Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Montreal World Film Festival 2006 (Read 4,996 times)
josephk
Platinum Member

Montreal World Film Festival 2006
25. Aug 2006 at 20:34
Print Post  
WORLD FILM FESTIVAL - MONTREAL 2006

This festival started today. Here are some of the films I'm going to see this year:

SATURDAY

Vitus
(Switzerland)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Six-year-old Vitus is an unusual boy in many respects. He has hearing like a bat, plays piano like the young Mozart and reads the encyclopedia at kindergarten. His mother, a translator at a Zurich publishing house, and his father, an acoustic engineer, sense that a brilliant career lies ahead for their boy, who, they have decided, is to become a concert pianist. As for the little genius himself, he prefers to spend his time tinkering in his grandfather's workshop and dreaming about flying. He wants nothing more than to live a normal childhood. Vitus' increasingly wunderkind loneliness so weighs on him that at 12 he decides to leap from his balcony on his grandfather's hand glider. When he comes out of his coma, Vitus' world is a very different place.

WEDNESDAY

The Long Walk
aka Nagai Sanpo (Japan)

Matsutaro Yasuda, retired principal of a girls' high school, has moved from the city to an apartment in a small provincial town. Yasuda is alone. After losing his wife to alcohol, he has become estranged from his daughter. But at his new address he has neighbours. In particular 5-year-old Sachi, a little girl with cardboard angel's wings on her back who clutches the iron fence with her fists and gazes into the distance. She is barefoot and wears a summer dress despite it being winter. Her leg is bruised and scratched. Yasuda tries to speak to Sachi but gets neither words nor even a smile in return. When night falls, Yasuda can hear the girl's mother and her boyfriend arguing loudly next door. Yasuda tries to block it all out. He doesn't want to hear or see anything. Only little Sachi affects him. She also seems to be blocking things out. "Have you ever seen a blue sky?" he asks her. "Where clouds look like cotton candy and a white bird is flying high? Would you like to walk with me?" Eventually he connects. Yasuda and Sachi take a long walk during which they meet a young boy named Wataru at a small, desolate train station. Wataru is also lonely. He joins the two on their journey but the trip takes un unexpected turn one day when Sachi begins to open her heart to Yasuda and Wataru. Her cardboard angel wings begin to fly up to a real sky...

THURSDAY

We Shall Overcome
Drřmmen (Denmark)

Denmark, 1969. Like elsewhere in the world, it is a time of political turbulence, but 13-year-old Frits finds that some people, in particular his school's tyrannical headmaster, refuse to acknowledge that times they are a-changing. When Frits' mom buys their first TV, Frits is especially inspired by Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, and he is not slow to apply the message to his own situation. When Frits' long hair draws the ire of the headmaster resulting in a severe ear-twisting, the newly-aroused teenager, supported by his father and a sympathetic teacher, organizes non-violence protests at the school. It isn't quite the struggle for civil rights in the South, but injustice is where you find it.

SATURDAY

My Quick Way Out
Volando Voy (Spain)

Madrid in the late 1970s. A car speeding through city streets seems to have no driver. Then the face of a young boy can be seen through the front window. He is Juan Carlos, all of seven years old. "El Pera", as he is called, has the skills of a Formula 1 driver and he's the most arrested car thief in Spain. Born in a working class neighbourhood to long-suffering father Juan and mother Pepita, El Pera has been recruited by a local gang of delinquents as their getaway driver. After multiple arrests, El Pera drifts away from his family and into the orbit of a hippie loner named Begona. His "betrayal" by Begona pushes him into full-scale rebellion and, paradoxically, into the care of social worker Uncle Alberto. Here, at last, is someone who recognizes that El Pera is still a child.

From the director of Bear Cub (2004).

I'm going to see others, but I'm not sure if they'll be worth posting about here. A few of them I don't expect to have any boy actors in them. Some of the others, I don't know yet.

Zabladowski is going to see a lot more than me, and I'm sure he'll keep you all posted once he's back.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Re: Montreal World Film Festival 2006
Reply #1 - 26. Aug 2006 at 06:21
Print Post  
Have fun a the festival Joseph. A very interesting little selection of films there. I've got Volando Voy which I've yet to watch. The others actually look more appealing. I'm envious as always.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #2 - 31. Aug 2006 at 00:44
Print Post  
Brief update so far:

Vitus was really good.

