Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2005 Favorites (Read 29,874 times)
YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Re: 2005 Favorites
Reply #15 - 06. Jan 2006 at 19:05
Print Post  
As usual, I will be referring to these lists for ones to watch for. Thanks all!
(also a particular thanks to Josephk for reminding me to put ‘Good
Night & Good Luck’ on my ‘watch for DVD’ list Smiley)

As it turns out, not one of my ‘best’ movies for 2005 were released in 2005.
Eight on my list of best 20 were released in 2004, which is a good
reflection of my retro, catch-up habits. Grin  These are movies I VIEWED
last year, starting with 2 excellent general films -

The Dresser (1984)
Shine (1996)
Millions (2004)
Les Choristes (2004)
Peter Pan (1924)
Dear Frankie (2004)
An Angel For May (2002)
When Beckham Met Owen (2004)
Bad Education (2004)
You’re My Hero (2003)
Miracle of Marcellino (1954)
Finding Neverland (2004)
Boy of Baghdad (2004)
Promises (2000)
I Am David (2003)
The Full Monty (1997)
Testimony of Taliesan Jones (2000)
Two Brothers (2004)
A Rumor of Angels (2002)
All My Loved Ones (1999)

(p.s.  I never watch Ebert & Whatzizname but I wouldn't fail
to catch Zab & Joseph :laughing: )

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #16 - 07. Jan 2006 at 10:17
Print Post  
Glad to see you joining the party, YA.  Cheesy

I have seen all but 4 on your list and enjoyed most of them. The two on topic films I have not are in my rental queue. I'm thrilled that you finally got to see Millions. I knew you'd love it.

I have added the logo of your favorite DVD distribution service to those films in my list that it now carries. Of the three additional films this makes available to you, I'm going to guess Saint Ralph will end up being your favorite.

IP Logged

hosenhaus
BA Moderator

spheroid

Reply #17 - 07. Jan 2006 at 11:39
Print Post  
Quote:
My experience with The Great Water wasn't as positive. I think I saw an American version, as it had some English narration. This is undoubtedly the version that will get the R1 DVD. 

The DVD (which is where I saw it) has a choice of narration: either the original or English.

Quote:
Most of the Asian films you mention I have not seen.
Mr. Kim and Don't Tell Papa are on my CVMC to rent list though so I will catch up to those some day.

I think "Don't Tell Papa" is my choice of the number one film I saw in 2005.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #18 - 09. Jan 2006 at 04:27
Print Post  
I can't do a 2005 list yet because I haven't seen enough of the movies that deserve being seen so here's my highest 20 rated boy movies of the last five years (2001-2005) as my worthless contribution   Tongue

You're My Hero (2003)
Song for a Raggy Boy (2003)
Nobody Knows (2004)
Abandoned (2001)
Where Eskimos Live (2002)
Scars (2002)
Machuca (2004)
Unfair Competition (2001)
Together (2002)
Swing (2002)
My Teacher Mr Kim (2003)
Les Choristes (2004)
Peter Pan (2003)
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (2001)  
Malabar Princess (2004)
Devil's Backbone, The (2001)
Hard Goodbyes: My Father (2002)
Finding Neverland (2004)
Pure (2002)
Clément (2001)

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #19 - 09. Jan 2006 at 05:18
Print Post  
I love 'worthless' lists like that when they contain so many good ones - and of course many i agree with Wink

Also, I just had to comment on the little heading in Joseph's list that has struck me so funny, for about the 8th time. In that soberly compiled listing we come across a category titled 'worthless shit'. :laughing: Zero ambiguity in that critical comment.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #20 - 10. Jan 2006 at 01:54
Print Post  
Maybe we should get Bijou to create a "Worthless Shit" recommendation for the movie profiles  Grin

IP Logged

zhizhi
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #21 - 11. Jan 2006 at 12:06
Print Post  

Great list and great caps Zab.

With the amount of the movies I saw last year. I really can't do a best of 2005, but I'll try. Some of the films are released in 2004 or even 2003. All of them feature boy actors.

