Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic boy's radio station - hitz (Read 1,278 times)
apple
Platinum Member

BA Member

boy's radio station - hitz
26. Feb 2007 at 07:16
Print Post  
he's lucky to have a helpful dad!!

26 February 2007

5 MILLION LISTENERS.. AND RADIO BOSS RYAN IS ONLY 15

By Rod Mills

A SCHOOLBOY tycoon is on his way to becoming the next Richard Branson after building a radio empire with five million fans.

Ryan Dunlop, 15, employs 40 people at his firm, Hitz Radio - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
His four internet radio stations have built amassive fan base in just a year on the air.

And Ryan has also set up a record label and concert promotion business - all while still in fourth year at school.

Ryan, a self-taught computer expert, started his empire at the age of 13 with a £20,000 loan from dad John, 42.

The Ayr youngster recruited web experts to set up his radio stations, which have already attracted five million "hits" from listeners.

Ryan pays more than 20 DJs and hosts his own afternoon show. He has interviewed stars including David Bowie and Oasis.

Virgin supremo Branson started his multi-billion pound empire with a mail-order record service.

And Ryan is planning to follow his hero's example and diversify, by moving into digital TV by 2009.

Ryan said yesterday: "I've always admired Richard Branson and I hope I can build a business just like him.

"I started Hitz Radio with one PC in my bedroom and it sort of snowballed. I'd always been fascinated by computers and the internet and digital radio was one of the emerging markets I wanted to get into."

As well as running the company, with the help of directors including his dad, Ryan presents a drive-time show every weekday.

He gets up at 5am to start work in his home office, reading emails from fans.

After lessons at Prestwick Academy, he dashes back to his studio in Ayr to present his 4pm show. And when the programme ends at 8pm, he heads home to do paperwork and make phone calls until 10pm.

He said: "I know I'm not your typical teenager. I don't seem to need as much sleep as some of my friends.

"It's quite strange still having computer classes at school when my work is really at a far more advanced level. But my teachers are very supportive."

Ryan lives with parents John, Lynn, 37, brother Kyle, 12, and sister Lucy.

John, a computer engineer, said: "Everyone in the industry is amazed at his maturity. He's very modest, but when you have people like David Bowie calling him for an interview, it's incredible."

------------------
editorial :

26 February 2007

FLYIN' RYAN

AN AYRSHIRE schoolboy is living proof that the Scottish entrepreneurial spirit evident in world figures from Andrew Carnegie to Sir Tom Hunter is thriving.

Ryan Dunlop may be just 15 - but already he has proved himself a force in the world of radio and multi-media.

He runs four radio stations, promotes live concerts, has his own record label and employs 20 people in his expanding empire.

He gets up at 5am to cope with around 1500 emails before he goes to school.

And to prove he's not neglecting his studies, he recently scored 100 per cent in four of his nine Standard Grades.

We need more young Scots to show that kind of initiative.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Print