Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Print
Normal Topic Goodbye To The Normals (Read 2,476 times)
80s_kid
Silver Member

BA Member

Goodbye To The Normals
09. Mar 2007 at 11:05
Print Post  
Goodbye To The Normals is a short film about a young boy called Magnus who decides to run away from home. I thought I'd share it with you all. I can't help but laugh every time I watch it!  Grin

Alfie Field who plays 'Magnus'
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

YIM  
IP Logged

devon
Ex Member

Re: Goodbye To The Normals
Reply #1 - 09. Mar 2007 at 15:05
Print Post  
So funny!

I saved it and have played it several times. (Found out that Replay 7 had problems because youtube changed their protocols. Had to find another way to save the file.)

Must see.

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 09. Mar 2007 at 22:35
Print Post  
haha very cute.

Official site is at:

It's an unusual way of promoting an album.

An IMDb comment:

Magnus is only a young boy but he has decided to run away to America of all places. His mother has given up so it is left to his father to try and talk him out of it but it does rather seem that young Magnus has already made his mind up.

Screened separately and together on television and widely available on the internet, this short film was one of several that were commissioned by Robbie Williams to help promote his new album Rudebox. None of the shorts were videos but they were all standalone short films "inspired" by a song off the album but always intended to exist in their own right. Although it is a rather literal take on the Williams song, the short film works best if you just buy into it. The scenario of this tiny child leaving his home behind him is so absurd that it is hard not to get into it and find it funny.

The cast help make it. Furst is good while Cowan doesn't have much to do, but it is the child playing Magnus that makes it as he does manage to come across so grown up while also never being anything other than a child. As director Field-Smith didn't do anything that really marked him out for me but his handling of the central scene in the front room was good (and clever close shots on Furst compared to the higher and wider shots of Magnus).

Overall then a simple idea that is used to produce an enjoyable and amusing sketch-like short film. Worth a look as, for three minutes, it did tickle me somewhat.

IP Logged

YoungArthur
BA Moderator

Hagrid's Helper

Reply #3 - 11. Mar 2007 at 20:15
Print Post  
Sweet and funny. I love it.

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui