Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Great Yokai War, The (2005) (Read 17,847 times)
Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: Japanese movie will "rival Harry Potter&q
Reply #15 - 20. Oct 2005 at 19:47
Print Post  
One of the odd things about the written word is that different people can come to different conclusions reading the same thing...........

I guess this is an example.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Re: Japanese movie will "rival Harry Potter&q
Reply #16 - 23. Jul 2006 at 10:13
Print Post  
Some of you may remember I was hoping this movie would play at Fantasia last year, but apparently it wasn't ready in time. However, it played at this year's festival, and I just saw it last night with a very enthusiastic crowd at the sold-out Montreal premiere.

As Zab already mentioned here, this movie isn't actually going to rival anything in terms of widespread commercial appeal. But I thought it was quite good, better than I expected from the trailer, actually.

I just posted a review on the profile, so I'll just copy it here:

This was much, much better than I expected. The special effects and costumes are rather cheesy, but two things save the movie: 1. the charismatic young lead gives a pretty good performance and manages to make you care for the character, in spite of the cartoon-like that the movie often has; and 2. Miike infuses the narrative with his trademark brand of insanity, grotesque violence, potent sexual symbolism, and outrageous sense of humour. Viewers familiar with Miike's work will recognize his usual concern with themes like the clash between traditional values and our alienating, technology-driven, post-modern condition, although if you're not looking for it, it'll probably just go over you head. Overall, though, if you can get past the over-the-top action, this is a pretty good movie with a lot more substance (and a lot more adult-oriented) than something like The Power Rangers.

PS: I agree with Zab that there isn't much of an attempt to explain the Japanese folklore elements to the Western audience, which is understandable since the movie's target audience is primarily Japanese and they would already be familiar with this stuff. But I always kind of expect that from any fantasy film from Japan, and it didn't really take away much of my enjoyment of the film. I'd say if you can enjoy something like the immensely popular animation film Spirited Away, then you shoudln't have any problem with this either. (Both are based on the same mythology.)

And suprisingly, even though this is a fantasy film, the narrative was much more straightforward and conventional than most Miike films I've seen, though not without its moments of disorienting meta-cinematic cleverness.

One last note: I'd love to see Ryunosuke Kamiki in something else. He's cute and I thought his performance was really good.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: The Great Yokai War
Reply #17 - 24. Jul 2006 at 15:50
Print Post  
Dear Zab, I hope you will allow me to post this...

IMDb now lists these names for it:

The Great Yokai War (Canada: English title) (festival title) (International: English title) (UK) (subtitle)
Hobgoblins & the Great War (literal English title)
Spook Warfare
The Great Hobgoblin War (literal English title)

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Re: Japanese movie will "rival Harry Potter"
Reply #18 - 08. Sep 2006 at 09:23
Print Post  
Quote:
Well let's hope we get to see it before we forget about it a second time   Smiley

On video this week.  Did you forget yet?

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: The Great Yokai War
Reply #19 - 11. Sep 2006 at 08:20
Print Post  
...not forgotten by me. I've got the movie.  Smiley

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Re: Great Yokai War, The (2005)
Reply #20 - 22. May 2014 at 16:49
Print Post  
Smiley I have seen again this japanese movie this afternoon. Ryunoske KAMIKI have a very good play in part od Tadeshi. My movie rating is 7/10.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #21 - 22. May 2014 at 17:13
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #22 - 22. May 2014 at 17:39
Print Post  
Smiley I have also in my DVD the movie of 1968. I think to see his this evening. The DVD with  the 2 movies is now available in France by amazon.fr in japanese with french substitles.

IP Logged

Nérodiaman
Platinum Member

BA Member

Reply #23 - 22. May 2014 at 22:50
Print Post  
Smiley The movie of 1968 is't interessing. There are not boys actors !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print