The Long Walk sucked and has no boy in it. (The "young boy" in the description looked like he was about 18 or 19.)

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #3 - 31. Aug 2006 at 16:06
Print Post  
Thanks Joseph for the info. on "Vitus".

And for what it's worth on this end.... "Drommen" was a rubbish film as well.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #4 - 31. Aug 2006 at 23:55
Print Post  
I saw Drommen tonight. I quite liked it, actually. What was it that you didn't like about it?

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #5 - 09. Sep 2006 at 12:36
Print Post  
Thanks Joseph, VITUS looks especially nice. Is it just me, or are your included pics unusually vivid and stunning? I know I've been net-deprived for a while.

Again, I truly appreciate you and Zab scouting out these Festival gems. Slowly but surely I have been able to see many from previous years reports.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #6 - 14. Sep 2006 at 23:33
Print Post  
Now that I'm caught up reading all the posts on here, I'll try to start in on my festival post tomorrow.

Overall it was a down year but there were still some films worth talking about.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #7 - 19. Sep 2006 at 21:29
Print Post  
So where was I......

As I was saying this was a poor year based on what we have come to expect from the World Film Festivals of year's past.

I got a late start on planning due to a particularly hectic "real world" schedule and couldn't prepare as well as usual. Worse than that, personal commitments and schedule conflicts kept me away from some of the ontopic films I most wanted to see.  Cry

In keeping with the mood of this year's fest, we'll first cover the films that I missed but wanted to see.

JAK SE KROTÍ KROKODÝLI
     Taming Crocodiles

Things are never quiet in this Czech family. Father Lubo is a member of a rescue team and away in the mountains while mother Anna is busy with her ballet company. Home on an infrequent visit, Lubo finds everyone wanting his attention. Little Amálka refuses to go on a school trip to the country because she wants to spend time with Daddy, and so he has to take the job of nurse on the trip and go with her class to the Tatra mountains, where his stay is unexpectedly prolonged. Anna, who is facing retirement and the loss of her beloved profession, is waiting for them at Grandpa Pepík's cottage, while Pepík himself goes off to Prague for a computer course. And then 19-year-old Vaek announces he's off on an ecological expedition to the Caribbean...

This film is the latest from the director of The World is Fun with You and Twins at the Zoo, both profiled in our database. It's unfortunate that it didn't play while I was in town.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JUST LIKE THE SON

When 20-year-old Daniel is ordered to do community service at an elementary school in New York, he strikes up a friendship with young Boone. He learns that Boone's mother is sick and may be hospitalized and that he has an older sister in Dallas. When Boone doesn't show up for school a few days later, Daniel begins to ask questions and learns that the boy was placed in temporary foster care in upstate New York. After being rejected as an adoption candidate, and failing to convince his father to help him gain custody, Daniel decides to take the law into his own hands. He puts his street smarts to use and breaks Boone out of foster care and they head to Dallas. Their goal is to find Boone's sister but there are more important discoveries along the way.

This is the latest film from Morgan Freeman (no not that Morgan Freeman  Grin ), the director perhaps most noted in these circles for Brendan Sexton's followup to Welcome to the Dollhouse, Hurricane Streets; a film I didn't particularly like.
As an American film, it's likely to be out on video someday anyway.

O GRANDE BAZAR
The Great Bazaar

In the suburb of an African city, 12-year-old Paito sells fritters outside his house to help support his family. One day a band of thieves take his money. He decides that he needs to recover what he lost and he heads out for the big city on the same train as the thieves. Looking for work, he settles down in a large market square that at night becomes a dormitory for homeless vendors. There he meets Xano, a boy his own age, whose insolence and fearlessness attract him. Unlike Paito, Xano hates work and steals so as not to have to live with his family. Despite this they become friends. With practice and creativity, Paito begins to earn his money back. But the thieves who robbed him are also in the market and they begin to extort money from the other children...

The culprit in this case was lack of English subtitles. For any Montrealer this wasn't a problem, for me this made the film a miss.