1. Nobody Knows
2. Hinokio
3. Child Star
4. Mysterious Skin
5. Bear Hug
6. Millions
7. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
8. Close to Leo
9. Jump! Boys (documentry)
10. Saint Ralph

Movie I know seeing it would put it in top 10: The Squid and the Whale

josephk: Looks like you have become quite a fan of Tsai Ming Liang. Did you see all of his films in film festival? I would love to know how you got a hold of All Corners of the World.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #22 - 11. Jan 2006 at 22:21
Print Post  
Quote:
josephk: Looks like you have become quite a fan of Tsai Ming Liang. Did you see all of his films in film festival? I would love to know how you got a hold of All Corners of the World.

They played a retrospective of his work at the Cinémathèque Québécoise in Montreal and I went to see all of them except the one that I had previously seen (The Hole). After that experience of seeing his complete work in a couple of weeks, he instantly became one of my favourite directors. What an impressive body of work!

As far as I know, All the Corners of the World and Boys (aka Youngsters) are not available on DVD or VHS, unfortunately. Since they were made for TV, it seems unlikely that they ever will become available. I hope you get a chance to see them, somehow. Both are worth a look. It's fascinating that Lee Kang-sheng was only about 12 in the first film they made together - and he's been in every single one of his films since! They must have a really close relationship to have collaborated like this on the entire span of both their careers.

IP Logged

zhizhi
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #23 - 13. Jan 2006 at 00:05
Print Post  
Quote:
It's fascinating that Lee Kang-sheng was only about 12 in the first film they made together - and he's been in every single one of his films since! They must have a really close relationship to have collaborated like this on the entire span of both their careers.

Wow, I didn't realize they started working together when Lee  was 12. I saw All the Corners of the World once in film festival. So the boy in it was Lee? That is amazing.

IP Logged

josephk
Platinum Member

Reply #24 - 13. Jan 2006 at 01:55
Print Post  
Yeah, that's him. I was flabbergasted when I realized it was the same actor. Based on interviews and articles I've read, it's clear that Tsai has real admiration and affection for him.

Lee's importance in Tsai's work cannot be underestimated. I can't think of any other director who has been so fixated on a single actor throughout his entire career. Many others have had their fetish actors (Truffaut and Jean-Pierre Léaud immediately comes to mind), but as far as I know Tsai is the only one who has spent his entire carreer obsessing over it! Aside from some very early television work, he has never made a film without Lee.

Even his style is to some extent a result of Lee's personality. He says that when he first started working with him, he noticed how slow his reactions were and kept asking him to try to act more quickly, but Lee was very stubborn and eventually Tsai came to accept his way of acting and integrate it into his filmmaking style. It's very impressive that an actor so young could have made such an impression on a filmmaker.

IP Logged

zhizhi
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #25 - 15. Jan 2006 at 10:02
Print Post  
You are certainly an expert on Tsai's film Smiley

I have only watched about half of Tsai's film and like Lee's work in all of them. Besides Truffaut and Jean-Pierre, I can't think of another director-actor pair who collaborate on so many films particularly considering how young Lee was at their first collaboration. Off hand, I could only think of Jim Redler who worked in a couple of his Dad's TV films as well as Antoine Hubert who worked in four of his Dad's movies. Yet none could match Tsai and Lee. Indeed the relationship between them is very unique.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #26 - 16. Jan 2006 at 10:42
Print Post  
Thanks for your contribution zhizhi. I have seen all but Jump Boys and Mysterious Skin from your list and could recommend all that I have seen.

Tell me more about Jump! Boys. I have read  summaries of it in film festival programs, but I don't think the film has gotten out of Asia much if at all.

IP Logged

zhizhi
Bronze Member

BA Member

Reply #27 - 17. Jan 2006 at 05:31
Print Post  
Quote:
Tell me more about Jump! Boys. I have read  summaries of it in film festival programs, but I don't think the film has gotten out of Asia much if at all.

Jump! Boys is a Tawanese documentry which follows the life of 7 boys between 7~9 and their gymnastic training. It's really fun and cute to see 7 different boys doing things I could never do in my life. The documentry captures each boy's personality very well. Some of the touches the director put on make it a very enoyable viewing experience.

I got the DVD (with English subtitles) when I visited Taiwan  It's NT520 which is about $17.

Official site (Chinese only)
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #28 - 12. Feb 2009 at 00:34
Print Post  
oh darn... maybe the photos could be re-attached to this thread?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Print