Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Print
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (Read 22,082 times)
TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
07. Apr 2008 at 23:14
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I listened to this book, and it was pretty good, and now I see that there is a film slated to be released for it!  I don't know the actor playing the main kid (9-year old Bruno, played by 8-year old Asa Butterfield) and the secondary kid (9-year old Shmuel played by Jack Scanlon).  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

It's slated for release on 20 June 2008 in UK and 31 July 2008 in Australia.

A pretty good link to an interview with the author about the movie is here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Summary of the movie/book (from the wikipedia entry):

This book is a story about a nine year old boy trying to understand what is happening around him in (Out-With) Auschwitz during World War II.

The main character, a nine year-old boy called Bruno, is the son of strict commander of a Nazi concentration camp. He has a strong headed sister, Gretel (the Hopeless Case). They live in a five story mansion, but are one day suddenly moved to a place called Out-With (Auschwitz).[4] Bruno, outraged by his father's decision to move to Out-With, and desperate to go home, spends his time in his room with no friends. He is also annoyed by the fact that they live in a three story house instead of their old five-story mansion, and with such a small space, there isn't any room for exploration (a hobby of Bruno's) to be done. He also misses sliding down the banister in their old house.

From his bedroom window, Bruno spots a fence with people in striped pjamas behind it. These are the Jews, and they are in a concentration camp. One day his parents come to an agreement that both Bruno and Gretel (his sister) need a tutor for their education so they hire Herr Liszt. To Bruno, Herr Liszt is the most boring teacher one could ever have - because he teaches science (such as geography and history), instead of the arts, which Bruno prefers. So, in boredom and confusion he wonders what is going on at Out-With and why people are always dressed in striped pyjamas there. One afternoon he goes exploring. What he finds is a boy, a Jewish boy called Shmuel, a name Bruno has never heard of before but apparently is quite common among Shmuel's own people. He soon becomes Bruno's friend and Bruno goes to see him every afternoon and they talk. Bruno is told by his sister that the people in the striped pyjamas on the other side of the fence are Jews and that he and his family are "the opposite". Shortly after this, Bruno and Gretel get a bad case of lice and Bruno has to have his head shaved. This makes him look a lot more like his friend Shmuel and he finds himself thinking that it is as if "they weren't all that different, really."

The story ends with Bruno about to leave Out-With and return to his previous home with his mother and sister. As a final adventure, he agrees to dress in a set of striped pyjamas and climb under a loose wire in the fence to help Shmuel find his father, who has gone missing in the camp. They do not accomplish this task, and just as it starts to rain and Bruno decides he would like to go home, the people in the area of the camp which the boys are in must go on a 'march'. Neither boy knows where this march will lead. However, they are crowded into a gas chamber, where chaos ensues, yet they discover the bonds of their friendship are very tight.

The book ends with the effects of Bruno's disappearance on his family, and his father discovering his clothes outside of the fence.

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Re: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Reply #1 - 13. Apr 2008 at 04:34
Print Post  
Thanks for the tip Swede.

This is the first I have heard of this films. It appears that it will be an award friendly specialty item in the US with Miramax being the distributor and release date scheduled for Fall as it stands now....

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #2 - 29. Apr 2008 at 19:00
Print Post  

« Last Edit: 05. Feb 2009 at 11:10 by hosenhaus »  

IP Logged

nicolas
Platinum Member

Toi mon amour, toi qui
a le cœur lourd mon amour

Reply #3 - 13. May 2008 at 15:08
Print Post  
Pajamas?  We don't need no stinking pajamas!  (it worked with Bogart)

Guess that's not a great remark for a film with this topic.  Despite this, it is a very excellent film.  

Just wanted to say hi to the group here..... can't keep up with where this site is, but maybe can get around now and then.

The film festival begins here in Cannes this week, so am going to be a bit busy.  But nice to see all again.

Nick
« Last Edit: 13. May 2008 at 17:20 by nicolas »  

IP Logged

Zabladowski
BA Moderator

The Wish Meister

Reply #4 - 24. May 2008 at 03:46
Print Post  
Hi nicolas,
I hope you'll post back and let us know what will be worth seeing from the offerings at Cannes.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #5 - 05. Feb 2009 at 06:16
Print Post  
Just bumping this thread... although another one has been started ...

The DVD for this will be released on 10 March 2009 (I think I read that).  The sole rating for this movie in the database (Zab) gives it a *10* so... I'm going to get my hands on it for sure!

Any other comments / ratings just lurking out there?  I'll bump the other thread too, if I find it!

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #6 - 17. Feb 2009 at 21:47
Print Post  
Just my luck to have caught this movie right in between its theatrical release and its DVD release... it's not available for viewing anywhere right now!