DOODH AUR APHEEN
Milk and Opium

Swaroop, a young Sufi boy from a caste of musicians, leaves his desert village in search of work with his Uncle Nizam. An innocent and curious 14-year-old, Swaroop quickly discovers another, harsher world. Nizam, who takes opium, peppers his conversation with Muslim religious rhetoric and scams money any way he can, disillusions Swaroop, and when Nizam's group of musicians breaks up, Swaroop heads off on his own to the city. There he meets Santosh, a young Hindu boy studying to become a priest. The two find themselves in a world of malls and multinationals, a new globalized India that bears only the faintest resemblance to the traditional society they, and others, had known.

This film premiered on my last day in town and fell victim to a direct conflict with another screening. Hopefully skipping it here was the right move. I've heard good things about this film and hope it to be available elsewhere this festival season.

The other film that I wasn't able to see while in town was Vitus covered in depth previously by josephk.

At least one of us got to see that one.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #8 - 20. Sep 2006 at 23:13
Print Post  
"Now to address what I actually did get to see!

Monday

My arrival in Montreal was particularly smooth this year. I was fortunate to book a package which included a room at the festival headquarters. My lodgings were going to be more upscale than what I have come to expect and my location was going to be better. This was an important consideration as I was to be on foot for the whole week and the festival had switched locations. The Parisien Cinema was abandoned for a new complex in the Latin Quartier. While I missed the Parisien, the new cinema was nice as well featuring stadium seating in a few auditoriums. Thumbs Up:

My other surprise wasn't nearly as pleasant, my preliminary schedule was thrown into disarray because some of my screenings were sold out already. After making some quick corrections, I was ready for my walk to the Latin Quartier to begin festing.

The Forest Ranger
     Tian gou

Wounded during military service and now forced to walk with a limp, Li Tiangou finds work as a guard in a remote state-owned forest. When he first moves there with his wife and young son, Li is given a warm welcome. There is an elaborate welcoming ceremony and several villagers come to his house bearing gifts. But it doesn't take long for the welcome to grow cold. When Li looks out over the forests he is supposed to guard, he discovers that they have been ravaged by indiscriminate cutting. He understands the purpose of the gifts and accepts no more. Li's principled behaviour begins to upset some of the locals. In particular the three Kong brothers, who have gotten rich from years of illegal logging and from bullying anyone who opposed their methods. When their plan to buy Li off fails, the Kongs declare war on the new ranger, cutting off his supply of water and electricity. They humiliate Li's wife and abduct his son. But Li sticks to his guns. Literally. He guards the forest armed with an old weapon and a crippled leg. The nefarious brothers round up their henchmen and plot a showdown. Violence seems inevitable...

A Chinese action-adventure hero pic. My notes say the film reminded me of Life is Beautiful in spots. I thought it also had elements of American westerns of years past. It certainly was a different kind of Chinese film than what I had seen before. Li's son, Yangzi, is given moderate screen time. There was also an appearance by a village boy Huzi whose problem with incontinence was dealt with in a sensitive manner by our hero. Only the ending disappointed with a final scene so mawkish it belonged in a Filippino or Korean movie instead.

Rating : 7/10

Boy Actors: Two, but will require someone's help (maybe Zork?) to identify
Content Alert: Violence

Under the Ice
Unter dem eis

Jenny and Michael and their 7-year-old son Tim live in a house in the suburbs. When Sandra, her husband Günther and their small daughter Luzi move into the neighbourhood, Jenny helps them to settle in. One day, when Tim and Luzi are secretly playing in the woods, Luzi is killed. It is a tragic accident, but circumstances might lead others to conclude that Tim was somehow implicated, so Jenny covers it up. She pretends that Tim wasn't there and warns him not to tell anyone the truth. Not even to his own father, who, as a police detective, is in charge of the case. Tim obeys but hiding a secret of this enormity has consequences. On him, on his mother and on everyone in contact with them...

This film was a tad disappointing. In it we watch the deterioration of Tim due to the manipulations of his mother. There is a suggestion here that Tim has been turned into a monster that society will have to deal with in the future due to the trauma of the cover up. Like many European films, this one failed to resolve the story; something that I think would have been helpful in this case. Adrian Wahlen, who plays Tim has a central role in the film. If I find better stills, this film will have a BA profile.

