso) with director Takashi Miike at the helm.

Announcing the film at the Kadokawa Daei Studio, Kadokawa president Tsuguhiko Kadokawa said it was the first instalment in a series that will "rival Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings in its worldwide appeal."

In the original film a European vampire possesses the spirit of a Japanese Lord, inspiring local ghosts and goblins to go on the attack. The new film, however, promises to be a departure. The spook defying hero will be played by eleven-year-old Ryunosuke Kamiki, while action legend Bunta Sugawara will play his grandfather and popular TV talent Chiaki Kuriyama will play a goblin working for the forces of evil.

Miike, the enfant terrible of the Japanese film industry, dealt with a similar subject matter in this year’s superhero parody Zebraman and his 2002 horror send-up The Happiness of the Katakuris.

The development team for the film includes 82-year -old Shigeru Mizu, the artist responsible for the comic on which the original film was based. Release is scheduled for next August.

The Big Spook War is the first film to be announced by Kadokawa Pictures, the new company formed in April by the merger between the Kadokawa parent company’s film production arms and its Daiei subsidiary.

Founded in 1942, the Daiei studio was a major industry force in the 1950s and 1960s, responsible for Akira Kurosawa’s Rashomon and the Zatoichi series, among many others. The company went bankrupt in 1971, but in 1974 came under the corporate umbrella of the Tokuma Shoten Publishing company. In November of 2002, Kadokawa purchased Daiei from Tokuma, together with its 1,600 film library, and merged it with its film division under the name Kadokawa Daiei, now changed to Kadokawa Pictures.

In addition to The Big Spook War, Kadokawa is also planning New G.I. Samurai -- a remake of a 1979 film by Mitsumasa Saito about a squadron of Self Defense Force soldiers who time travel back to 16th century Japan (see separate story on ScreenDaily.com) - and new instalment of the studio’s signature Gamera series about a giant flying turtle.

- Screen Daily 7.9.2004

« Last Edit: 06. Jul 2008 at 05:03 by Zabladowski »  

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Japanese movie will "rival Harry Potter&q
Reply #1 - 13. Sep 2004 at 11:25
Print Post  
It's very good news Smiley

IP Logged

zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Re: Japanese movie will "rival Harry Potter&a
Reply #2 - 10. Jun 2005 at 23:32
Print Post  
Japanese official now open:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #3 - 11. Jun 2005 at 00:20
Print Post  
I had actually forgotten all about this movie, even though I was the one who started the thread. Since the movie is still in post-production, it seems unlikely that it will be ready for the Fantasia festival, which starts here in Montreal July 7 and usually features at least one or two films by director Takashi Miike. I'm pretty sure we can expect Izo and probably Zebraman to play this year, but I was really hoping for this one too. I guess it's not completely impossible.

I've emailed Fantasia to ask when we can expect some news on this year's program and they said that their website would be updated on June 17.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #4 - 12. Jun 2005 at 01:51
Print Post  
Poor publicity don't you think?

I'd forgotten about it as well...  for a film that was supposedly going to rival Harry Potter they are light years behind in knowing how to build up public anticipation. And the site is all in Japanese   ???

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #5 - 12. Jun 2005 at 08:43
Print Post  
I never believed for a second that this film would rival Harry Potter, at least not in terms of popularity in the western world.

Takashi Miike (the director) makes several movies a year and is becoming extremely popular among fans of cult cinema. But outside of Japan, asdie from Asian film buffs, no one has ever heard of him. I doubt he will crossover into the mainstream anytime soon, as his films tend to be extremely violent, graphic and weird.

I think this movie will be great, probably successful in Japan, and probably a cult hit around the world eventually. But it won't be Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (in terms of popularity), and certainly not Harry Potter.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #6 - 13. Jun 2005 at 00:16
Print Post  
Well let's hope we get to see it before we forget about it a second time   Smiley

IP Logged

zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #7 - 13. Jun 2005 at 01:27
Print Post  
Ryunosuke Kamiki is a very talented and famous boy actor in Japan, and he did many dramas and movies. I hope I can see this movie. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 13. Jun 2005 at 03:50
Print Post  
Thanks..

Profile added.

zork,  if you know of any other Japanese boy actors that have been in Japanese films which have been released internationally please let us know so we can add profiles for them.

IP Logged

zork
Silver Member

BA Member

Reply #9 - 13. Jun 2005 at 04:16
Print Post  
Quote:
Thanks..

Profile added.

zork,  if you know of any other Japanese boy actors that have been in Japanese films which have been released internationally please let us know so we can add profiles for them.

ok.
And Thanks cal for adding his profile. Cheesy

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #10 - 14. Oct 2005 at 02:22
Print Post  
Having just attended the American premiere, I can assure all that neither Harry Potter nor The Lord of the Rings series have anything to worry about in terms of box office competition.

Ryunosuke Kamiki is very appealing and is in nearly the whole film, but the film itself would be classified in the USA as a cult item.

From what little I have learned reading some reviews, it appears this film will be regarded highest by those who have some familiarity with Japanese folklore. Those without such a background (like me  Smiley ) may find the story to be confusing and underdeveloped in spots.

Overall still a 6 or 7 in my book.

P.S. The English title is The Great Yokai War

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #11 - 14. Oct 2005 at 05:03
Print Post  
Quote:
P.S. The English title is The Great Yokai War

IMDb says "The Big Spook War"

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #12 - 14. Oct 2005 at 08:07
Print Post  
In my experience, all of director Miike's films have been very confusing and weird, so I'm not surprised by your reaction, Zab. In terms of his other films, I wouldn't call their story "underdeveloped," but they do have that characteristic Japanese eliptical style of storytelling, very similar to Yumeno, which we saw in Montreal this year,

In the few cases where he has worked with kids, I thought Miike was pretty good at directing them to get a realistic performance from them. I still look forward to this one.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #13 - 14. Oct 2005 at 16:09
Print Post  
1) Hosenhaus,

In your haste to post a correction, perhaps you missed the part about me attending the premiere. I am quite aware of what the film was named; it was even printed on my ticket!  Tongue
The IMDB information was someone's accurate translation of the original Japanese and apparently the English name of the original 1968 film.

2) joseph,

If I may clarify, the story did not go out of its way to explain who the various Yokai were. Some of the audience knew these characters from their personal knowledge of either the original film or Japanese folklore. Culturally challenged me could have used a backstory.
The primary story was explained well enough and my comment does not apply to it.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #14 - 15. Oct 2005 at 02:06
Print Post  
Quote:
1) Hosenhaus,

In your haste to post a correction

I didn't see it as being a correction, just a helpful addendum. 'The Great Yokai War' doesn't get a result on IMBd search whereas 'The Big Spook War' does.

Thank you both  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print