First I'm too early, then I'm too late!  Arg!

IP Logged

cls
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 18. Feb 2009 at 03:05
Print Post  
TheSwede wrote on 17. Feb 2009 at 21:47:
Just my luck to have caught this movie right in between its theatrical release and its DVD release... it's not available for viewing anywhere right now!

First I'm too early, then I'm too late!  Arg!

one word: aXXo

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #8 - 18. Feb 2009 at 04:34
Print Post  
It is available for download on usenet in
alt.binaries.movies.divx.

check it out if you have access to a premium news server then go buy it when it comes out on DVD.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #9 - 18. Feb 2009 at 06:03
Print Post  
well, if it's already "available" online, I suppose it's a cinema cam... probably not a high quality production... but you're right, certainly once it' comes out on DVD!

IP Logged

cal-Q-L8
Platinum Member

Admin

Reply #10 - 18. Feb 2009 at 07:34
Print Post  
Nope not cinema cam, it's a divx rip, 700mb or so, pretty decent quality. I don't know how they acquire these films ahead of their DVD releases but the quality is usually pretty good. A good deal better than video quality, but not as sharp as a proper DVD quality.

I have a limited budget and find it a very useful way of deciding what DVDs I want to buy.

IP Logged

TheSwede
Platinum Member

Tack ska du ha.

Reply #11 - 20. Feb 2009 at 18:51
Print Post  
cal-Q-L8 wrote on 18. Feb 2009 at 07:34:
Nope not cinema cam, it's a divx rip, 700mb or so, pretty decent quality. I don't know how they acquire these films ahead of their DVD releases but the quality is usually pretty good. A good deal better than video quality, but not as sharp as a proper DVD quality.

Well, I got my hands on one, and it was quite nice!  Incredible...

Thanks for the tip!  It was a very touching movie, and was quite similar to the book.  Nicely done.  I sure hope Asa shows up in some more movies before too long!  Such INCREDIBLE blue eyes!

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #12 - 16. Apr 2009 at 11:33
Print Post  
I guess I'm the late comer again. I just got ahold of this film from the video store. It was a very well done movie about a very dark day in the history of human events. Although I'm not real big on "message movies" for entertainment purposes I thought that this movie was done in such a way that not only would it be a film suitable for youngsters of say PG-13 age to go see I think it is a Must See film for the kids of today to see lest the new generation not forget the lessons of the past in the hopes that this painful part of human history not repeat itself.

I think that both of these boys turned in outstanding performances especially given both their young ages (8 years old) and the powerful subject matter and story line. I'm not sure that I can honestly say which performance was the better one nor do I really wish too. They were both great. I found it easy to become attached to both children and to care about both of the boys to the point when the stark ending of the film came I was moved to tears. Either they did a really good job of acting or I'm just becoming a bigger wimp as time goes on. I had to tell myself after the movie was over that it was alright. They are just actors in a movie and they really aren't dead. But then it hit me that unfortunately for many young children in the 1940's it did happen. Many children on both sides lost their lives like many others throughout the course of human events do to the folly of the adults running the world around them. That's when the tears really came. So sad.

On a lighter note I do hope to see more from both of these boys. Especially little Aza Butterfield. Those piercing eyes are something to behold and he is talented beyond his years.  Well, enough of my insane babblings. Definitely rent this movie and add it to your collection.

IP Logged

silentsurfer

BA Member

Reply #13 - 19. Apr 2009 at 14:18
Print Post  
As I mentioned on B.O.Y.S. , I just saw it Friday night. Both boys were extraordinary. Some feel that the film is too manipulative and unrealistic. I thought that injecting kids into this setting and focusing on them was completely emotionally gut-wrenching and immensely powerful. I couldn't see it again though. I found it too difficult.

IP Logged

Phenom
Gold Member

Party Like A Rockstar!!!

Reply #14 - 27. Apr 2009 at 03:08
Print Post  
silentsurfer wrote on 19. Apr 2009 at 14:18:
As I mentioned on B.O.Y.S. , I just saw it Friday night. Both boys were extraordinary. Some feel that the film is too manipulative and unrealistic. I thought that injecting kids into this setting and focusing on them was completely emotionally gut-wrenching and immensely powerful. I couldn't see it again though. I found it too difficult.

I don't think it is manipulative or unrealistic. No doubt this story was repeated in one form or another many times during those days. I do think that it a film that is more geared toward telling the story of the Holocost in a way that children would relate to more than it was for adults. I agree that it was an emotionally gut-wrenching film and in particular the ending. Although I'm sure I'll watch it again.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Print