Rating : 6/10
Boy Actor: Adrian Wahlen
Content Alert: Nudity
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Shanghai Red

Zhu Meili, mother of an 8-year-old boy, is a widow who lives in a rapidly changing Shanghai. Her husband was killed and she feels guilty. When we first meet Meili, she is dressed in a red Qi-pao dress, a gift from her husband on their last night together. She is on her way to kill Li, one of the men she believes responsible for her husband's death. SHANGHAI RED follows Meili during the last days of her freedom, a traditional woman buffetted by the winds of modernization, conflicted by loyalty, love, guilt and motherhood. Recounting her story to her court-appointed lawyer, Meili explains that her acts were those of a mother and a wife, not a murderer. "I made one considerable mistake, then it was easy to make many more." The lawyer, struggling with his own social and domestic issues, advises Meili not to recount her personal story but to limit herself to the series of events that have led to her being charged with several counts of murder. Instead, Meili forces the lawyer to confront the reality of his failed marriage, his antipathy to his mother and his contempt for his father's personal weaknesses. The roles of men and women are changing very rapidly in contemporary China.

A Chinese-American co-production this film was an interesting effort. It fell onto my schedule due to the film I wanted to see being sold out, but I'm glad I got to see it. Lu Yao, who plays the protagonist's son, has a fair amount of screen time and the story held my interest throughout.
While preachy in spots, the film made an interesting comment about the protagonist's devotion deriving from her guilt rather than from her love. A profound point which worked for me in this film, but destroyed my outlook on another film later in the fest.

Boy Actor : Lu Yao

Official Site : (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The Little Fugitive

With his father in prison and his mother working long hours at a nursing home, Lenny, age 11, is burdened with the responsibility of looking after his younger brother, Joey, age 7. Lenny and his friends plan to celebrate his 12th birthday at Coney Island on the Cyclone rollercoaster -- which Joey is too small to ride. When Joey defies Lenny's order to stay at home, Lenny devises a cruel joke, intending to teach his little brother a lesson. The joke goes too far. Believing that he has shot and killed his older brother, Joey runs away to Coney Island, thinking he can never go home again. As night falls and Joey does not return, Lenny fears the worst. He regrets his actions and becomes more and more desperate to find his little brother -- unharmed.

My last screening of the night was going to be the time when josephk would be available to join me. He opted out of this screening however so I was left to endure this alone. This retelling of a true American classic joins the Bad News Bears as one of the worst remakes of the last few years. It takes all that was right with the original and craps all over it.
While a modern director may have felt that making the main cast Hispanic was more in keeping with  the times, did she need to include prison scenes, perp walks, rampant foul language, a mother who abandoned her sons so she could go to Atlantic City and gamble, a father character who was a dwarf, and a pony man (Brendan Sexton III  Shocked ) who was a child molester. All of the subtlety in the original film is gone here. With all of the hostility and negativity depicted, Lenny's attitudinal 180 into the caring brother who wouldn't be able to live if anything happened to Joey is completely unbelievable.
Another Zabladowski pet peeve, Lenny's two friends in the movie were approximately 18 years old - another deviation from the original story that was not welcomed by this reviewer at all.
Although I thought the screenplay was a complete failure, David Castro gives a reasonable performance as Joey.
This alone is responsible for me not rating this mess a zero.

Rating : 3/10
Boy Actors; David Castro, Nicolas Salgado

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #9 - 21. Sep 2006 at 11:13
Print Post  
Thanks Zab.  The boy in Taming Crocodiles has a gorgeous face. I wonder what his name is and how much screen time he has.

Pity about Little Fugitive.

I'll still be wanting to see them ALL though.   Smiley

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #10 - 21. Sep 2006 at 18:12
Print Post  
Thanks, Zab, for those reviews. I'm sorry to hear they did everything possible to screw up Little Fugitive. It sounds almost comical and I wonder if the filmmakers even liked the original, where much of the charm came from things unsaid.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #11 - 19. Jun 2007 at 14:50
Print Post  
Montreal 2007..... already have tickets!  All hail to Air Transat,  non-stop Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print